NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Replies

• huskymarie
    huskymarie Posts: 9 Member
    Hi All, I was drawn to this thread because I am a WWer and lost 48 pounds on it and then not doing much different (probably more exercise), I have been gaining for 6 months. My doctor wants to know how many calories I eating and I have no idea. I stopped counting cals when I joined WW. So he wants me to track cals and I don't know about giving up WW. I love/loved Connect on WW but since I am doing the program and gaining, I'm not comfy there anymore. So here I am and I I'm starting to like MFP and cals again. Amazing how counting cals opens up some of the foods I love but are higher in points than those of equals calories. Any words or wisdom or other WWers/former WWers that have had my experience would be so welcome. Dr can't find a reason I'm gaining other than maybe eating too few calories and I've killed my metabolism. Any thoughts?
  • gemwolf110
    gemwolf110 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Hi All, I was drawn to this thread because I am a WWer and lost 48 pounds on it and then not doing much different (probably more exercise), I have been gaining for 6 months. My doctor wants to know how many calories I eating and I have no idea. I stopped counting cals when I joined WW. So he wants me to track cals and I don't know about giving up WW. I love/loved Connect on WW but since I am doing the program and gaining, I'm not comfy there anymore. So here I am and I I'm starting to like MFP and cals again. Amazing how counting cals opens up some of the foods I love but are higher in points than those of equals calories. Any words or wisdom or other WWers/former WWers that have had my experience would be so welcome. Dr can't find a reason I'm gaining other than maybe eating too few calories and I've killed my metabolism. Any thoughts?

I am still a WW but I find I did better when I counted calories on MFP. But that could be all mental because I feel kinda restricted on WW bc of the running out of points which got me kinda blah and I’m an emotional eater so that’s probably not the best as far as counting but I do enjoy going to the workshops. You could be I’ve tracked in both. When I did stay at or just above points I was under 1000 calories. It’s all in their formula.
  • theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,196 Member
    @cbabie So next time you can't figure out what you want, grab an apple or whatever fruit you have in the house. You grabbed the popcorn cause it was easy to fix. So make the fruit easy to fix. Either keep some cantaloupe cut up or use one of those apple slicer/corer things so you get 8 wedges. That's easy.

@bevsargent66 Welcome to the group! Recently I lost about 24 lbs from August til end of January. Then had to take some prednisone and put on 7 lbs. Now I'm working on going back down again. I'm doing carb cycling (med-high carbs) and tracking all my foods everyday. While I consider myself OP if I stay within my carb range, I also really try and stay within my calorie range which is about 1450-1660 right now. Plus I was consistent. My exercise consists of walking about 30-45 min depending 5 times a week. Preplanning my meals in my tracker each morning is a must and then following that plan. Sometimes my hubby comes and changes my plan so I learned to change and pick foods that still fall within my numbers. It's all about the numbers for me. I am currently trying to eat more whole foods and still make my numbers work out.

@trooworld You can do this. Just keep tracking and staying within your points. Yes popcorn has alot of fiber but usually popcorn in a bag has trans fat which isn't healthy for us. Do I eat it at times? Yes. I was doing really well with my microwave silicone popcorn bowl where I just add popcorn. No oil needed. Then I would sprinkle seasoning and some salt on it. But then would think does the microwave and silicone give me cancer and I'm better off with the trans fat? Who knows. lol I was doing well for a while eating half a bag and putting the other half in a Ziplock or cookie tin for later. Lately it's been the whole bag and I track it.

@mswatson0777 Are you tracking and staying within your boundaries? Exciting the wedding plans are coming along. Yes B's get degrees. How competitive is your field

