Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Thoughts on Beyond Burger and other fake meat

Options

Replies

• magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Sylphadora wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Sylphadora wrote: »
    pg5qw8zt169w.jpg
    Nope

Considering your profile says you will only eat "Meat. Eggs. Fish. Raw cheese. 100% chocolate" I suspect the fact that you won't eat a Beyond Burger doesn't really set it apart from all sorts of stuff that people interested in vegetarian burgers would be fine with, including pretty much everything they eat.
    I am very anti-processed food. I don't care if it's vegan or not. If you wanna be vegan, be vegan, but be a clean vegan. I do eat meat yet there is a lot of meat I don't buy because it has unnecessary ingredients. I watch where I put my money.

Truly raw food veganism is pretty unsustainable - on the personal level, not environmental. Most research on actually adhering raw vegans shows they tend to be underweight and malnourished based on blood work as far as I'm aware. Some level of supplementing and some level of processing, even if done personally, are going to be involved in maintaining a vegan diet.

Anecdotally, virtually every person I have heard of that abandoned veganism due to health problems was someone who was doing raw veganism, layering veganism with additional restrictions (like extended fasts), or demonstrating a hyperfocus on eating "clean." Even assuming it was nutritionally sustainable, the amount of time you'd need to dedicate to food prep would be prohibitive for most people. The balance of nutritional rewards to effort spent would be way off.

Which is probably not very distinct from the result of stacking up any random collection of multiple restrictive regimens, and not being as well informed as one should be about nutrition. :(

Okay, so what's the free square in restrictive regiment bingo? Is it clean?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,991 Member
    Options
    oh dear, this thread is going to keep going forever - just when refuting a claim like Pet food is same as veggie burgers!! is exhausted in pops another newbie with something like All processed food is bad!! and off we go again........

at least the pet food angle was a new one - all processed food is bad!! has been done to death in so many threads already...

carry on......
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,227 Member
    Options
    Clean, slow, vegan, Keto soup. Made in a slow cooker. Without gluten.

That's pretty restrictive.

I will stop contributing to the problem. This will be my last post on this debate. I never even MENTIONED fake meat!
  • rodnichols69
    rodnichols69 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    3kygdq15niey.jpg

There are lots of ingredients that are perfectly safe for human consumption, but are also used in animal food or even in inedible products.

It's classic blogosphere fear mongering to suggest you shouldn't consume an ingredient because it's sometimes used in a product you wouldn't consume.

Water is the first ingredient in many toxic household cleaners, for example the Soft Scrub I just used to clean my sink. Do you really want to drink something that makes up the majority of Soft Scrub?

ETA: And considering the movement toward all-natural, whole food pet foods, not to mention the homemade pet food trend, I'd hazard a guess that many pet owners are buying a pet food because it has the kind of ingredients they would eat. The pet food market ain't what it used to be :wink:

Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols, Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Sodium Ascorbate, Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin B12.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    3kygdq15niey.jpg

There are lots of ingredients that are perfectly safe for human consumption, but are also used in animal food or even in inedible products.

It's classic blogosphere fear mongering to suggest you shouldn't consume an ingredient because it's sometimes used in a product you wouldn't consume.

Water is the first ingredient in many toxic household cleaners, for example the Soft Scrub I just used to clean my sink. Do you really want to drink something that makes up the majority of Soft Scrub?

ETA: And considering the movement toward all-natural, whole food pet foods, not to mention the homemade pet food trend, I'd hazard a guess that many pet owners are buying a pet food because it has the kind of ingredients they would eat. The pet food market ain't what it used to be :wink:

Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols, Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Sodium Ascorbate, Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin B12.

I assume this is the ImpossibleWhopper? I went through the BeyondBurger so will address these (which are quite different from the ingredient list on my pet food, btw (as the top three ingredients there are water, the animal the protein is from, and [insert that animal] liver). It is also quite different from the BeyondBurger ingredients (BB has no soy), which is why it makes more sense to address the specific products individually). Anyway:

Soy protein, potato protein -- anyone who consumes protein powder shouldn't have an issue

Coconut oil -- all the rage in keto circles, I cook with it some myself

Sunflower oil -- eh, just a vegetable oil

natural flavors -- in almost everything (including the vast majority of protein powders)

methylcellulose -- it's basically the fiber in plants so anyone who eats veg shouldn't have an issue, and certainly anyone who ever uses a fiber supplement or a food with added fiber should not

Yeast -- eh, I cook with it (same with starch)

dextrose -- it's a sugar, common in gels and such, can't be much of it given the sugar content of the product

The rest of the names that may be confusing are generally vitamin supplements, so anyone who takes those (or eats foods that include them) shouldn't care.

I'm generally in favor of whole foods as my source of nutrients for the most part, but absolutely nothing in this list looks scary or like it's something that one could not include on occasion in a healthy diet. I'd personally think a diet without veg or fruit would be way more problematic for health reasons than occasionally eating this.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    3kygdq15niey.jpg

Ok. Those are ingredients. Is there something there I shouldn't want to consume?
  • rodnichols69
    rodnichols69 Posts: 83 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    My point was that this is not fear mongering.as some one assumed. Understand what you are eating. There are good options and there are bad. My neighbor makes incredible veggie burgers from scratch using ingredients we can pronounce.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Ultrafiltered Whey Protein Concentrate [which contains Beta-Lactoglobulin, Alpha-Lactalbumin and Glycomacropeptides], Microfiltered Whey Protein Isolate), Maltodextrin, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Cellulose Gum, Soy Lecithin, Xanthan Gum, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose.

=

Pure Protein Vanilla Whey Protein Powder

Just one of many possible "alternative protein" products, so much more clean, whole, pronounceable than those fake-meat burgers. Not.

(Both are products that I think it's fine for people to consume, BTW.)