60 yrs and up

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    edited February 2020

I try to go out regardless of the weather. I have no problem getting out to go fishing in the rain - as a guide once told me, "It ain't raining underwater." No reason I can't go for a walk or a hike, and the dog doesn't care, either. And occasionally you catch the end of the storm and the world is a very peaceful place for an hour or two.

:) I agree that it's important to go out regardless of the weather. I was taught that there is no bad weather, just bad clothing. I have hats, shirts, pants, coats, footwear, and scarves in many layers to allow me to walk in all weather. The only time I can remember returning indoors because of the weather was the morning that the wind was howling and I could hear branches cracking nearby. I live in a neighborhood with 100 foot trees everywhere. When the wind stopped I went outside for my regular walk and saw a lot of branches on the ground that had broken off trees and come crashing down in the wind. My dogs have coats and pretty much don't care about the weather.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • bethe
    bethe Posts: 79 Member
    Getthebabeback - thanks for the link. I'm a big fan of Dr. Hyman, and keep up with his books, etc. Food impacts us in so many more ways than just caloric value.
  • chocolatefox2
    chocolatefox2 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for your kind words barbiecat.
  • njag6393
    njag6393 Posts: 27 Member
    A 27 degree walk sure can wake a person up.
    Off to Knoxville now for a basketball game.
  • RCPV
    RCPV Posts: 342 Member
    Evamutt wrote: »
    Hello everyone, really enjoying this group, I went back several pages to read. My quick back story is I lost 50lbs, kept it off for over a year & started gaining last March when I quit smoking. One of the problems I have is I don't feel as energetic since, also before mfp, I got used to feeling full after a meal & that desire has come back too. Also there was 1.5yrs of almost constant stress due to a family member, which has ended so I'm giving it my best shot starting today. I'm up 13 lbs. I used to think, 13 lbs isn't that big a deal, but it's a whole pant size. I do get around 10,000 steps/day & have started back to the gym but not as often as before, my energy level isn't what it used to be & probably some depression zaps it out of me too. So I've been thinking about starting a new account, which I think would help me mentally but I'd lose all my regular foods & would have to start over with that & find some of the groups I follow too.

Hi @Evamutt. Did you know you can change your username once in the same account? Go to My Home, Settings, Change Username. You can then go into your profile and put in a new picture. As long as you've always used the name you're using now, you don't need a whole new account. This will retain all your other settings, including food, friends, etc. That way, you get a fresh start with a new name and pic and nobody but you (and your friends if you don't delete them) will know it's you. :)
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Evamutt wrote: »
    Hello everyone, really enjoying this group, I went back several pages to read. My quick back story is I lost 50lbs, kept it off for over a year & started gaining last March when I quit smoking. One of the problems I have is I don't feel as energetic since, also before mfp, I got used to feeling full after a meal & that desire has come back too. Also there was 1.5yrs of almost constant stress due to a family member, which has ended so I'm giving it my best shot starting today. I'm up 13 lbs. I used to think, 13 lbs isn't that big a deal, but it's a whole pant size. I do get around 10,000 steps/day & have started back to the gym but not as often as before, my energy level isn't what it used to be & probably some depression zaps it out of me too. So I've been thinking about starting a new account, which I think would help me mentally but I'd lose all my regular foods & would have to start over with that & find some of the groups I follow too.

AS RCPV says you can change your name, remember I'm here for you if you need support your not on your own! X
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited February 2020
    between 60 and 70 and struggle daily. Bad arthritis rebuilt right foot (from head on 2001 not my fault), plus bad lumbar area causing painful left hip. Hobble around on cane since 2012 after having wonderful, active life. Been to parade of doctors, shots, images, PT the whole gamut. Just got another lumbar MRI yesterday in the torture chamber of hell.. will see doctor and possible surgery in a few months. Then hopefully heal and then maybe try a surgery fusion on the bad foot. So all of you that are mobile and can walk fine and exercise --- I applaud you and only dream I can join that club someday too. Been logging my food religiously everyday since May 2016.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    I really appreciate all your support. I truly don't want to live the rest of my life with the extra weight I had. Being on here helps a lot. I didn't lose weight for anyone but me but It helps a lot to be in a community like this. I really don't have anyone around me physically to support & encourage me or be accountable to .It's funny, my husband started losing weight around the time I did, in 2016 & has kept it off. He doesn't even count calories
  • lynnchristy
    lynnchristy Posts: 75 Member
    Good evening 60 & uppers :) I am way late with my post today. I started feeling all achy last evening and am still not all that well. This too shall pass :D

I am so happy to see so many new folks stopping in... Welcome to all of you. I hope you will keep coming back because there are a lot of great folks here, good support, great advice and marvelous encouragement. We are all in this together and we can do it one day and one small step at a time. Lasting change is something that takes time and having a good support system is very important.

Have a good night's rest and sweet dreams everyone :)

Shout out to all my wonderful supportive friends <3
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Barbie you wrote " I use my computer and the internet for many business related tasks that can't be completed on my phone. Today I am a happy techno-lover."

Next time internet goes out, just allow your phone to be a hotspot (as long as you have an unlimited data plan, otherwise it could be very expensive). I have an Iphone 6, so I can activate the hotspot through "settings" then "cellular" then scroll down to Set Up Personal Hotspot.

This way at least your can take care of some business that perhaps needs to be addressed sooner than later.

• RCPV
    RCPV Posts: 342 Member
    @lynnchristy, I'm sorry to hear you've not been feeling well. Thinking of you and hoping tomorrow is a better day. :)
  • barbiecat
    Barbie you wrote " I use my computer and the internet for many business related tasks that can't be completed on my phone. Today I am a happy techno-lover."

Next time internet goes out, just allow your phone to be a hotspot (as long as you have an unlimited data plan, otherwise it could be very expensive). I have an Iphone 6, so I can activate the hotspot through "settings" then "cellular" then scroll down to Set Up Personal Hotspot.

This way at least your can take care of some business that perhaps needs to be addressed sooner than later.

:) Thank you. This is very helpful information. I appreciate it.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • barbiecat
    :)ekim2016, I absolutely appreciate my ability to exercise. I write in a gratitude journal every morning and almost always include "mobility" on my list. I had surgery for lumbar spinal stenosis in 2016 and spent a month lying down almost all day for a month in 2018 because of a spinal compression fracture so I never lose sight of how fortunate I am to be able to be active now.

:)Evamutt, there is no one in my face to face life that is at all interested in my weight loss journey so I value have this thread with like minded people who are interested in what I eat or how much I exercise. My husband is darling but his nutritional needs are very different from mine so we eat very different foods.

:)lynnechristy, I hope you'll take good care of yourself so you feel better soon. I appreciate your participation in this thread and the encouraging things you say.

:) We have only one car which works fine for us. Today my husband had a chiropractor appointment so he drove me to line dance class and came back to pick me up at the end of class. He got there early so he came in and sat in the back and watched us dance for about 30 minutes. It was great having him there.

:) I'd love to know where everyone is from (a general location) so when you talk about the weather and it's effect on your exercise, I'd know more---cold in Florida means something very different from cold in Alberta.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    We live in central California, I dread the summer at 100+