What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    One of the few who still think Quest bars are the superior protein bar haha
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    Lobster is just a butter-delivery device:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzq1FUTgXNA
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I love snails and am always surprised when people consider them weird or squicky, but I have to admit that if asked to describe what they taste like I'd probably say garlic and butter.
  • pancakerunner
    Sour and hard candies are terrible.
  • pancakerunner
    A little controversial, but

-golden oreos > classic oreos
    -cinnamon rolls are gross
    -pecan sticky buns are even worse
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited February 2020
    You have to be kidding!!! You always join in when we post craving cinnamon rolls with gobs of icing the if it didn’t have calories thread lol!! And you post the best photos of them and pecan rolls too!

Funny I’ve actually never had a golden Oreo.
  • pancakerunner
    You have to be kidding!!! You always join in when we post craving cinnamon rolls with out icing the if it didn’t have calories thread lol!! And you post the best photos of them and pecan rolls too!

Funny I’ve actually never had a golden Oreo.

vexwfgy4o8or.jpg
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member

wait...even Jolly Ranchers?? :'(
  • pancakerunner

wait...even Jolly Ranchers?? :'(

ESPECIALLY Jolly ranchers!
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I love snails and am always surprised when people consider them weird or squicky, but I have to admit that if asked to describe what they taste like I'd probably say garlic and butter.

This makes me think of the trip to New Orleans my mother, sister and I took many years ago - for Mardi Gras. My sister and I wanted to try alligator, but they came deep-fried, and all we tasted was the batter. I don't remember the texture, so I guess it didn't bother me.

I don't like most things that come in shells; not sure why, but that's the way it is. Includes shrimp and lobster, which my brother finds appalling.
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,841 Member

I agree with the golden oreos. Especially the mini ones.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    ejbronte wrote: »

This makes me think of the trip to New Orleans my mother, sister and I took many years ago - for Mardi Gras. My sister and I wanted to try alligator, but they came deep-fried, and all we tasted was the batter. I don't remember the texture, so I guess it didn't bother me.

I tried crocodile in South Africa. It was horrible -- kind of like the texture of undercooked chicken with a fishy taste -- but I suspect it wasn't the best prepared.
    I don't like most things that come in shells; not sure why, but that's the way it is. Includes shrimp and lobster, which my brother finds appalling.

I like most shellfish a lot -- shrimp, crab, clams, and oysters especially -- but lobster is only okay to me and I never really want it.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,533 Member

I tried crocodile in South Africa. It was horrible -- kind of like the texture of undercooked chicken with a fishy taste -- but I suspect it wasn't the best prepared.

I like most shellfish a lot -- shrimp, crab, clams, and oysters especially -- but lobster is only okay to me and I never really want it.

I actually liked alligator, aside of shark it's probably one of the "bravest" things I've tried aside of shark and snakethough it was fried, most of the things posted aren't things I'd be able to put in my mouth! I feel the same about lobster, I'd rather have something else and don't find it exciting at all. My aunt always wants to make it when we visit and would rather have sides and skip it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I find chips & salsa in Mexican restaurants to be very blah and the least yummy thing there.

I also think margaritas are meh.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Donuts...yuck
  • jguldi11
    jguldi11 Posts: 201 Member
    Mt. Dew is a syrupy garbage drink.
    Also, tacos are just okay.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Zoodles, coodles, zusketti, zuttuccini do not taste like pasta.

ZucchiniZoodlesP1000694.jpg
  • pancakerunner
    plant-based jerky... why??
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member

I would bet that the prep on the crocodile had a lot to do with that texture: it sounds like it was, maybe, undercooked? Fried food and I have a stressed relationship: I love the texture of fried stuff, as most people do, but I find that, often, what I taste is fry and not what's being fried. Either that, or I often get a big hint of oil, which I don't like at all. So for me, fried food is rare and far-between.

Long ago, visiting relatives in Spain, we spent a month at Torrenueva, at the shore. One evening, my father, his brother, my siblings and I strolled the beach. Sardines and crabs were being freshly smoked at a small shack-like eatery. We had some of both, and I have to say that, not only did I love the crab for the first and only time (so far) in my life, but that I still remember it as one of the nicest things I ever ate. Eating nice and calm, facing the ocean late in the evening, impromptu, with family, certainly contributed.