February 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Without even reading them, that's kind of what I suspected. Just a feeling lol

I have too many TBR books. This year I'm trying really hard to 1) not buy new books and 2) only read what I already have. I have failed on point 1 multiple times already. And then every week or so I have to see if anything new in Amazon Prime sounds good. I'm trying not to fill up my 10 books there. Currently only have 8. I have a problem.

10 books in Prime? What does that mean? I have Amazon prime of course...

It's Amazon Prime Reading. You can pick up to 10 kindle books to basically check out from the selections. You can keep them as long as you want. The selection changes every so often (I haven't found a pattern yet).
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Good morning, all!

Too many posts to respond to each of you individually!

I'll try, though -

@TheMrWobbly --- ONE MILLION?!?!?!?!?! YOU ARE A BOSS! What an accomplishment! Your dedication and commitment are SHINING!

@PastorVincent Yes. I am REALLY working on running my OWN race, focusing on MY training, while gaining all the wisdom I can. Comparison is the thief of joy. Comparison is a liar.

@Scott6255 Thank you! Your heart sounds so healthy!

@RunsOnEspresso I am greedy as crap with books. I'll give them away sometimes, but I have no shame in my shelves lined with books I've read. I have skimmed down my collection quite a bit, but there are so many I just won't part with. I hope they don't get thrown out or donated after I die. I hope my kids remember what they meant to me.... Morbid, I know, but I can't help thinking about why we hang on to the material things that we do....

@polskagirl01 I laughed right out loud - sure, eat the burrito. Have the beer. Do zero hard work.... good call....
    But then I think... if it's working for him........but then again - IS IT working? Surely he'd be on his way to an injury or something?

@mbaker566 Bottom line is that you did something. Also I love your pants. :)

@bearly63 YES! I JUST READ THE DUTCH HOUSE TOO! I LOVED IT. I felt like I was IN IT - the relationship between May and her brother reminds me so much of my relationship with my twin brother! The Silent Patient is going to be a PHENOMENAL movie. I am so excited.

I am HOPING to get in a run tonight. I started the Rocky movies with my son over the weekend - I have never seen them before !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know, I know, but I grew up in the country and we didn't have cable and we were so incredibly poor, so the idea of going to the movies or renting movies was the stuff of dreams and magic. We watched VHS recordings of Star Trek that my grandpa would bring from Indiana when he visited. Also Reading Rainbow and Ghost Writer. So... yep. Never seen em. I have heard about them and I love the storyline - the hard work and redemption of a life through hope and hard work. I digress.... I HOPE to run tonight BUT I promised my son we'd finish Rocky 3. We had to turn it off last night because bedtime, so we HAVE to finish it tonight. We will then either work on his lego set, play with his sister, or start Rocky 4. I am hoping I can squeeze in just maybe like thirty minutes of running between dinner and packing lunches and baths and fun.... My hip doesn't hurt but my knee doesn't seem to be happy with me. Maybe the doctor tomorrow.

It's hard to go to the doctor when the pain has mostly subsided....
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 I have been donating & giving away a lot of books but I still have a ton I can't part with. I love kindle for the ease of having hundreds of books at my fingertips but I hate that I can't lend out most of them (and if you can you can only lend it once) and I can't sell or donate (which are why I won't pay full price for kindle books). If I love a book I want to share it!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 137?!?!?!

I can’t even look at my heart rate when I run! Even on slow slow slow miles it’s 165-172. On faster intervals it’s like 181. Ive been told as well as read that this improves over time. The only real solution (for me anyway, since I am already anxiety ridden) is to stop thinking about it and just keep running.

But seriously. 137?!?!??? How!????

Do not do this :) His heart rate has nothing to do with yours. His could be 90 while sprinting uphill, and yours could be 190 at rest. There is no correlation between the numbers. No connection. There at zillions of factors at play, almost none of which you can control or change.

The only thing that matters in heart rate, assuming you use it for training, is your personal range. No external value matters.

@Camaramandy648 I agree with the good words from @PastorVincent . My RHR is 55-60 but spikes early in a run and flattens out ( not flatline ) at ~140 and slowly climbs from there. My brother RHR 40 - he spikes to 160 and then flattens out. We all have differant setpoints, just keep track of the trends in yours is the best advice a nurse gave me.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Without even reading them, that's kind of what I suspected. Just a feeling lol

I have too many TBR books. This year I'm trying really hard to 1) not buy new books and 2) only read what I already have. I have failed on point 1 multiple times already. And then every week or so I have to see if anything new in Amazon Prime sounds good. I'm trying not to fill up my 10 books there. Currently only have 8. I have a problem.

It's Amazon Prime Reading. You can pick up to 10 kindle books to basically check out from the selections. You can keep them as long as you want. The selection changes every so often (I haven't found a pattern yet).

Ah, okay I think I vaguely remember that. Since I primarily do audiobooks any more (time is so hard to come by - audiobooks allow me to read and run at the same time) I have not looked into it much.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

Ah, okay I think I vaguely remember that. Since I primarily do audiobooks any more (time is so hard to come by - audiobooks allow me to read and run at the same time) I have not looked into it much.

i do audiobooks while i am at work. getting 8 hours of reading in a day is awfully nice
  • Camaramandy648
    Options
    @johnisrunning I considered taking my kids to NY for a vacation this year. Because. My son thinks NY is Gotham City and also, we've never been.

Also considered it because I want to run in Central Park.

