Coronavirus prep

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I don't trust the aseptic milk.

P&G...what products do I buy of theirs?

Why are we panicking about Covid19? Isn't it just a little bit more virulent than a cold? Why are we panicking?*

*I looked at the WHO site about it, and I just am not feeling the fear about this...I'm more worried about people not vaccinating their kids against the flu to be honest. We've had zoonotic diseases forever...I don't think it's even possible to contain something like this now that people travel. I had a friend return from overseas and they wee encouraged to use hand sanitizer as they left the plane.

Yep, agreed. It is tough to get a very good R0 value this early, but definitely agree that the media hype is a big influencer on behavior. I just wish the media would put more emphasis on things like handwashing every single day with or without Covid-19. These are things we should do always regardless.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I'll just be over here in the corner, wiping my butt with leaves. :D
    Just make sure they're not the itchy kind.

So, not from the pine trees in my yard?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    leggup wrote: »
    I'm not stocking up on anything here in the US in a state with no reported cases. That said, I always have ample dried goods and shelf stable foods. We always have costco-quantities of soy milk (no refrigeration needed), quinoa-rice packets, meal pouches (tastybite), ramen, cereal, granola bars, dried fruits (craisens), oatmeal, nuts, baking ingredients (bread, cookies, pie), and soylent. I always keep the pantry full so I'm not tempted to eat out and because I love to bake.

It's not about whether there are reported cases locally (unless all the products you depend on are grown, processed, and packaged locally). It's about whether the supply chain for the products you depend on breaks because the factories involved are closed as a public health measure or because so many of the people who work there are sick or caring for those who are sick that they can't function.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    But...

Okay. I don't have TV and I don't look at the news.

Ya'll - WHY are people stripping grocery shelves? Are we being locked into our houses? Do they think it is going to blow over in a week? Are all the food supply chains being shut down by the government? I don't understand...you guys are kind of freaking me out but I don't really know why.

giphy.gif

I started to think about responding but got distracted because the dog in that gif is just too cute.

I think some of it is panic by irrational people. I suppose some of it may be people who because they are retired or telecommute or are independently wealthy can plan to just stay home for weeks or even months (which also seems like an overreaction to me).

But from what I've seen in the news there have been factories shut down in China. I have no idea what they produce. And investors seem to expect some impact in most sectors (both due to decreased demand if consumers are staying home much more and due to decreased supplies from factories closing down temporarily).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Just like Y2K, I took stock of my current situation and figured I would be fine for about 2 weeks if all went to hell. I have meat in the freezer, pasta and rice in the cupboard, some canned tomatoes and sauce in the basement, and enough flour and yeast to bake a half dozen loaves of bread. I am not going to do anything else.

I suspect the "order online, pick up at the curb" services grocery stores are doing will get even more use so people can stay in the protective bubble of their car.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    leggup wrote: »
    I'm not stocking up on anything here in the US in a state with no reported cases. That said, I always have ample dried goods and shelf stable foods. We always have costco-quantities of soy milk (no refrigeration needed), quinoa-rice packets, meal pouches (tastybite), ramen, cereal, granola bars, dried fruits (craisens), oatmeal, nuts, baking ingredients (bread, cookies, pie), and soylent. I always keep the pantry full so I'm not tempted to eat out and because I love to bake.

It's not about whether there are reported cases locally (unless all the products you depend on are grown, processed, and packaged locally). It's about whether the supply chain for the products you depend on breaks because the factories involved are closed as a public health measure or because so many of the people who work there are sick or caring for those who are sick that they can't function.

It's also about ensuring you have everything you need, before you need it. Enough to get through if you get sick yourself, and enough to get through if you come in contact with someone who has it and have to self isolate.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited March 2020
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Toilet paper: Keep in mind that people in the good ol' days used pages from the Sears Roebuck catalog out in the outhouse. Obviously, there's no Sears catalog any more, but if you have the usual supply of National Geographic or whatever in your basement, you're in good shape. Even pages from the zombie apocalypse books will work, in a pinch.

Don't flush it, though: Sewage system clogs are a whole other problem.

;)

You can use a squirt-type water bottle to mimic a bidet to take care of cleansing after #1, and save your TP for #2. I sometimes do this when backpacking. It’s refreshing. You can also use all sorts of baby and personal wipes instead of TP (just don’t flush them). But honestly, do we really think the nation is going to run out of TP?

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited March 2020
    I currently have 4 children knocked out with flu like symptoms... it’s been days of high fevers, crazy coughing, etc. I “joke” that it could be coronavirus, but we’ll never know since they can’t test for it yet! (Although I am seeing headlines that tests are making their way around). We are on the outskirts of DC, a “bedroom community” for people that work in the city, so lots of potential to bring it in. Haven’t been to the doctor, we homeschool so no need to expose them to anything else if the symptoms are treatable at home (we have been often enough to have the needed meds for her croup) so not 100% sure what it is.

Wednesday is when it started, I thought my daughter was reacting to some bags of soil I bought - her cough started within minutes of being in the car with them. Super sensitive lungs, at age 8 she gets croup that shuts down her airways with any airborne irritant (no longer able to even swim in indoor chlorine pools). I went to buy a mask for her since we still had 45 minutes in the car to get home and found the supply wiped out... at multiple stores. Didn’t know what was going on, until the guy at the hardware store told me why the shelves were cleared.

We would be ones that would need to stock up on water, our well water is awful to try and drink... something I took for granted when we lived in NC with well water so good we could bottle and sell it.

They CAN test for it, the test gets sent to CDC in Atlanta. Those symptoms sound the same as COVID 19 symptoms are...I do hope they are okay. The cough and fever are the main thing, and having trouble breathing.

In the Seattle area (according to the press conference today) the government labs are up to 200 tests per day, University of WA just today came online to do 200 more, they hope to gear up to a total of 2000 tests daily between the two labs within a couple days. Turnaround time on the test appears to be about one day.

If you want you can go to KOMO News and watch the King County news conference.

We're up to six deaths now. :(

I saw someone post in another forum that the test is not cheap- like in the area of $2-3000. Anyone know about this? If true, I don't think I'd seek testing for myself or a family member unless they were high-risk. :/

Edited to add: Just happened to see this as well- https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/02/811314938/coronavirus-testing-what-to-know-as-it-becomes-available-across-the-u-s
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2020
    We got our first reported case in the country yesterday. We're not really stocking up on food items or planning to. The main worry for my mom, in particular, is financial. My mom is a dentist and sterile surgical mask prices have gone through the roof. We're talking like or so for a pack of 50 of the cheapest kind that used to be priced at no more than , let alone the more expensive ones she used to buy. If this shortage persists it's going to be a problem. We're hoping this doesn't end up extending to sterile gloves because she goes through those fast.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    We got our first reported case in the country yesterday. We're not really stocking up on food items or planning to. The main worry for my mom, in particular, is financial. My mom is a dentist and sterile surgical mask prices have gone through the roof. We're talking like or so for a pack of 50 of the cheapest kind that used to be priced at no more than , let alone the more expensive ones she used to buy. If this shortage persists it's going to be a problem. We're hoping this doesn't end up extending to sterile gloves because she goes through those fast.

Wow, why was the price removed? Are they moderating surgical mask prices? Well, basically, the price went up 1500-1600% or so.
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member

Wow, why was the price removed? Are they moderating surgical mask prices? Well, basically, the price went up 1500-1600% or so.

I wish that I saw it, normally there'd be an "edited by moderator" posting. My guess' it was because of the people that attempt to sell their stuff/service here.