February 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    @TheMrWobbly i agree 100% with @Avidkeo on the shoe situation. The shoes can make or break your run as well as cause or prevent injury. With some shoes I am miserable and have the worst shin splints but in others I feel like I am flying.

I have spent a lot of money at our local running store because of their knowledge, resources, and they know what works. I have to budget and save, but I have found that it is worth it.

@Avidkeo NZ looks so beautiful! I want to run in a place like that! I am half Portuguese and Native American so I say I have hot blood = don’t bode well with the cold we are experiencing. Every time someone on here mentions that it is summer where they are I tell myself it will be summer here too again ...... someday ..... lol
    Anyway, your run looks beautiful!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    @Camaramandy648 do you have a foam roller? It might help with your hip. Are you doing any cross training? I’ve been working to increase hip strength and flexibility by cross training because I think it has contributed to my injury issues.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,618 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Well guys I ran 11k! 8d aimed for 12, but was happy with anything over 10k. I ended up stopping because I was starting to get a bit of tummy upset, which I actually had this morning before going out.

It was a fantastic run. I was listening to a podcast and just completely zoned out. There were a lot of people out, typical for a summer day in NZ really. My HR was mostly in zone 4, only creeping into zone 5 for 1min15sec! Such an improvement over the last few months. In the past I'd have had a good chunk of time in zone 5. I never, and still don't, really care but it's good to see the changes.

Pic at my turn around point:
    82ghb6dqx8hy.jpg

Well done you. That's great progress.
  • Camaramandy648
    @Camaramandy648 do you have a foam roller? It might help with your hip. Are you doing any cross training? I’ve been working to increase hip strength and flexibility by cross training because I think it has contributed to my injury issues.

@emmamcgarity tell me about the foam roller! Is it worth it? I see people rolling all over the floor on them at the gym and they look.... well.... they look like people rolling around on the floor ....

I AM doing cross training but i HAVE been thinking i may need to step it up. It’s been hard to be consistent with because running is so time consuming for our schedule but this week I have been prettt consistent! At the same time as trying not to overdo it ....

@LoveyChar you are SO CLOSE! I am SO excited for you!
  • Camaramandy648
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    Oh, one last thing! I got my last run in tonight before the big one - 2.2 miles!

@LoveyChar YOU ARE DOING IT! YEAHHH!!!!!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    @LoveyChar Good luck at your marathon!
    @hamsterwheel6 What a bummer! I agree with the advice to find a podiatrist who’s a runnner. My first ortho told me I shouldn’t ever try to run again, my second one said that was ridiculous. Guess what, still running.

• katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    It's time for the FEBRUARY 2020 Running Challenge!

WARNING: Following this thread may be addictive; it gets very talkative...miss a day and you can be 50 posts behind. This is the most popular challenge on MFP. If you found us in the middle (or end) of the month, you're still very welcome to join in - no requirements or special invite needed. Once you post, that's it you're in. And yes, we do this every month.

You set your own pace and distance for the month. We will all be doing it together. This is your virtual running group to help keep you accountable, to enjoy a virtual post-run coffee with your fellow runners, and to make new friends and learn a few things.

This is a continuation from the January 2020 Running Challenge which can be found at https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10776887/january-2020-monthly-running-challenge/p1

Anyone can join in, new and old, and if you found this thread late, you can join in at any time.
    We have members ranging from total beginners all the way to Boston Qualifiers and beyond. We are a friendly and encouraging bunch. You never need to be ashamed of your miles. If you are making the effort, you will find only support here.

Here are the details from last month that apply again:

Anybody want to join in for a running challenge? Set a goal here and update us every day. OPTIONAL: You can post your progress by creating a ticker at http://www.tickerfactory.com (if creating one seems difficult, or you're like me and can't be bothered, then just type in your daily miles in this thread).

You can run, walk, or do treadmill - just be consistent. Don't let the high (or low) goals of others intimidate you. Some do 25 miles, others do 50, some go higher than that, some do lower; it's entirely your goal and therefore completely up to you. We help motivate each other, so what do you say? If you're new to running, set a low goal. If you're from a part of the world where miles aren't your thing, log your distances in KMs. And if you'd rather log your progress by time rather than distance, then you're entirely free to do that as well.

Feel free to set your goal now but wait until FEBRUARY 1, 2020 to start logging your runs!