@gemwolf110 Is purple simply filling or freestyle? I'm learning that when I'm craving something and can't figure it out I really don't need food. I'm craving something else. What will fill that hole? Having a list of distractions is helpful. Usually then the craving passes and mealtime is just around the corner. Or I go have a hot cup of tea. So I'm stumped on MOH. I've got mother of husband, man of the hour, oh just figured it out. Maid of Honor. DUH! You can tell I eloped. lol I make a cheesy cauliflower rice bowl that I like now. I've made cauliflower tater tots. I've thought about making the cauliflower grilled cheese. Just haven't tried it yet. Now when recipes call for rice I just used riced cauliflower. Family doesn't seem to notice the difference if it's in a casserole type dish.
  • theslightedgeforever
    @mariechinander Welcome to the group! If we had all the answers we would all be thin. lol I stopped WW right around the time that they started Connect. I became pre-diabetic and my doc wanted me to do low carb. (which doesn't work for me long term consistently) I've been at this experiment of losing weight for a while now. Long while. But I'm just starting to figure out myself. I know which "diets" work and which don't for me. I do well on a med to high carb plan called carb cycling. I have tweaked it to fit my lifestyle so I never feel deprived. I'm the kind of person who likes to have her cake and eat it too. Literally. Then see how little exercise I can get away with and still lose weight. But I was successful from Aug to January. February has been a struggle. So here we are in March. I would say the first thing is start tracking your food. I think that's the most important thing. Pre-tracking is better each morning or night before. If you are busy at lunch or dinner then take a pic of your plate so you remember what you had. Track all foods. Good and bad. If I don't know exactly which brand of food or I'm at a gathering or restaurant, I look up something similar in MFP and I choose the calories that are in the middle. Not high or low. I do think a person can eat too few calories and mess up their metabolism. Moderation and balance is the key. Plus I'm no longer pre-diabetic and my numbers are still falling. Well they were. February has been rough and I'm due up for a physical some time this month or April. Too bad my A1c will show the past 3 months. How about all the good work I did in Aug-January.

Green Day- Stayed OP 232/238 Exercise-rest day

March goals- Drink 3 glasses of water o:) Decluttering :(
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Good morning! I read all your posts but going to skip personals today so I can get caught up with my life. ;) My trip to get mom from Florida went very well and she is getting settled into her new room and loves how much bigger it is then what she had at my sister's. There is still a lot of details to take care of but we are just going to do one thing at a time until it's all done.

Yesterday, was my birthday and hubby took us out to dinner and then we had cake and ice cream at home. It's a good thing that one of my gifts was the 15 lb. dumbbells that I've been wanting. With the last two weekends of eating out and not exercising the scale is wayyyyy up! I'm back on track starting today with my WW tracking and getting back into my workout room. I'm going to do another round of 21-Day Fix because the workouts are shorter but still really intense. OK, I'll be back to talking with you all tomorrow! :)
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,781 Member
    Good morning everyone! I'm feeling hopeful and positive today. It's a good day.

@mswatson0777 Hi! Bs do get degrees, keep telling yourself that dear! Hang in there!!! When are the dates?

@gemwolf110 Thanks! I like that we have options. :) Your pizza sounds yummy. My husband loves those Chobani Flips.

@mariechinander Hi and welcome! That's great you are working with your doctor on a plan. I'm at a point where I'm struggling hard so I just signed up for WW, so I'm afraid I don't have any wise words but I know everyone else will! Thanks for stopping by!

@theslightedgeforever Thanks! I hope I can. I've had some reasonable success on WW in the past. I see your point about the popcorn. But it's still better than eating a bag of chips, so there's that. ;) But I understand, you wouldn't eat a bag of chips, you are trying to eat as healthy as possible.

@TeresaW1020 Good morning and I'm glad your trip went well. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

COMMITTED.
    March goal: track 1 meal a day, go for a walk 1 time a week
  • mswatson0777
    mswatson0777 Posts: 290 Member
    @gemwolf110 Finding off the rack is the best! I'm hoping to find something similar. I'm fortunate that I'm shaped somewhat sample size so i'm hoping I can easily find the one. I hope your busy week goes smoothly!

@trooworld I'm getting married August 15th and we're doing the second party labor day weekend :) I hope you continue to have a wonderful, positive day!

@TeresaW1020 I'm so glad your Mom is settled and happy :) Happy Birthday! It sounds like a wonderful celebration, and what a great fitness oriented present! Please keep us posted on WW and 21 Day Fix!

@theslightedgeforever This weekend was a bit off the rails, but I've been back on track this week and I have a plan for the weekends coming up. I'm committed to hitting the 140s by August!

@mariechinander Welcome! I similarly used to be on WW but found I stick to calories better since it does give me a lot more flexibility and accountability. Glad to have you in the group!

Happy Tuesday all! I had an amazing training session last night, and I'm looking forward to another one after work today. Work is feeling a lot calmer and one of my classes is ending this week, so once this week is over I think my stress level is going to go way down. I'm just trying to take it one day at a time to make it through this week and not freak out. I did hop up on the scale today and I'm a little up, but I also felt bloated so I think it's partially that. I have a feeling it'll be back down next week so I'm not too worried, and I'm proud of myself for weighing for accountability but not freaking out about the number.

