What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Kiwis are the devil's work. There... I said what I said.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Food is neutral. There are no moral or immoral foods. No clean or dirty. No good or bad.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    In the least Hannibal Lector like way - I really like eating liver.

No fava beans. Just sautéed. 😋🤗😉
  • Safari_Gal_
    edited February 2020
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    I love organ meats with liver and heart leading the race :)

Just_tomek - 🤗

Just saw this after my liver love declaration hehe.

By the way - I use heart in my meatloaf! 👍🏻👍🏻
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member

Just_tomek - 🤗

what does liver actually taste like??
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

Just_tomek - 🤗

Awful. It has a flavor that lingers. Mix of metallic taste and gaminess. It's too rich. The texture is slightly grainy but squishy at the same time. Have you ever had the misfortune of smelling liver while it's cooking? Yeah, you do taste that stinkiness. That was chicken liver I tried, and from what I've been told, beef tastes even stronger.
  • Safari_Gal_
    edited February 2020

Just_tomek - 🤗

@pancakerunner - I had to think about this awhile.... interested to see what @just_Tomek thinks too!

I’d say - good beef liver tastes mineral-y. I find the texture more defining than the taste. I like it when it’s pan seared, slightly soft (not mushy) inside and a slight crisp on the outside. I’ve always found good liver to be very mild tasting and no scent.
  • pancakerunner

Just_tomek - 🤗

@pancakerunner - I had to think about this awhile.... interested to see what @just_Tomek thinks too!

I’d say - good beef liver tastes mineral-y. I find the texture more defining than the taste. I like it when it’s pan seared, slightly soft (not mushy) inside and a slight crisp on the outside. I’ve always found good liver to be very mild tasting and no scent.

hmmm. I mean, I'd give it a try??
  • scottishrabbit
    scottishrabbit Posts: 7 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I find avocado disgusting.

I'm so glad i'm not the only one
  • Safari_Gal_

Just_tomek - 🤗

hmmm. I mean, I'd give it a try??

Yes!!! :) 👩‍🍳
  • pancakerunner
    From reddit: "Very irony/mineral-y, a lot like cooked blood only much better. Very earthy and beefy. I cook it with onions and bacon and it's glorious. I don't eat it very often, though. It took me a while to learn to appreciate it. Start with chicken livers. You'll find that the livers of various animals are very different tasting, though they have many flavors and textures in common."
  • Safari_Gal_
    From reddit: "Very irony/mineral-y, a lot like cooked blood only much better. Very earthy and beefy. I cook it with onions and bacon and it's glorious. I don't eat it very often, though. It took me a while to learn to appreciate it. Start with chicken livers. You'll find that the livers of various animals are very different tasting, though they have many flavors and textures in common."

Earthy is a good word for it!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Beer is disgusting. I have tried craft ones, “good ones”, all kinds. All are gross to me. The maltiness is what is bad.

ALL beer just tastes like dish washing liquid to me. Soapy!

Oddly I love Coriander (Cilantro) which is supposed to taste soapy to some genetically challenged people! 🤷‍♀️

Agreed. I love cilantro!
  • amusedmonkey
    Beer is disgusting. I have tried craft ones, “good ones”, all kinds. All are gross to me. The maltiness is what is bad.

Oddly I love Coriander (Cilantro) which is supposed to taste soapy to some genetically challenged people! 🤷‍♀️

Agreed. I love cilantro!

I don't love it or hate it, but it doesn't taste soapy to me. It just tastes like an herb.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited February 2020

Agreed. I love cilantro!

I don't love it or hate it, but it doesn't taste soapy to me. It just tastes like an herb.

I like it only in some dishes and it does taste a bit detergenty but fresh to me, I didn't realize that wasn't normal.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited February 2020
    As BarbaraHelen noted, there's a genetic thing that causes cilantro taste soapy (or I've also heard metallic) for some. Presumably some don't have that, but just don't like it that much, just as it's presumably possible to dislike rosemary or sage.

Cilantro does not taste soapy to me, and I do love it.
  • pancakerunner
    sardelsa wrote: »

Agreed. I love cilantro!

I like it only in some dishes and it does taste a bit detergenty but fresh to me, I didn't realize that wasn't normal.

The only dish/thing that cilantro actually adds value to is fresh pico de gallo
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    As BarbaraHelen noted, there's a genetic thing that causes cilantro taste soapy (or I've also heard metallic) for some. Presumably some don't have that, but just don't like it that much, just as it's presumably possible to dislike rosemary or sage.

Cilantro does not taste soapy to me, and I do love it.

I'm one of those soap-inclined cilantro people. My brother, interestingly, is not.
  • amusedmonkey
    Nutella is a horrible substance that has no place in the world.

I'll be more than happy to relieve you of that burden.