February 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    @janejellyroll I’m still stuck pondering the sort of person who casually considers adding 12 miles (there and back?) in 5 degree weather! I’m sorry you missed your race, glad you’re taking it with a good attitude.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    @janejellyroll I’m still stuck pondering the sort of person who casually considers adding 12 miles (there and back?) in 5 degree weather! I’m sorry you missed your race, glad you’re taking it with a good attitude.

Hahaha, a very stubbornly optimistic person!
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Tramboman wrote: »
    @janejellyroll I am so sorry to hear this! But! Silver lining - you burned a lot of calories and you still ran. Just not in the race. And you learned some important things, too.

@Tramboman what did you do before you retired? I am going to start investing more in my retirement. I would LOVE some days with very few responsibilities!

I served in the Army for 20 years, and swore I'd never run again.
    Then I was an Adult Probation Officer, starting out as the Collections Officer and retiring as the Deputy Chief.
    I also served as an Adjunct Instructor at a few Community Colleges. I taught one evening class per semester, ranging from basic composition to advanced composition classes.
    I was blessed to do what I did and equally blessed to be able to do what I do now.

@Tramboman thank you for your service !!!!!!

I would not like to be an adult probation officer. I don't think I'd ever be able to reconcile the myriad of opinions and ideas and processes I'd have to face daily.

You are an impressive, impressive human. Keep going!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Tramboman wrote: »
    @janejellyroll I am so sorry to hear this! But! Silver lining - you burned a lot of calories and you still ran. Just not in the race. And you learned some important things, too.

@Tramboman what did you do before you retired? I am going to start investing more in my retirement. I would LOVE some days with very few responsibilities!

I served in the Army for 20 years, and swore I'd never run again.
    Then I was an Adult Probation Officer, starting out as the Collections Officer and retiring as the Deputy Chief.
    I also served as an Adjunct Instructor at a few Community Colleges. I taught one evening class per semester, ranging from basic composition to advanced composition classes.
    I was blessed to do what I did and equally blessed to be able to do what I do now.

@Tramboman thank you for your service !!!!!!

I would not like to be an adult probation officer. I don't think I'd ever be able to reconcile the myriad of opinions and ideas and processes I'd have to face daily.

You are an impressive, impressive human. Keep going!

Thanks for your kind words.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Ok. So I stopped after work and got some Gatorade and a pack of M&M's. I started with water at 6 minutes, Gatorade at 12 minutes, alternating fluids every 6 minutes. There were 21 M&M's, so I divided 15 miles by 21 and found that 0.7 miles would get me to 14.7. Close enough. If the sugar doesn't hit the bloodstream for 20 minutes after consumption, anything at the tail end of the run doesn't much matter, anyway.

I got to 11 miles before I wanted to never run again. Here's my heart rate data. The little peaks are 1 minute intervals at 6.0(10:00/mile) and the majority of the run was at 5.1(11:46/mile.)
    z2gu5b0wfoyj.png

Adding sugar didn't help as much as I'd hoped. My lungs don't seem to be the problem, and I can usually push for a full hour at a higher heart rate than I attained for this whole run. I suppose I could still try slowing down more. I don't know if that will accomplish anything, or if I'll just give up at about the same *time* with a lesser distance accrued. The experiment is worthwhile.

exercise.png

I finished the Gatorade and all the M&M's, anyway.

Edited to add: Between keeping track of when the next interval, next M&M, next drink, and Zombies, Run! I was fully engaged the whole time!

Am I remembering correctly, that you were previously needing to stop around 10 miles, and this time made it a whole extra mile before that happened?

It does seem like maybe you're still worried about pace, though. I'm not sure it's going to work to go for both new distance AND a specific pace, right now, at the same time. But it will be totally fine if you prove me wrong on that!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Ok. So I stopped after work and got some Gatorade and a pack of M&M's. I started with water at 6 minutes, Gatorade at 12 minutes, alternating fluids every 6 minutes. There were 21 M&M's, so I divided 15 miles by 21 and found that 0.7 miles would get me to 14.7. Close enough. If the sugar doesn't hit the bloodstream for 20 minutes after consumption, anything at the tail end of the run doesn't much matter, anyway.

I got to 11 miles before I wanted to never run again. Here's my heart rate data. The little peaks are 1 minute intervals at 6.0(10:00/mile) and the majority of the run was at 5.1(11:46/mile.)
    z2gu5b0wfoyj.png

Adding sugar didn't help as much as I'd hoped. My lungs don't seem to be the problem, and I can usually push for a full hour at a higher heart rate than I attained for this whole run. I suppose I could still try slowing down more. I don't know if that will accomplish anything, or if I'll just give up at about the same *time* with a lesser distance accrued. The experiment is worthwhile.

exercise.png

Edited to add: Between keeping track of when the next interval, next M&M, next drink, and Zombies, Run! I was fully engaged the whole time!

Am I remembering correctly, that you were previously needing to stop around 10 miles, and this time made it a whole extra mile before that happened?

It does seem like maybe you're still worried about pace, though. I'm not sure it's going to work to go for both new distance AND a specific pace, right now, at the same time. But it will be totally fine if you prove me wrong on that!

I'm managing about an extra half mile each attempt. With or without extra fuel. I made one more extra half mile.

