P90X... starting a new thread...

Options

Replies

• mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Jess,

Question for you. When you did your doubles with running, how much did you bump up your calories? I'm trying to lose weight, so I'm keeping myself at a deficit. I don't find myself bonking during workouts, but I don't want to make my body think it's starving. I do eat every 3 hours with a lean protein at every meal and all that jazz :smile: , but I was just wondering if you made any adjustments to your calories.

M
  • sandy429
    sandy429 Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Jess,

Another question for you . . .

Have you used P90X+? I have the DVDs and am planning on starting as soon as I'm done with this round of P90X (my 3rd). If you have used it, how do the workouts compare?

Thanks for all of your advice!

Sandy
  • littleluvbug
    littleluvbug Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Just completed day one! I was so afraid I wasn't going to be able to make it, but I really surprised myself! I was so embarrassed when we did measurements, I am bigger than my hubby in my thighs and hips! :blushing: But that WILL change. Here we go, day one was today!
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker::drinker: Awesome start!!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    You took that first step, and pressed play! My hubby is going to try it, but we can't do it together because our schedules conflict. Yesterday when I did Plyometrics for the first time, I locked myself in the garage and told him he couldn't come in until I was finished, because I didn't want him to walk in and see me crawling across the floor:laugh:. Not that he'd laugh at me or anything. Well, maybe just a little bit...
  • TheBull50
    Options
    Hey everyone. So I haven't done day three just yet. I woke up this morning and was still a little sore from day number 1 & 2 but I have set the goal to do Shoulders and Tri's when I get hoe from TKD.

Jess,

I just wanted to know about my diet. I am not going by the diet in the program but rather sticking to the diet that I has helped me get to the point that I am at now. That should be ok , right? The diet won't affect getting results on the program will it?
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Jess,

Another question for you . . .

Have you used P90X+? I have the DVDs and am planning on starting as soon as I'm done with this round of P90X (my 3rd). If you have used it, how do the workouts compare?

Thanks for all of your advice!

Sandy

Yep, I sure have! That's exactly what I did, I think it was round 3 for me? They are different from the regular X, not going for a set number of reps, but timed reps (a minute of bicep curls instead of just going for 8-10, etc). Lots of great varieties of pullups (L-pullups, 7 point pullups), different pushups (spiderman pushups). And if you like Plyo, you'll love Interval+ and there is a Kenpo+ that is a LOT more intense than the original Kenpo. Also an Abs/ Core Plus that uses the bar for some standing/ hanging abs. Anyway... I highly recommend them to someone that has already gone through P90X!! I have some hybrid workouts I can send you if you want! :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Hey everyone. So I haven't done day three just yet. I woke up this morning and was still a little sore from day number 1 & 2 but I have set the goal to do Shoulders and Tri's when I get hoe from TKD.

Jess,

I just wanted to know about my diet. I am not going by the diet in the program but rather sticking to the diet that I has helped me get to the point that I am at now. That should be ok , right? The diet won't affect getting results on the program will it?

I don't think you have to follow the diet in the program exactly to get results, but you do need to keep the diet clean and try to follow the guidelines. (ie, lower the carbs for the first phase, more protein) But yes, the diet WILL affect your results if you're eating junk! :laugh:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Just completed day one! I was so afraid I wasn't going to be able to make it, but I really surprised myself! I was so embarrassed when we did measurements, I am bigger than my hubby in my thighs and hips! :blushing: But that WILL change. Here we go, day one was today!

YEAH! Great job! That's another thing that is great about P90X... it makes you push yourself harder than you thought possible! And that's a great feeling of accomplishment! :bigsmile: And just wait til those measurements start to shrink! :drinker:
  • TheBull50
    Options
    def not eating junk at all. I am getting the protien I need and I eat 5 smaller meals throughout the day.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Jess,

Question for you. When you did your doubles with running, how much did you bump up your calories? I'm trying to lose weight, so I'm keeping myself at a deficit. I don't find myself bonking during workouts, but I don't want to make my body think it's starving. I do eat every 3 hours with a lean protein at every meal and all that jazz :smile: , but I was just wondering if you made any adjustments to your calories.