My significant other says I have serious body dysphoria and he's not wrong, so I'm trying to be kind to myself through this process. He actually started keto this week. I debated joining but I think it would trigger my eating disorder mindset, so I'm sticking to my current calorie counting plan and still enjoying all food.
  • gemwolf110
    @cbabie So next time you can't figure out what you want, grab an apple or whatever fruit you have in the house. You grabbed the popcorn cause it was easy to fix. So make the fruit easy to fix. Either keep some cantaloupe cut up or use one of those apple slicer/corer things so you get 8 wedges. That's easy.

@bevsargent66 Welcome to the group! Recently I lost about 24 lbs from August til end of January. Then had to take some prednisone and put on 7 lbs. Now I'm working on going back down again. I'm doing carb cycling (med-high carbs) and tracking all my foods everyday. While I consider myself OP if I stay within my carb range, I also really try and stay within my calorie range which is about 1450-1660 right now. Plus I was consistent. My exercise consists of walking about 30-45 min depending 5 times a week. Preplanning my meals in my tracker each morning is a must and then following that plan. Sometimes my hubby comes and changes my plan so I learned to change and pick foods that still fall within my numbers. It's all about the numbers for me. I am currently trying to eat more whole foods and still make my numbers work out.

@trooworld You can do this. Just keep tracking and staying within your points. Yes popcorn has alot of fiber but usually popcorn in a bag has trans fat which isn't healthy for us. Do I eat it at times? Yes. I was doing really well with my microwave silicone popcorn bowl where I just add popcorn. No oil needed. Then I would sprinkle seasoning and some salt on it. But then would think does the microwave and silicone give me cancer and I'm better off with the trans fat? Who knows. lol I was doing well for a while eating half a bag and putting the other half in a Ziplock or cookie tin for later. Lately it's been the whole bag and I track it.

@mswatson0777 Are you tracking and staying within your boundaries? Exciting the wedding plans are coming along. Yes B's get degrees. How competitive is your field

@gemwolf110 Is purple simply filling or freestyle? I'm learning that when I'm craving something and can't figure it out I really don't need food. I'm craving something else. What will fill that hole? Having a list of distractions is helpful. Usually then the craving passes and mealtime is just around the corner. Or I go have a hot cup of tea. So I'm stumped on MOH. I've got mother of husband, man of the hour, oh just figured it out. Maid of Honor. DUH! You can tell I eloped. lol I make a cheesy cauliflower rice bowl that I like now. I've made cauliflower tater tots. I've thought about making the cauliflower grilled cheese. Just haven't tried it yet. Now when recipes call for rice I just used riced cauliflower. Family doesn't seem to notice the difference if it's in a casserole type dish.