I'm not sure that is reason enough to make the trek with two kids, but eventually we'll get there. I have a feeling this year, we will go south again and lay around on the beach. :)
  • Camaramandy648
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

i do audiobooks while i am at work. getting 8 hours of reading in a day is awfully nice

@mbaker566 SAME. It's glorious.

@PastorVincent yep. I used to sneak outside to smoke a cigarette when my kids were babies and read a book, one smoke at a time. That was so long ago and so gross and I'm so glad I don't smoke anymore!
    I do miss the reading, though.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @mbaker566 @PastorVincent @Camaramandy648 I've tried several audiobooks and I just can't get into them. Which is odd since I listen to podcasts. I use my commute (bus) and lunch break to read. I can usually finish a book a week.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Good morning, all!
    @polskagirl01 I laughed right out loud - sure, eat the burrito. Have the beer. Do zero hard work.... good call....
    But then I think... if it's working for him........but then again - IS IT working? Surely he'd be on his way to an injury or something?
    I mean, I wouldn't eat the burrito right before a marathon...

He might be lucky, or maybe he's riding on all of the previous miles he ran in the past. Maybe he's just built differently (advantages from more testosterone, different muscular structure, athletic build) plus I'm pretty sure his body hasn't gone through multiple pregnancies. He's probably capable of doing SO much more at the marathon level, so if we make the right comparison - between his actual performance and his potential, there's probably a huge gap. And he's probably ok with that.

Come to think of it, I've got a family member who jokes around, makes fun of me for training, hops on the treadmill a few times, then runs one 5k a year as a fundraiser, and the first year of this, his time was about the same as mine :/ He wasn't even serious enough about it to care about his actual time, so was going around quoting his 5k time rounded down by, I think, about 2 minutes because he didn't realize that those 2 minutes make a big difference. But I think he had a fun time and was proud of himself for finishing. So I tried to rope him into doing other races. Nah, that was just too much work. So we've got different goals :)

So 2019 is way over but I finally got over to "strartwork" to visualize my year. It connects through Strava and is pretty fun to play around with. So now everyone should go play, and show us your visualizations!
    2019 Runs
    jyqtxc96mcrn.png
    The map view also looks really cool zeroed in on my city, but also makes it too easy to figure out exactly where I live, so I'll keep that one to myself ;)
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    02/02 8km
    04/02 5km
    06/02 4km
    07/02 5km
    08/02 7km
    11/02 5km
    15/02 5km
    18/02 5km

Total 44km of 70km for February

I woke up late today, but when I saw the beautiful morning, I just had to get out there and do a turn around the local meadow, and I'm so glad I did.

@LoveyChar - congratulations on your becoming a marathon runner! Very well done!

@JaneJellyRoll - I too am a podcast person. I listen to all sorts of things, but I'm wondering if there are any good fitness podcasts out there.

Goals for the year:
    1. Get back down to a decent running weight (currently set at 160lb)
    2. Run a sub-60 minute 10K
    3. Run at least 4 10K races

Current races planned:
    14/06 Lincoln 10K
    ??/10 Autumn Richmond Riverside Run
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
    Options
    These are the tips we need @LoveyChar so keep 'em coming. I have always run before breakfast however I need to start working on an early breakfast and taking my long runs at 9:30 which is when all the races seem to be. I do have the same fear of being caught short mid race.

You are awesome @LoveyChar and thank you for booking in for 2021 which gives me hope I won't want to never run a step again after!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile can you duct-tape your shoes on or something? I bet one of our ultra trail runners on here would know...

@LoveyChar I'm being funny here, but I'm not sure I'd take any of the brother-in-law's advice. No breakfast before a marathon? Just eat whatever worked for breakfast before your long training runs. There should be porta-potties along the route, and tummy trouble can have all kinds of causes (like dumping sugar and unknown sports drinks into an empty stomach while running). Oh but I guess if you only eat burritos and didn't actually DO those training runs, then yes, skip breakfast and go run a marathon ;)

They had so many drink stations and people handing out snacks but the porti-potty situation was scarce, at least I think so. Lines were ridiculously long.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    Signed up for next year's Austin Marathon, only $99 to do it now and price increases in 3 days. I texted my husband yesterday that I had done it and he texted back that he was going to run it and beat me. I thought he was joking. He wasn't. So I registered him for it too. I'm proud of him just for registering. He's going to start running 10 miles next week. He is my size × 2 + 30 pounds. He has alot of work to do but a year to do it in. It's nice to see this because he has an actual goal to work toward. He watched his wife and brother run it, come out in one piece and actually enjoy it. I think he wants a piece of that, to try it for himself. I'm excited for him. He's already talking about what he's going to do so I can see his excitement already.

@bearly63 I love inspiring stories. I told my hubby about yours not running his first Marathon until he was 40. Mine will be 40 this year.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    @rheddmobile can you duct-tape your shoes on or something? I bet one of our ultra trail runners on here would know...

@LoveyChar I'm being funny here, but I'm not sure I'd take any of the brother-in-law's advice. No breakfast before a marathon? Just eat whatever worked for breakfast before your long training runs. There should be porta-potties along the route, and tummy trouble can have all kinds of causes (like dumping sugar and unknown sports drinks into an empty stomach while running). Oh but I guess if you only eat burritos and didn't actually DO those training runs, then yes, skip breakfast and go run a marathon ;)

They had so many drink stations and people handing out snacks but the porti-potty situation was scarce, at least I think so. Lines were ridiculously long.

I ran a marathon last year where they technically had enough porti-potties (not many lines), but there were too many people using them and most of them were full and no longer functional by the second half of the race. :s

It was the first time I ever encountered that.