M

Hey girl! I was not strictly counting my calories at that time, but what I'm doing now (running and doing ChaLean Extreme) is that I eat more on my longer run days and make sure I'm fueled. I eat less on my shorter workout days and just try to follow my body's hunger cues. Some days I feel starving and I know as long as I'm reaching for something healthy then my body needs the fuel! :wink: I've lost about 7# now in the last couple months so it's working for me!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    def not eating junk at all. I am getting the protien I need and I eat 5 smaller meals throughout the day.

Good for you then! I get a lot of questions about eating and people seem to think they can eat what they want as long as they are doing the workouts. :huh: You *can* but it does make a difference on your results!

I also do the smaller meals, it's a great way to keep your metabolism up! :drinker:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Also if you are trying to create a deficit, make sure that when you figure out your nutrition level on page 5 of the Nutrition Plan, use your goal weight and not your current weight. And, as Jess said, never go too low. Your body will go into starvation mode, and you will not see the changes you desire -- nor will you have the energy to BRING IT.

Yep, good suggestion. You will not have energy and you want to be building muscle so you can burn more fat. Not burning your precious muscle! :noway:
  • TheBull50
    Options
    Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar
    112 17 57 1,520 33

That's pretty much what the day looks like. Is it terrible?
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    112 17 57 1,520 33

Protein looks low. What was the total calorie intake? And did you end up doing CardioX last night??
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    112 17 57 1,520 33

I am assuming that is grams of each. So your total calories looks pretty low. I don't have all of the details, but you have lost a lot of weight, now that you are thinner you weight loss will be much slower. Also, you will want to have less of a caloric deficit than you previously had to make sure you don't lose muscle. I would shoot for around a 200 for your daily caloric deficit. This would be about 1 pound every two weeks (pounds of fat). You may actually gain some weight if you are adding muscle.

So, just a little caution...what worked for you in the past may not be the best for you in your current condition.

You have had wonderful success and I hope you continue to your goal. If you want it to be as healthy as possible, make sure your caloric deficit isn't too much. Also, you may want to add more protein now to help with muscle growth. A healthy amount is .7 to .9 grams per pound of body weight.

This, of course is just my opinion.

Cheers!
  • emdede
    Options

That was day one for me too! Good for us:drinker:
  • TheBull50
    Options
    taking in about 1100 calories daily and with running and P90X , estimated I burn about 800 between both. I actually got home late last night so didn't have a chance to do Cardio X. Tonight I am doing Shoulders, Triceips and AbX ( The 3rd DVD in the set) so I am pretty siked about that
  • emdede
    Options
    Also if you are trying to create a deficit, make sure that when you figure out your nutrition level on page 5 of the Nutrition Plan, use your goal weight and not your current weight. And, as Jess said, never go too low. Your body will go into starvation mode, and you will not see the changes you desire -- nor will you have the energy to BRING IT.

Great suggestion! I always seem to work best when I have a concrete number to use as a standard. With that said, I've learned to use caloric intake as a guide but don't get fanatical with it. If I'm hungry I eat something healthy. Thanks!
  • littleluvbug
    littleluvbug Posts: 137 Member
    Options

That was day one for me too! Good for us:drinker:

Congrats!!!! What program are you doing? Classic, Lean or Doubles? We're doing Classic. We just got done doing Plyo this morning and it is so nice to have someone to laugh with at yourself!! But I made it! Ready for day 3, I think!!!
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options

Your diet has obviously worked great for you, but it may be time to re-evaluate your diet in an attempt to reach your goal. P90X will eventually break down your body if you are not taking in enough calories. Be careful with a large caloric deficit with only a few pounds left to go. Your body will burn whatever it can burn the easiest. At some point that becomes your muscles if you are not taking in enough food for the energy.

I am not trying to be Mr. Negative, I am trying to help you reach your goal in the healthiest way possible. If you continue down your current path you may reach your goal weight, but you will be skinny and very soft. Not necessarily a good thing.