Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    I have a 2 week trip planned for Morocco that starts on March 16. If the WHO does not declare this a pandemic, which most likely will affect all travel, I am set on going. Be smart, take precautions and live. If it gets you it gets you. Its not like you can see this coming.

What if they do, after you're already there?

There’s a lot worse places to be stranded.
    @just_Tomek Enjoy!

I agree but my concern's with potentially, being unable to return to work upon time. If/when, there's a travel suspension and/or quarantine. I assume that even though it'd be unfair that they still're at risk of being fired.

Canadian labour laws generally tend to be better than the US.

The only thing that I know of here's that an employer's unable to fire an employee, for jury duty but 1 did try & got arrested, after the judge noticed that the potential juror was upset.

The State of Colorado and its affiliated entities released a policy a couple of weeks ago stating that anyone who is quarantined or unable to come to work due to a quarantine (like travel restrictions) will receive administrative leave for the time they are quarantined. Sick time would have to be used if actually infected, but other than an avalanche of accumulated work and emails, quarantined employees won’t be penalized.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    I currently have 4 children knocked out with flu like symptoms... it’s been days of high fevers, crazy coughing, etc. I “joke” that it could be coronavirus, but we’ll never know since they can’t test for it yet! (Although I am seeing headlines that tests are making their way around). We are on the outskirts of DC, a “bedroom community” for people that work in the city, so lots of potential to bring it in. Haven’t been to the doctor, we homeschool so no need to expose them to anything else if the symptoms are treatable at home (we have been often enough to have the needed meds for her croup) so not 100% sure what it is.

Wednesday is when it started, I thought my daughter was reacting to some bags of soil I bought - her cough started within minutes of being in the car with them. Super sensitive lungs, at age 8 she gets croup that shuts down her airways with any airborne irritant (no longer able to even swim in indoor chlorine pools). I went to buy a mask for her since we still had 45 minutes in the car to get home and found the supply wiped out... at multiple stores. Didn’t know what was going on, until the guy at the hardware store told me why the shelves were cleared.

We would be ones that would need to stock up on water, our well water is awful to try and drink... something I took for granted when we lived in NC with well water so good we could bottle and sell it.

They CAN test for it, the test gets sent to CDC in Atlanta. Those symptoms sound the same as COVID 19 symptoms are...I do hope they are okay. The cough and fever are the main thing, and having trouble breathing.

In the Seattle area (according to the press conference today) the government labs are up to 200 tests per day, University of WA just today came online to do 200 more, they hope to gear up to a total of 2000 tests daily between the two labs within a couple days. Turnaround time on the test appears to be about one day.

If you want you can go to KOMO News and watch the King County news conference.

We're up to six deaths now. :(

I saw someone post in another forum that the test is not cheap- like in the area of $2-3000. Anyone know about this? If true, I don't think I'd seek testing for myself or a family member unless they were high-risk. :/

Edited to add: Just happened to see this as well- https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/02/811314938/coronavirus-testing-what-to-know-as-it-becomes-available-across-the-u-s

Since there's no cure, just treatment of whatever symptoms you have, which are evident without a test, I don't see any point for individuals to seek tests. If it's a test being done for public health purposes, that's a "common good" issue and should be paid for out of the public health budget.

There was a case of a man who felt he owed it to his community to get tested, so he went to his local hospital and explained why he was there. The CDC processes the test for free. But the hospital put him in a quarantine room, had personel wear those full white suits, disinfected the room, did a flu test, a CT scan, etc plus charges I'm sure for every doctor that peeked into the room after getting suited up. They submitted a claim to his insurance for $3,200. So the test is free, but the place you go to get tested will find a way to make it expensive.

So I'd say if someone feels like the responsible thing to do is get tested so the virus can be tracked, I'd contact your local health dept first and see if they can hook you up with a cheap way to get the test.

I also read, perhaps in one of the articles I linked upthread, that they will actually run tests to eliminate other viral illnesses first, so that could add up.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    What bugs me is that as a person who sometimes takes immune suppressing drugs for my lupus, I’m already hyperaware of other people’s hygiene, and so I know that if we are relying on hygiene to prevent the spread we are all doomed. Most women in the restroom just sort of dip their fingers under the water for a second. People here NEVER cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze, most would apparently rather slit their throats than cough into their elbows. They don’t hesitate to go out to public places like restaurants when they sound like they are on their deathbeds with chest congestion, visibly running noses, and constant coughing. Servers at restaurants and food handlers go into work sick. In the past month I was trying not to get sick because of my race series, so I avoided going places except for essentials, and literally every time I went somewhere, such as to the grocery, a minimum of three sick people would expectorate directly on me. One women walked up to me and sneezed into my eye with a vacant expression on her face. Actual droplets of her spit went into my eye. And she didn’t even say excuse me. People in this town are rabid wolverines and if we are relying on their hand washing skills to keep everyone safe it really is going to be the apocalypse.

