Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Thoughts on Beyond Burger and other fake meat

Options

Replies

• onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    onward1 wrote: »
    They look gross. Not much of a meat eater here, but if I wanted meat why would I eat something fake? Pretend meat,lol. And in my experience most fake stuff has alot of sodium, I wouldn't know about this product, as I walked past it in the store, like I said, it looked gross.

Because I'm a vegetarian and don't want to kill an animal?

I had no idea that there's vegan's out there who are craving meat, interesting. Does that mean you don't use any leather products, as leather is from an animal ?
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options

As far as the original topic, I won't be trying any meat replacers any time soon it just seems a little weird to me. If I want to eat a burger I want it to be meat. If I want to eat vegetables I will eat vegetables. [/quote]

^This. No judgement here, eat what you like. Beyond burger is fake meat and the fact that it's made to look real is comical to me, sorry if that offends anyone. Personally, I don't eat burgers, or much meat, but when I want a NY strip steak stuffed with bleu cheese, then ya, I want the real deal.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    onward1 wrote: »
    As far as the original topic, I won't be trying any meat replacers any time soon it just seems a little weird to me. If I want to eat a burger I want it to be meat. If I want to eat vegetables I will eat vegetables.

^This. No judgement here, eat what you like. Beyond burger is fake meat and the fact that it's made to look real is comical to me, sorry if that offends anyone. Personally, I don't eat burgers, or much meat, but when I want a NY strip steak stuffed with bleu cheese, then ya, I want the real deal.

Having options is a good thing :wink:

Some vegans do like meat and miss it but struggle with the idea of eating real animals. If there wasn't a market for such a product it wouldn't have existed - there are people who prefer the fake thing for one reason or another. Thankfully, food preferences are personal and don't carry any inherent superiority.

If I had the choice, personally, I would go for the fake meat every time. I imagine beyond burger tastes close enough to the real thing but with less "meatiness". It's the meaty aftertaste that I dislike about meat and my burger is usually full of add ons and condiments to drown down the meaty aftertaste. I like burgers because of the way they make the bread taste, so close enough to the real thing but not the real thing would hit the spot for me.

*Edited to fix quotes
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,231 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting for Soylent Green.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    After41 wrote: »
    pg5qw8zt169w.jpg

Oh my. I don't want any of those ingredients. Well..water and salt for those pedantics.

It's okay to not want something. You don't have to eat the burger, It's such a niche item anyway. I just hope this fixation on ingredients in general (not the ingredients in this specific burger) is not causing anxiety around food. I personally want every single one of these ingredients because each one serves a purpose, otherwise it wouldn't be there. From nutritional profile to taste to color to texture to storage safely. I'll take it.

If it makes you feel any better, most people seem to only really care about these type of ingredients when they are in a meat replacement.

To be fair, a lot of the concern is because animal foods are nutritious, staple foods. When you replace them with ultra processed/novel foods there's good reason for caution. When you see how much money is being spent to create this market it's even more concerning.

In some sense, protein powder is also a replacement for animal protein, is about as ultra-processed as food gets, and there's a lot of money being spent to create that market, too. It seems like the range of reactions is different. Why?

(For clarity, I'm not criticizing either product, or the people who eat them.)

I think protein powders are seen more as a supplement than a replacement food--or at least that's my impression.

Except people are consuming protein powder when they could get protein from other sources, animal or vegetable. It is acting as a replacement for another food. Sure there are people who see it as a supplement, but it's replacing another food source. Note that I don't have any thoughts with regards to the health benefits of consuming or not consuming protein powder.

I don't think protein powder is viewed that way--bars and shakes are not mainstream meals. It's not sold in the meat case--it's in the diet, supplement, and health isles/stores.

The aim is not to create/satisfy a niche market with these alternate proteins. Have you read this from EAT-Lancet?

"However, the scale of change to the food system is unlikely to be successful if left to the individual or the whim of consumer choice. This change requires reframing at the population and systemic level. By contrast, hard policy interventions include laws, fiscal measures, subsidies and penalties, trade reconfiguration,and other economic and structural measures."

These types of statements, the lack of supporting science and the money involved should give everyone pause.

I agree that there's potentially some interesting debate over in that direction, about the macro-scale implications if the ambitions of some faux-meat producers really get traction. It's multi-dimensional: Both camps have strong lobbies (one more mature), there are variant ecological implications, certainly there are economic implications, there may be nutritional implications (perhaps in the realm beyond known macro/micronutrient needs), and much more.

That wasn't really the focus of the discussion though, at the point you entered with a comment about relative nutrition, the more micro-focused aspect of the situation that was in play at the time.

The focus was on why the nutritional implications and ultra-processed-ness of faux meat products seems to get more attention (mostly negative) than other equally ultra-processed products. I think there's a cultural aspect there, some psychological factors, some emotion - not necessarily in you, personally - but in the seeming overall tendency for faux meats to catch an extra-special amount of critique over processing and ingredients.

We've probably beaten that dead horse enough, though. I just wanted to point out that I felt there was a shift of scale happening in these few posts, and agree that there could be a lively debate on those more macro-level implications, too., even though it's not the same debate. :)
  • Mov3mor3
    Mov3mor3 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    1 g fiber according to this.

The photo you included in your own post has 3 g.

It was quoted from an old post someone in the forum posted. 3 g is way too much for someone who would eat 2 or 3 servings of this.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options

It was quoted from an old post someone in the forum posted. 3 g is way too much for someone who would eat 2 or 3 servings of this.