HI! It's freestyle, but the one that all fruit, veggies (including starchy ex. sweet potatoes), lean proteins, and whole grains are zero points and I get 17 points a day and 48 weeklies. I liked the riced cauliflower that my aunt served. I got a few different flavors of it.
  • huskymarie
    huskymarie Posts: 9 Member
    @theslightedgeforever I made it to day 12 of tracking on both. On WW I tracked every day for 2.75 years except maybe 3 or 4 days. That said, your words are wise because it is amazing how easy it is to overeat!
    @gemwolf110 I've been eating for the last nearly 2 weeks about 12-14 points above my dailies (unheard of before for me on WW) and this morning was a weight loss. Not a maintain or gain (gain was more frequent) so just maybe my dr was correct to tell me to track calories. His guess was I wasn't eating enough for my exercise. But, why would I gain? That I don't have an answer. But a lower number on the scale was my happy dance morning.
    @mswatson0777 Yes yes yes on the flexibility. Last night I told DH what I wanted for dinner "because I like it and I haven't had it in forever". I tracked every calorie and ended at 1500 cals. Right about where I needed to be.
    So I cancelled my WW subscription and it will end in a week. I did collect my wellness wins in 3 pairs or gym socks and donated the rest to their in need food bank. Because I looked further at MFP and found you all, I won't miss Connect, the part of WW I still liked. I was doing WW online only so I won't miss my group.
    For the popcorn discussion, I found some Winona's 0cal popcorn spray and Kernel Seasons flavor sprinkles. Is it yummy like theater popcorn? Nope but I do like my air popped corn much better than with Pam and Salt.
    @mswatson0777 I have to agree with not going Keto. I know some that swear by it but based on my experiment with Atkins 25 years ago, there is no way I can ever try something similar again. I was in ketosis and while my DH lost 15 pounds in 6 weeks, nary an ounce left me. And I'm not a protein fan so I started to hate all protein and fat while I dreamed about carb foods. Nearly the same issue with WW but fat is a no-no and there were some carbs so it was a reasonable plan for me. Counting calories has been a winner in the past so I need to get to that and not any fad.
  • gemwolf110
    @theslightedgeforever I made it to day 12 of tracking on both. On WW I tracked every day for 2.75 years except maybe 3 or 4 days. That said, your words are wise because it is amazing how easy it is to overeat!
    @gemwolf110 I've been eating for the last nearly 2 weeks about 12-14 points above my dailies (unheard of before for me on WW) and this morning was a weight loss. Not a maintain or gain (gain was more frequent) so just maybe my dr was correct to tell me to track calories. His guess was I wasn't eating enough for my exercise. But, why would I gain? That I don't have an answer. But a lower number on the scale was my happy dance morning.
    @mswatson0777 Yes yes yes on the flexibility. Last night I told DH what I wanted for dinner "because I like it and I haven't had it in forever". I tracked every calorie and ended at 1500 cals. Right about where I needed to be.
    So I cancelled my WW subscription and it will end in a week. I did collect my wellness wins in 3 pairs or gym socks and donated the rest to their in need food bank. Because I looked further at MFP and found you all, I won't miss Connect, the part of WW I still liked. I was doing WW online only so I won't miss my group.
    For the popcorn discussion, I found some Winona's 0cal popcorn spray and Kernel Seasons flavor sprinkles. Is it yummy like theater popcorn? Nope but I do like my air popped corn much better than with Pam and Salt.
    @mswatson0777 I have to agree with not going Keto. I know some that swear by it but based on my experiment with Atkins 25 years ago, there is no way I can ever try something similar again. I was in ketosis and while my DH lost 15 pounds in 6 weeks, nary an ounce left me. And I'm not a protein fan so I started to hate all protein and fat while I dreamed about carb foods. Nearly the same issue with WW but fat is a no-no and there were some carbs so it was a reasonable plan for me. Counting calories has been a winner in the past so I need to get to that and not any fad.

You were probably gaining because you weren’t eating enough to fuel your body so it went into starvation mode. If I didn’t attend WW meetings I’d probably cancel and just track here.
  • renaegry
    renaegry Posts: 1,253 Member
    edited March 2020
    @mariechinander Welcome. I’m currently on WW green plan but have cancelled my membership it ends in April. I like counting calories and macros I found the points very discouraging.

@TeresaW1020 happy belated birthday.

@bevsargent66 welcome.

To everyone else. Hope everyone is well.

So my husband went back to work in February. And has started to watch his eating. He owns and runs a gravel truck so spends 13 hours a day driving. He has started somewhat intermittent fasting with the exception of a premiere protein drink during the day. Then eats supper. He has lost close to 15lbs last month. Which motivates me. February was write off. March is a new go at it. So time to get serious. Ron (my husband) did some research and it says you need to eat healthy 80% of the time. So that gives 6 cheat days a month. I’m going to stick to that this month. And i have already used 1 on Sunday when we went out for supper to celebrate some birthdays for this month.

I went to fitness class last night and had a killer workout and hit the treadmill today. I am trying to do low carb 30% high protein 40% and 30% fat but i am over my carbs today. But hopefully I will get it figured out.
  • theslightedgeforever
    @teresaw1020 Glad you are all back safe and sound. As I'm typing out that sentence I was thinking what does it acutally mean to be "sound". lol If you are of sound mind that means you aren't crazy. Interesting how words and phrases we are taught when we are little are still used and before I never really thought about it. Unless I'm in a contemplative mood. Have a happy bday and I'm glad you got your weights.

@trooworld Oh I can eat a whole bag of Doritos. Now I wouldn't with Lays. Ruffles maybe if I had French Onion Dip. But I've stopped buying Doritos. For a while I would portion the bag into thirds and put each portion in a ziplock and then back into the original bag. So when I reached in, I could "finish the bag". But really I don't even need 1/3. It's nothing but processed food filled with salt and preservatives and won't do a thing for my health. Tastes really good though. So they have been added to my special list of I can eat them but probably won't unless it's a special time.