I’m trying to take a joking tone but not exaggerating any events. About a week ago when I was eating at a restauarant a horribly sick family sat at the table touching ours and I got up immediately, moved away from them, and asked for another table. Felt good about escaping them until I noticed the table next to the one I had been moved to had two sick children at it. Then our waitress was sneezing on the drinks station and complaining that she had chills. What happened to staying home?

When I was a waitress, the choice to stay home could have resulted in me losing my job or potentially not being able to pay my rent. I'm not defending the choice to deliberately go to work sick, it's just when you're in some situations it doesn't really seem like a fully voluntary choice. I have a sister who was fired because she was unwilling to go to work with a fever. Fortunately it was never a situation that I was in.

I feel very grateful now to have an employer who allows sick days and actually expects me to stay out of the office when I'm potentially contagious. That hasn't been the case my whole life.

I'm not writing this to minimize the risk to you because it's truly unacceptable. It's just that this current system is aggressively pitting people against each other and this is an example of that.

(Obviously none of this applies to going out to eat while contagious, that's not necessary at all).

Yes, in general US restaurants have an abominable lack of sick leave for sick employees.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/10/19/449213511/survey-half-of-food-workers-go-to-work-sick-because-they-have-to

...Jayaraman, author of the 2014 book Behind the Kitchen Door, says workers have told her that they've reported to duty with everything from H1N1 to pinkeye and typhoid fever.

"One of the most egregious examples that I describe in the book is a worker at a Fayetteville, N.C., Olive Garden [who] was forced to work with hepatitis A because [Olive Garden] doesn't have an earned sick leave policy," Jayaraman says. As a result, Jayaraman says, 3,000 people had to be tested for hepatitis A at the Cumberland County, N.C., health department.
  • jthillk
    jthillk Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My family traveled to Oklahoma this weekend to visit other family (military) that was in the states from South Korea temporarily. Once we got to Oklahoma we discovered that virtually the entire city was without water for most of our trip. I feel like the Coronavirus is out to get me.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    My word. Egregious indeed. Businesses reap the upside and taxpayers left paying the downside.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    What bugs me is that as a person who sometimes takes immune suppressing drugs for my lupus, I’m already hyperaware of other people’s hygiene, and so I know that if we are relying on hygiene to prevent the spread we are all doomed. Most women in the restroom just sort of dip their fingers under the water for a second. People here NEVER cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze, most would apparently rather slit their throats than cough into their elbows. They don’t hesitate to go out to public places like restaurants when they sound like they are on their deathbeds with chest congestion, visibly running noses, and constant coughing. Servers at restaurants and food handlers go into work sick. In the past month I was trying not to get sick because of my race series, so I avoided going places except for essentials, and literally every time I went somewhere, such as to the grocery, a minimum of three sick people would expectorate directly on me. One women walked up to me and sneezed into my eye with a vacant expression on her face. Actual droplets of her spit went into my eye. And she didn’t even say excuse me. People in this town are rabid wolverines and if we are relying on their hand washing skills to keep everyone safe it really is going to be the apocalypse.

I’m trying to take a joking tone but not exaggerating any events. About a week ago when I was eating at a restauarant a horribly sick family sat at the table touching ours and I got up immediately, moved away from them, and asked for another table. Felt good about escaping them until I noticed the table next to the one I had been moved to had two sick children at it. Then our waitress was sneezing on the drinks station and complaining that she had chills. What happened to staying home?

When I was a waitress, the choice to stay home could have resulted in me losing my job or potentially not being able to pay my rent. I'm not defending the choice to deliberately go to work sick, it's just when you're in some situations it doesn't really seem like a fully voluntary choice. I have a sister who was fired because she was unwilling to go to work with a fever. Fortunately it was never a situation that I was in.

I feel very grateful now to have an employer who allows sick days and actually expects me to stay out of the office when I'm potentially contagious. That hasn't been the case my whole life.

I'm not writing this to minimize the risk to you because it's truly unacceptable. It's just that this current system is aggressively pitting people against each other and this is an example of that.

(Obviously none of this applies to going out to eat while contagious, that's not necessary at all).

I have the greatest sympathy for people whose employers won’t let them stay home, even though in the case of food handlers, it’s illegal.