Also, don't forget to join our group which can be found at:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/21182-monthly-running-challenges
    Bookmark the previous and past challenges:https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10393468/current-past-challenges#latest
    Find a small group of runners that encourage and offer food support:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10573619/runners-that-need-some-nutritional-accountability#latest

There you will find lots of good info, and it's a place where everyone can talk to each other for further motivation. It's also a place to find help when there is a problem with this thread.

Note: we also have a group on Strava and Facebook.

After you run, come into this thread and post what you did (don't forget to hit the star in the upper right corner to bookmark this thread). Simply keep a running tally of what you've done this month, and interact with the others. Many folks come in here and chit-chat it up, even on their rest days or while recouping from injury. This is a very social group and we talk about many things (sometimes even about running ). It's a very friendly bunch here so don't be afraid to say hi (even if this is your first time), talk about a recent or up-coming race, ask questions, provide answers, or just lurk-n-learn. Participation is what makes this group successful.

Not quite sure how to log your runs? Follow the examples of many other challenge members. Even take a peek at last month's thread (posted above).

*******OPTIONAL TICKER*************
    Info on tickers since I know there will be questions. Sign up for an account at http://www.tickerfactory.com and create your ticker. Then you need to update it after you finish a run and post it here. Here is what you will need to do.

After setting up your ticker, you will need to make note of the weblink they give you so you can return. An example would be:

http://www.tickerfactory.com/exercise/w6K1EiX/ <<<< the last part will be a part of the image link (explained below) that will be supplied to you after you initially create your link.

When you return to TickerFactory with the weblink, go to your settings page. Make sure you type your PIN in that you set when you created your ticker account. Then, where it says "Your current cumulative value", there is an add button. Simply add the distance that you just did, and the cumulative value automatically changes. Then hit next.

After adding your new miles (or KMs) to your ticker, you need to post it here.

After you hit next, it will give you a bunch of codes suggesting how to display your ticker.
    Use the one at the bottom where it says Direct Image URL:

It will look something like:
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w6K1EiX/exercise.png

To display that correctly in your post, make sure you place the image (img) tags around that link. So it will look something like the following (but removing the spaces in the img tags):

[ img ] http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w6K1EiX/exercise.png [ /img ]

^^^^^^^ Don't forget to remove the spaces between the brackets ^^^^^^^^^^

Some key things to pay attention to when posting your ticker:
    Use the link that ends in .png
    Remember the [ img] and [ /img] tags go in between the link
    Remove the spaces in the img tags before posting
    YES, there is a / in the second /img tag

By the way, everyone here should consider themselves a runner no matter how fast or slow. There's no judgment, we all started somewhere. And no comparisons, except with your former self. Don't compare your Chapter 1 to somebody elses Chapter 20.

“I often hear someone say I’m not a real runner. We are all runners, some just run faster than others. I never met a fake runner.” – Bart Yasso

“The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.” – Confucius

"We all know that if you run, you are pretty much choosing a life of success because of it.” – Deena Kastor

“Most people run a race to see who is fastest. I run a race to see who has the most guts.” – Steve Prefontaine

“Get going … walk if you have to, but finish the damned race.” – Ron Hill

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn’t matter how fast or how far. It doesn’t matter if today is your first day or if you’ve been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." - John Bingham

I may suggest that a better quote than Confucius, is "the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" by Lao Tzu
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,618 Member
    Hello alll! I've been away from MFP for a while and found out I gained 40 pounds. I used to run a lot and hope this group will help me stay on track. For right now, I want to set a goal to run 1 mile a week

Welcome Katarina. We’re here to cheer you on!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    I will be running one of the largest marathons in Texas and in the country, recognized as one of the best in America! 20,000 runners will be gathered on the streets of Austin and I will be one of them!!!

So exciting! Sending you all the good vibes to run strong and trust your training. Most of all - ENJOY. A huge marathon is such an experience, take in all the sights and sounds. Keep moving one foot in front of the other and the finish will be there. We believe in you @LovelyChar - good luck!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    @LovelyChar W00T! Almost there! You got this! You gonna rock the socks off the race! :)
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    @ContraryMaryMary
    Great advice and I agree. My podiatrist is a runner, running coach and all. He always only does things to me that will keep me running. He's older so his philosophy is to just keep running, regardless of distance or speed.👍
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    @Avidkeo
    gorgeous picture! NZ is a bucket list place for me! When I am listening to a good book or podcast, the runs just fly by!