@mswatson0777 Hooray for you getting back on track right away. That's the key to not gaining weight. I'm carrying a bit of water too today. I was really bloated and rings were tight then I was happy because I could finally get them off and today back to being bloated. Such is the life of a perimenopausal woman I think. I'm learning to roll with it. I think you made the right decison regarding counting calories. At some point we know what works for us but we want to keep trying the things we think that will work faster. But then we can't/don't stick to it so it ends up not working for us in the long run. So now my motto is lose weight but consistently; even if it's slowly.

@gemwolf110 Thanks on the freestyle info. That was the one where everyone was happy they could return to eating eggs and corn for zero points. I don't know which one I would pick if I rejoined but probably green because I could see myself eating lots of the zero point foods. But also I'm a control freak. On the other hand, the zero point foods are probably more healthier for you. It's a toss up. Just the thought of 17 points daily messes with my mind. I know I could eat all of the other foods for free but...... good thing I'm doing carb cycling here on MFP. :wink: You got this.

@mariechinander I started tracking on both and didn't keep up. I got tired of double tracking. That's awesome you kept up with tracking for almost 3 years. It really has become a habit for me. As I was sitting down to dinner tonight my hubby kept trying to tell me a story and I was on MFP trying to see how much food I could eat. We have a phones down rule at dinner. He kept saying phones down phones down like a parrot. I was saying I'M TRYING TO SEE HOW MUCH OF THE MASHED POTATOES I CAN EAT. lol I usually preplan and so don't have this scenario but I didn't. So lesson learned for me. Preplanning is so much better. I was happy I could have 1/2 cup of potatoes but then that left me room for only 4 baby carrots. Your question of why would I gain....it made me think of a person who has diabetes. Sometimes when they try to control the amount of sugar and it's less than the body thinks they should have, the liver can dump some of the stored glucose into their bodies and then they wake up with a higher fasting glucose number. The body is trying to protect itself. It doesn't know the intention of the person who is trying to get of diabetes meds. So back to weight gain, the body thinks uh oh less calories, food must be scarce so it is hanging on to everything you eat in case food supplies continue to be low. It is protecting itself not realizing that the person is trying to lower calories to have better health. They know they can go to the grocery store and get more but the body doesn't. Now that's just my two cents. I'm neither a dr nor a scientist. But I have seen it in practice before. With myself and friends. I know my sweet spot is between 1450-1660. It was a bit higher but then when I kept losing I realized I need to drop my cals just a bit. So I did it by 50 on one day and then the next week I would choose a different day and do 50. I'll probably keep my 1660 (I get that two days a week on Thursday and Saturday for social reasons) Thanks on the popcorn spray info

@renaegry I totally agree with your hubby 80/20 Pareto principle March will be so much better than my February. Shoot it will be better than January too when I got sick. Do NOT want a repeat of that. If you work and work and still see yourself going over carbs maybe try boosting the carbs to 35 and lowering either your protein or fat by 5. Just seeing yourself be successful every day is motivating versus always watching yourself miss the mark on the carbs.

Red Day- 100/100 Exercise -did nothing. booooooo

March Goals- Drink 3 glasses of water o:) Decluttering o:)
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,781 Member
    edited March 2020
    Hello everyone! I am doing really well so far this week. Yesterday, I drank 106 oz of water (and man, I was running to the bathroom all day long ;) ), I tracked EVERYTHING, put my questionable snacks that I had stashed in my cupboard at work in the breakroom for others to enjoy, and weighed and measured the Costco chicken alfredo with penne pasta that we had for dinner: I had exactly 7 1/2 oz of it which ain't much! I supplemented it with a cup of steamed broccoli. Oh, I also resisted buying Girl Scout cookies at the store and also eating Girl Scout cookies at work!

@mswatson0777 I got married August 13th! Great time to get married. :) Thanks, yes, yesterday was a great day! I'm glad the end is in sight with one of your classes. I don't know if you were on here yet or not when I was Keto but I did Keto and for me, it just wasn't my thing. I got SO SICK of cauliflower! lol ;)

@renaegry That's great your husband has lost that much, congrats to him! Eating healthy 80% of the time sounds reasonable.