In this case it was a family run business, and she was the owner, and there were sufficient waitresses there that some were waiting around for more tables. So she could have at least chosen to sit in the back and supervise. It just didn’t occur to her I guess. But mainly I was thinking about the customers. People who drag their sick children out while they sit and have margaritas make me angry.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    jthillk wrote: »
    My family traveled to Oklahoma this weekend to visit other family (military) that was in the states from South Korea temporarily. Once we got to Oklahoma we discovered that virtually the entire city was without water for most of our trip. I feel like the Coronavirus is out to get me.

@jthillk why no water?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,081 Member
    Options
    I currently have 4 children knocked out with flu like symptoms... it’s been days of high fevers, crazy coughing, etc. I “joke” that it could be coronavirus, but we’ll never know since they can’t test for it yet! (Although I am seeing headlines that tests are making their way around). We are on the outskirts of DC, a “bedroom community” for people that work in the city, so lots of potential to bring it in. Haven’t been to the doctor, we homeschool so no need to expose them to anything else if the symptoms are treatable at home (we have been often enough to have the needed meds for her croup) so not 100% sure what it is.

Wednesday is when it started, I thought my daughter was reacting to some bags of soil I bought - her cough started within minutes of being in the car with them. Super sensitive lungs, at age 8 she gets croup that shuts down her airways with any airborne irritant (no longer able to even swim in indoor chlorine pools). I went to buy a mask for her since we still had 45 minutes in the car to get home and found the supply wiped out... at multiple stores. Didn’t know what was going on, until the guy at the hardware store told me why the shelves were cleared.

We would be ones that would need to stock up on water, our well water is awful to try and drink... something I took for granted when we lived in NC with well water so good we could bottle and sell it.

They CAN test for it, the test gets sent to CDC in Atlanta. Those symptoms sound the same as COVID 19 symptoms are...I do hope they are okay. The cough and fever are the main thing, and having trouble breathing.

In the Seattle area (according to the press conference today) the government labs are up to 200 tests per day, University of WA just today came online to do 200 more, they hope to gear up to a total of 2000 tests daily between the two labs within a couple days. Turnaround time on the test appears to be about one day.

I saw someone post in another forum that the test is not cheap- like in the area of $2-3000. Anyone know about this? If true, I don't think I'd seek testing for myself or a family member unless they were high-risk. :/

Edited to add: Just happened to see this as well- https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/02/811314938/coronavirus-testing-what-to-know-as-it-becomes-available-across-the-u-s

Since there's no cure, just treatment of whatever symptoms you have, which are evident without a test, I don't see any point for individuals to seek tests. If it's a test being done for public health purposes, that's a "common good" issue and should be paid for out of the public health budget.

There was a case of a man who felt he owed it to his community to get tested, so he went to his local hospital and explained why he was there. The CDC processes the test for free. But the hospital put him in a quarantine room, had personel wear those full white suits, disinfected the room, did a flu test, a CT scan, etc plus charges I'm sure for every doctor that peeked into the room after getting suited up. They submitted a claim to his insurance for $3,200. So the test is free, but the place you go to get tested will find a way to make it expensive.

So I'd say if someone feels like the responsible thing to do is get tested so the virus can be tracked, I'd contact your local health dept first and see if they can hook you up with a cheap way to get the test.

Hereabouts, Health Departments are publishing recommendations for what people with symptoms should do to be diagnosed, receive treatment, get testing as appropriate, and avoid contagion to others during the process.

Maybe it would be nice if folks' prep included looking up online what their local health department recommends, in case symptoms develop? Maybe bookmark the page in case of changes?
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Toilet paper: Keep in mind that people in the good ol' days used pages from the Sears Roebuck catalog out in the outhouse. Obviously, there's no Sears catalog any more, but if you have the usual supply of National Geographic or whatever in your basement, you're in good shape. Even pages from the zombie apocalypse books will work, in a pinch.

Don't flush it, though: Sewage system clogs are a whole other problem.

;)

Well, there aren't sears catalogs anymore, but I can build up a ready supply from all the junk mail flyers, seed catalogs, and clothing catalogs I get in the mail every week!

I went to Krogers website today to check if something was in stock at my local store, and noticed a ribbon message at the top that says they are limiting sanitation and cold & flu related items to 5 per customer. So if you want to stockpile your toilet paper, you'll have to hit a couple of different Kroger stores and pay in cash.....

@bmeadows380 what state are you in?

@kshama2001 West Virginia

Since there hasn't been any confirmed cases in my state yet, I'm guessing the Kroger company is making it a company wide policy.