Huh? Why is 3g of fiber too much??
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

Huh? Why is 3g of fiber too much??

or even 9g if someone is eating 3 servings of this?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

Huh? I don't understand.

I guess someone might eat 2-3 servings of burger per day, but I think that would be unusual for a plant-based eater.

And 3g x 3 servings is 9g of fiber . . . my (roughly) 1 cup of black beans at last night's dinner had around 15g fiber all by itself, in a day that had only 36g total (low, for me). Why would 9g be "way too much"?

I feel like I'm misunderstanding something about what you're trying to say.

Maybe the poster forgot we were talking about fiber and is saying 3 g of carbs is too much?

Because saying 3 g of fiber is too much is bizarre -- personally, I try to get around 50 g per day, although I don't always (depends on my bean consumption, usually, as my veg and fruit and nut/seed consumption is pretty consistent most days.)

Anyway, I agree with those who say it's odd to assume one would consume 2-3 servings of the product -- personally I don't consume 2-3 servings of ground beef, so why would I consume 2-3 servings of fake beef (hypothetically)?
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    As a small farmer that grows or raises the majority of what my family consumes I HATE getting advise from people who don't grow or raise anything. I have found that the loudest most annoying people who preach about not eating meat and only eating organic don't grow anything they consume. I totally support people to eat whatever they want and live the lifestyle that makes you feel the best physically and emotionally. When it comes to food I am a firm believer that if you aren't growing or raising it yourself you shouldn't be on your soap box lecturing others.

I have a close friend that chose to go vegetarian after working as a butcher for years. He turned his entire small backyard into a garden. He lives in Colorado and his yard is 20 feet by 20 feet and he grows what he can with the changing seasons. He even has a small enclosed greenhouse to grow small fruit trees on his back porch. He has been promoting his neighbors to grow more even if they don't choose to go full vegan or vegetarian. He gives his neighbors seeds from his crops and helps them set up irrigation systems and teaches them about soil PH and other gardening tips.

If you want to sway people one way or the other lead by example.

"You catch more bees with honey than vinegar"

Yeah when 7% of the US adult population thinks chocolate milk comes from brown cows there is probably a need for some more education on what we eat before opening mouths.

https://texashillcountry.com/chocolate-milk-brown-cows/
  • wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    As a small farmer that grows or raises the majority of what my family consumes I HATE getting advise from people who don't grow or raise anything. I have found that the loudest most annoying people who preach about not eating meat and only eating organic don't grow anything they consume. I totally support people to eat whatever they want and live the lifestyle that makes you feel the best physically and emotionally. When it comes to food I am a firm believer that if you aren't growing or raising it yourself you shouldn't be on your soap box lecturing others.

I have a close friend that chose to go vegetarian after working as a butcher for years. He turned his entire small backyard into a garden. He lives in Colorado and his yard is 20 feet by 20 feet and he grows what he can with the changing seasons. He even has a small enclosed greenhouse to grow small fruit trees on his back porch. He has been promoting his neighbors to grow more even if they don't choose to go full vegan or vegetarian. He gives his neighbors seeds from his crops and helps them set up irrigation systems and teaches them about soil PH and other gardening tips.

If you want to sway people one way or the other lead by example.

"You catch more bees with honey than vinegar"

Yeah when 7% of the US adult population thinks chocolate milk comes from brown cows there is probably a need for some more education on what we eat before opening mouths.

https://texashillcountry.com/chocolate-milk-brown-cows/

That only proves that a good percentage of the population is stupid. I'm not saying that more education is a bad thing, but let's face it, there are always going to be uneducated people regardless of the topic. Some people have zero interest in learning.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

Huh? I don't understand.

I guess someone might eat 2-3 servings of burger per day, but I think that would be unusual for a plant-based eater.

And 3g x 3 servings is 9g of fiber . . . my (roughly) 1 cup of black beans at last night's dinner had around 15g fiber all by itself, in a day that had only 36g total (low, for me). Why would 9g be "way too much"?

I feel like I'm misunderstanding something about what you're trying to say.

Maybe the poster forgot we were talking about fiber and is saying 3 g of carbs is too much?

Because saying 3 g of fiber is too much is bizarre -- personally, I try to get around 50 g per day, although I don't always (depends on my bean consumption, usually, as my veg and fruit and nut/seed consumption is pretty consistent most days.)

Anyway, I agree with those who say it's odd to assume one would consume 2-3 servings of the product -- personally I don't consume 2-3 servings of ground beef, so why would I consume 2-3 servings of fake beef (hypothetically)?

I eat a low-ish fiber diet (top out at 15-20 g max per day, depending on symptoms) and don't see a problem with the 3g in the Beyond Meat. I can't imagine eating 2-3 servings of any kind of ground meat/faux meat in one sitting, though.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    pg5qw8zt169w.jpg

Oh my. I don't want any of those ingredients. Well..water and salt for those pedantics.

It's okay to not want something. You don't have to eat the burger, It's such a niche item anyway. I just hope this fixation on ingredients in general (not the ingredients in this specific burger) is not causing anxiety around food. I personally want every single one of these ingredients because each one serves a purpose, otherwise it wouldn't be there. From nutritional profile to taste to color to texture to storage safely. I'll take it.

If it makes you feel any better, most people seem to only really care about these type of ingredients when they are in a meat replacement.

To be fair, a lot of the concern is because animal foods are nutritious, staple foods. When you replace them with ultra processed/novel foods there's good reason for caution. When you see how much money is being spent to create this market it's even more concerning.

To be clear, the food being "replaced" by the Impossible Whopper is the regular Whopper. Is that argument that someone is losing out on a nutritious staple food if they make that swap?