@theslightedgeforever I could as well and have. Many, many times. ;) Same with the French Onion Dip stuff. haha Yeah, I don't buy that stuff either unless I'm on a "bender" or buy a single-serving portion (1 oz bag). And I rarely buy those, only when we are going on a picnic or need to have sandwiches for some reason.

COMMITTED.
    March goal: track 1 meal a day, go for a walk 1 time a week
  • TeresaW1020
    @trooworld, wow!! So much good that you are doing right now! Good for you for tracking, drinking your water, getting questionable snacks out of your life, and for resisting the cookies!! B)

@theslightedgeforever, my sound mind is definitely questionable at times! :D

@renaegry, that is great about your husband weight loss! I hope you both have a great March motivating each other. And I agree that you need a few cheat meals to keep you from having a whole month of overeating. :)

Good morning! I am in a rush to get my day started so this is going to be quick. I have to go workout and then get ready to run mom around town on a bunch of errands and then be at the church by 4 pm for our big kids event/dinner on the grill night. I’m the official picture taker of the event which should keep me from nibbling on the food. The scale was down a little bit this morning and needs to keep on going down. Have a good day! :)
  • cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,546 Member
    Morning gals, I don't have time for all the personals today, but wanted to get on here and post. I was telling you about the possible job change. Well I went in yesterday at 7 normal time expecting to here from the new department some time this week..Well I was so busy when I got in with calls, I couldn't check my email. I finally did about 2 hours into the shift...well guess what training started yesterday.. I said WHAT? Long story short, had to call and cancel my GGD Dr appt, call DH and say I won't be home until after 5, have GS take your truck to work..Oh I was exhausted when I finally got home. But I had prayed on my way in, if it was God's will I take this job, they would accept my application and that would be that.. Well God MOVED quickly. So here I am at 7am still at home, but online with you my dear friends!!!! Just the beginning of good things to come. I ate horrible yesterday, but hopefully better today. I literally kept falling asleep when I got home yesterday, but I am more rested this morning.

@mariechinander
    @bevsargent66

Welcome to our new friends you will love it here I think. We all have been a different road and are still on the journey and help each other along the way.

Okay skimmed though the post, but I have to get some other things done before work. Will be settling into a new routine. So hopefully tomorrow I can get back to my norm of getting on here each morning and checking in again.

Cbabie
  • mswatson0777
    mswatson0777 Posts: 290 Member
    @mariechinander Thank you for sharing your experience with Atkins. I'm also not a big meat eater and I don't like a lot of fatty meats so I'm thinking it's a no go for me. Plus, if something makes you feel that foggy can it really be good for you? I'm glad you were able to switch and join us here!

@renaegry Driving a truck would be so challenging for weight loss, I'm impressed by your husband's willpower! And it sounds like you got a fantastic workout in, way to go!

@cbabie Congrats on the new job!!! I can't believe they gave you no lead up time for the training though, how frustrating!

@TeresaW1020 Congrats on the loss, I hope your busy day goes smoothly!

@trooworld I wasn't on here yet when you were keto so I'm glad you let me know! It just seems so unrealistic and something that I couldn't do long term. My partner LOVES it (he does it every once and awhile when his weight goes above his comfortable range). I might try to bump my carbs a little lower to see how I feel, but nothing keto low. Fruit is my favorite food group and we're almost to berry season!

Happy Wednesday! This week is feeling so much calmer for me. I turned in my final for one class (YAY!) and so now I'm just down to the other class for the rest of the term. Summer is going to amp up again but I appreciate getting a little bit of breathing room in the meantime.

My partner gave me the challenge to try low carb for one week to see how I feel at the end of the week so I might try it next week. I figure one week is a do-able test and it will show support for him and his efforts. And if it truly eliminates brain fog and hunger, then I may continue it, but I'm not placing any bets on that one! I live on carbs and fruit, but I've also been struggling with hunger levels so switching it up for a week isn't the worst idea.
  • gemwolf110
    @teresaw1020 Glad you are all back safe and sound. As I'm typing out that sentence I was thinking what does it acutally mean to be "sound". lol If you are of sound mind that means you aren't crazy. Interesting how words and phrases we are taught when we are little are still used and before I never really thought about it. Unless I'm in a contemplative mood. Have a happy bday and I'm glad you got your weights.