I'm a salaried employee and yet my company took away our sick leave several years ago, and instead replaced it with 1 extra week's vacation and company paid short term disability where we'd get so a certain percentage of our salary for a certain period depending on years of service. It was a huge step down from the original sick leave policy. We are expected to take vacation days if we need to take time off for being sick. If it lasts more than 5 business days, we then apply for short term disability, and the company determines if our cases qualifies. Each time you get ill, you have to take another 5 days vacation until you re-qualify. Oh, and they offered the opportunity to purchase an extra 40 hours during insurance elections period, but you must exhaust all your regular vacation days before you can use those 40 days. So you either go ahead and get those days, paying for them out of your bi-weekly paycheck on the off chance you might need them. if you don't use them, there is the possibility to be reimbursed for what you don't use, but you have to apply to be reimbursed within a certain window and if you don't, you just lose them.

*shakes head* Many of the younger employees thought this was great because all they could see was that extra week vacation, but many of us older folks could see how terrible this new policy is. For one, even if they give us 5 extra days vacation, no one wants to use vacation days for sick days, so while the company tries to encourage folks to stay home when they are filling ill, this new policy actually does the opposite, and more people are coming into work sick than before. Plus, they don't give us a list of preapproved conditions that qualify for the short term insurance, and they cut down the amount we'd get back. The company allows us to carry 80 hours of vacation time from year to year, which I routinely do as a sort of buffer in case something catastrophic happens and I need extra time away, but the purchased vacation plan requires that you have nothing left vacation wise before you can start using the purchased time, which I don't like, so the only way I'd even consider purchasing the time is if I knew I was going to have a procedure coming up in the next year and would need those extra days.
  • jthillk
    jthillk Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

@jthillk why no water?

The city we were in apparently has a recurring problem with broken pipes, water leaks, low pressure, etc.
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    I have a 2 week trip planned for Morocco that starts on March 16. If the WHO does not declare this a pandemic, which most likely will affect all travel, I am set on going. Be smart, take precautions and live. If it gets you it gets you. Its not like you can see this coming.

@just_Tomek Enjoy!

I agree but my concern's with potentially, being unable to return to work upon time. If/when, there's a travel suspension and/or quarantine. I assume that even though it'd be unfair that they still're at risk of being fired.

The only thing that I know of here's that an employer's unable to fire an employee, for jury duty but 1 did try & got arrested, after the judge noticed that the potential juror was upset.

The State of Colorado and its affiliated entities released a policy a couple of weeks ago stating that anyone who is quarantined or unable to come to work due to a quarantine (like travel restrictions) will receive administrative leave for the time they are quarantined. Sick time would have to be used if actually infected, but other than an avalanche of accumulated work and emails, quarantined employees won’t be penalized.

This news' pleasing, thank you for posting it!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I also read, perhaps in one of the articles I linked upthread, that they will actually run tests to eliminate other viral illnesses first, so that could add up.

Yep, and unfortunately since there are not enough coronavirus testing kits to test more liberally, it's I guess the prudent thing to do. But of course that leaves you or your insurance company on the hook for the other tests I'd assume. Geez, we make everything so darn difficult here smh.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I know we have a lot of posters in the UK, but can't remember who most of you are. @BarbaraHelen2013 what are the public policies over there?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I have the greatest sympathy for people whose employers won’t let them stay home, even though in the case of food handlers, it’s illegal.

In this case it was a family run business, and she was the owner, and there were sufficient waitresses there that some were waiting around for more tables. So she could have at least chosen to sit in the back and supervise. It just didn’t occur to her I guess. But mainly I was thinking about the customers. People who drag their sick children out while they sit and have margaritas make me angry.

Oh, yeah. Owners should absolutely stay home when they're ill. And there is no excuse for taking your children out just so you can eat at a restaurant.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows380 - WV here too, but way, way eastern panhandle... lots of DC commuters in our area so I have a feeling it’s just a matter of time. (Washington DC).

My husband works closely with P&G as a supplier (close enough to have had a meeting with the CFO quoted in an earlier post) and so far hasn’t heard anything on his end. Hopefully a good sign that it’s not company wide but maybe just certain products.

Chiming in on going to work sick - I worked for a daycare fresh out of college, the owner was an awful boss and had us teachers come in sick all the time. Hand Foot and Mouth, fever, vomiting, it didn’t matter... I hated that job. Very much against health code regulations and the rules posted for parents/children to abide by (she would also let disgruntled parents bring their children back after a fever, knowing good and well they were given fever reducers and it wasn’t past the 24 hour mark).
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »

@just_Tomek Enjoy!

This is good and I wish all employers did this. One shouldn't lose their job due to illness... that is just ridiculous and unfair to make someone end up both sick AND unemployed.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Is that maybe just a coincidence? I have been places that had temporary water problems and then boil orders when fixed due to a breach in pipes beyond the treatment facility or a problem with the water treatment facility itself. But no water at all was always temporary.