I do worry about pace. I'm going to try to set it aside, but I am doubtful that it is the problem. Does the heart rate data not sway you that pace might be appropriate?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    @janejellyroll Sorry you missed your race! I do have to say that sounds like the exact kind of mistake I might make though... if that helps :)
  • PastorVincent

z2gu5b0wfoyj.png

exercise.png

How many calories were you consuming and how fast? 21 M&Ms does not sound like nearly enough to make a difference. I have to double-check the number (or someone else can chime in) but I think it is more like 200 calories an hour as a target.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member

z2gu5b0wfoyj.png

exercise.png

I'm managing about an extra half mile each attempt. With or without extra fuel. I made one more extra half mile.

I do worry about pace. I'm going to try to set it aside, but I am doubtful that it is the problem. Does the heart rate data not sway you that pace might be appropriate?

I personally pay more attention to percieved effort level than in HR. There can be a lot of variability in HR data, but if your watch has the correct zones for you, almost your entire run was in red on the chart. That would make me think it was too fast... but I am definitely not an expert on that.

A little farther every time sounds about right. You're probably doing a LOT better than you think you are! Maybe your breakthrough is just around the corner. How's your sleep and recovery?
  • autumnblade75

z2gu5b0wfoyj.png

exercise.png

I personally pay more attention to percieved effort level than in HR. There can be a lot of variability in HR data, but if your watch has the correct zones for you, almost your entire run was in red on the chart. That would make me think it was too fast... but I am definitely not an expert on that.

A little farther every time sounds about right. You're probably doing a LOT better than you think you are! Maybe your breakthrough is just around the corner. How's your sleep and recovery?

Zones are correct, color, however much I try, I can't seem to influence. Note that it says 0 minutes Peak. Can talk without grunting at end of run, but after 2 hours of effort, not much interest in chatting - and nobody to talk to. Recovery is probably better than sleep. My legs feel ready to go again, except maybe my knees, and I'm pretty sure this is the new normal. It's been over a year, and they seem to feel the same no matter what I've been doing. Except kneeling and crawling. They REALLY don't like that anymore. Sleep. Heh. I went to bed 8 hours ago and tried the whole time to make sleep happen. Second day in a row I was still trying to fall asleep when the alarm went off.

To address fuel, for the others upthread. I played with some calculators yesterday, and It seems that I could have tried harder to fuel. I was shooting for replacing 25% of the calories I burn per mile, but I may have underestimated. The rule of thumb seems to be 30% of the calories. Translated to per hour, I SHOULD have been aiming for 160-180 calories. I was on target to hit 127 calories per hour. They were Hazelnut M&M's, and those 21 candies counted for 180 calories. Yes, a whole bottle of Gatorade. 32 ounces. 200 calories. Another 30-50 calories per hour should have made the magic happen? It's a small enough experiment. I can try again.
  • PastorVincent
    To address fuel, for the others upthread. I played with some calculators yesterday, and It seems that I could have tried harder to fuel. I was shooting for replacing 25% of the calories I burn per mile, but I may have underestimated. The rule of thumb seems to be 30% of the calories. Translated to per hour, I SHOULD have been aiming for 160-180 calories. I was on target to hit 127 calories per hour. They were Hazelnut M&M's, and those 21 candies counted for 180 calories. Yes, a whole bottle of Gatorade. 32 ounces. 200 calories. Another 30-50 calories per hour should have made the magic happen? It's a small enough experiment. I can try again.

Make sure those calories are from simple carbs though. Try something like gummy bears maybe? Nuts are not the best food for quick energy replacement.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    @janejellyroll Sorry you missed your race!

@autumnblade75 Hope you can figure out your fueling plan. I usually refuel with gu every 40 minutes on long runs, and they are 100 calories each, so I get about 150 an hour averaged.

No workout last night as I worked late and then finished packing for vacation! I did get in 2.4 miles on Sunday. Tonight, I will go to my pump class and try to get in a couple of miles after.

29.4 miles for February
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,508 Member
    I really need to get to grips with the HR Zones. According to my age based max HR of 171 so I am working in zone 3 which seems to suit me. I have a tempo run tomorrow which is zone 4 so I will see how we go.

My average on an 8.25 miles run last night was 141 with a peak of 160 on the two inclines . My HRR was 96, 89,84 so I don't think there is anything to worry about though it is confusing depending on who you listen to.

exercise.png

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    2-1 7k easy + yoga
    2-2 11k slow
    2-3 7k easy + resistance bands
    2-4 rest + yoga
    2-5 7k slow + resistance bands
    2-6 7k slow + yoga
    2-7 rest + resistance bands
    2-8 7k easy + yoga
    2-9 8.2k moderate
    2-10 7k moderate + resistance bands
    2-11 rest + yoga

February Total: 61.2k
    February Goal: 140k

January Total: 161k

Running rest day today.

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders
  • autumnblade75

Make sure those calories are from simple carbs though. Try something like gummy bears maybe? Nuts are not the best food for quick energy replacement.

I'm thinking of just replacing all fluids with Gatorade. 32 oz per hour. I know I already mentioned that gummy bears little arms and legs are a choking hazard for me. The M&M's really hammered home the point that I breathe differently when I'm eating - I prefer to TASTE my food, and trying to hurry up and chew the suckers well enough to swallow them before I accidentally breathed chocolate actually kind of SUCKED.