@trooworld Oh I can eat a whole bag of Doritos. Now I wouldn't with Lays. Ruffles maybe if I had French Onion Dip. But I've stopped buying Doritos. For a while I would portion the bag into thirds and put each portion in a ziplock and then back into the original bag. So when I reached in, I could "finish the bag". But really I don't even need 1/3. It's nothing but processed food filled with salt and preservatives and won't do a thing for my health. Tastes really good though. So they have been added to my special list of I can eat them but probably won't unless it's a special time.

@mswatson0777 Hooray for you getting back on track right away. That's the key to not gaining weight. I'm carrying a bit of water too today. I was really bloated and rings were tight then I was happy because I could finally get them off and today back to being bloated. Such is the life of a perimenopausal woman I think. I'm learning to roll with it. I think you made the right decison regarding counting calories. At some point we know what works for us but we want to keep trying the things we think that will work faster. But then we can't/don't stick to it so it ends up not working for us in the long run. So now my motto is lose weight but consistently; even if it's slowly.

@gemwolf110 Thanks on the freestyle info. That was the one where everyone was happy they could return to eating eggs and corn for zero points. I don't know which one I would pick if I rejoined but probably green because I could see myself eating lots of the zero point foods. But also I'm a control freak. On the other hand, the zero point foods are probably more healthier for you. It's a toss up. Just the thought of 17 points daily messes with my mind. I know I could eat all of the other foods for free but...... good thing I'm doing carb cycling here on MFP. :wink: You got this.

@mariechinander I started tracking on both and didn't keep up. I got tired of double tracking. That's awesome you kept up with tracking for almost 3 years. It really has become a habit for me. As I was sitting down to dinner tonight my hubby kept trying to tell me a story and I was on MFP trying to see how much food I could eat. We have a phones down rule at dinner. He kept saying phones down phones down like a parrot. I was saying I'M TRYING TO SEE HOW MUCH OF THE MASHED POTATOES I CAN EAT. lol I usually preplan and so don't have this scenario but I didn't. So lesson learned for me. Preplanning is so much better. I was happy I could have 1/2 cup of potatoes but then that left me room for only 4 baby carrots. Your question of why would I gain....it made me think of a person who has diabetes. Sometimes when they try to control the amount of sugar and it's less than the body thinks they should have, the liver can dump some of the stored glucose into their bodies and then they wake up with a higher fasting glucose number. The body is trying to protect itself. It doesn't know the intention of the person who is trying to get of diabetes meds. So back to weight gain, the body thinks uh oh less calories, food must be scarce so it is hanging on to everything you eat in case food supplies continue to be low. It is protecting itself not realizing that the person is trying to lower calories to have better health. They know they can go to the grocery store and get more but the body doesn't. Now that's just my two cents. I'm neither a dr nor a scientist. But I have seen it in practice before. With myself and friends. I know my sweet spot is between 1450-1660. It was a bit higher but then when I kept losing I realized I need to drop my cals just a bit. So I did it by 50 on one day and then the next week I would choose a different day and do 50. I'll probably keep my 1660 (I get that two days a week on Thursday and Saturday for social reasons) Thanks on the popcorn spray info

@renaegry I totally agree with your hubby 80/20 Pareto principle March will be so much better than my February. Shoot it will be better than January too when I got sick. Do NOT want a repeat of that. If you work and work and still see yourself going over carbs maybe try boosting the carbs to 35 and lowering either your protein or fat by 5. Just seeing yourself be successful every day is motivating versus always watching yourself miss the mark on the carbs.

Red Day- 100/100 Exercise -did nothing. booooooo

March Goals- Drink 3 glasses of water o:) Decluttering o:)

I think it's the 17 smart points that get me...it's totally a mess with thy mind thing. I like tracking here because it tells me which categories i am eating more in and there's lots of carbs... I have been eating better the last 2 days getting in 2-3 servings of fruits and veggies. Goal is to have at least 2 servings each everyday of both.

March Goals:

Eat 2 servings each of fruits and veggies, NO ice cream and soda (at least during the workweek), no candy at all (gave it up for lent). get adequate sleep and exercise minimum of 3 times a week. be under 210 lbs by March 26th.
  • theslightedgeforever
    @trooworld Look at all the things you deserve credit for today. you had it in you the whole time. So just concentrate on one day at a time.

@teresaw1020 I'm glad that your scale is going in the right direction. You'll figure out your new normal. Maybe you'll be too busy to snack ;) But there's a danger in also being too busy to prepare healthy meals so you just grab whatever. Is mom going to do the cooking? That would be awesome. Unless it was my mom.....cooking wasn't her thing. lol God love her.

@cbabie The beginning of a new life.......how far of a commute do you have? So with some new routines heading your way add in to it eat more fruit or whatever little step you can take to counterattack the awful eating. Think about this...if you can say no to sweets, you can say no to anything. Was your eating so awful or are you having all or nothing thinking? All of our meals could be better in one form or another.

@mswatson0777 Isn't berry season the best? That's nice of you to try low-carb one week to show your support. I'm glad you are feeling a bit less stressed more rested.

@gemwolf110 I get you on the 17 point thing. It would throw me off too. How many points could you see yourself doing on a daily basis? If it was me, I'd be borrowing from my weeklies let's say 5 a day so at least that's 22. My mind would accept that. That would still give you a bit left over for weeklies. If it's the blue dot thing you are worried about then create your own blue dot system on a sheet of paper at home. Any program can be tweaked to fit you and your lifestyle. Looks like some good goals you have there. If MFP is a better fit for you then just track here.

Yellow Day Stayed OP 162/164 carbs Exercise- did not exercise.

I didn't plan well today. I forgot I we were doing a "picnic" for one of my friends who had a stroke. They allowed us to take her out of rehab place for 1 1/2 hour on her lunch hour. Best thing about it was we all had to watch what we brought because she's on a strict diet. I took chicken fajita meat with peppers and then sandwich thins for anyone who wanted a bit of bread. Her therapist was with us to oversee her diet. But didn't get in my exercise before and not afterwards either. I'm having a hard time getting back in my normal routine since I got sick and then recovered. I think I'm going to have to baby step this. But I did work on my habits.

March goals: Drink 3 glasses of water o:) Decluttering o:)
  • TeresaW1020
    @cbabie, yayyyy for the new job!! I have been up close and personal with God’s timing and sometimes it can be very fast! The good news is that you did what you had to and now you can enjoy your new routine. :)

@mswatson0777, how low carb are you going? Keto is under 20 grams and it takes longer than a week to get to used to it. Don’t let him push you farther than you are willing to go and still feel good. Having said that, I am also going to try to watch my carbs more closely and up my protein. ;)

@gemwolf110, you have a good plan to reach your goal by March 26th. I’m 3.4 lbs away from 210 and I would very much like to be at 210 lb. by March 26th too! How about a little fun competition to see who gets there first? B)

@theslightedgeforever, no mom is not going to cook! Cooking was never her thing either except for a very few recipes she has mastered over the years. I love to cook and she and DH can fight over doing the dishes. I’m making chicken fajitas tonight for dinner. How nice to have a picnic for your friend. :)

Good morning! It’s early and I’m about to head off to work. I haven’t been in since last Friday and I have a ton to do. I took mom to her first church event last night and she had a really good time. She is in terrible shape and has very bad stiffness in her legs so I’m hoping that living here and eating a better diet and walking on my treadmill will help to get her in better condition. I started back on 21-Day Fix and my legs are VERY stiff too!! :D
  • cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,546 Member
    Morning all!!! I can feel the weight in my body, some I am sure is the water from the foods I have eaten with sodium in it. I typically don't eat salty foods, but this week..ugh!!! Well today I start my normal hours from 9-1, I am excited to see the change. Yesterday everyone in my training class was talking about this virus.. I said you know there are somethings we just can't control. We can control washing our hands, not being around sick people in some environments, we can control our choices. So I say that to say it's easy for fear or stress to take control of our minds and we eat or not eat based on those emotions. I am taking this 1 day at a time as I am stress eating and I do get caught up in that fear once in a while. So today I will try to counter my thoughts that are not so good with something I can control in my thoughts. As someone said yesterday..baby steps. Remember playing Mother May I? Take 2 giant steps forward...take 3 baby steps....blah blah blah..it was a game, but maybe just maybe, I can put apply that to my thoughts today!

@mswatson0777 Yes it's very frustrating, but I got through it. Yea on the class and yes sometimes we just need to change it up, even if it's one day. Right?

@gemwolf110 Yes I used to try to only eat the points and not use my weekly points but I soon failed. It was too strict. Sounds like you have a plan. I am with you on the adequate sleep.. LOL

@theslightedgeforever You will get YOU back..I am so happy you got to have lunch with your friend. Glad she is doing well enough to go out!! Yes I know I should find fruit . I haven't been to the store in a couple of weeks except to buy baby needs or grandchildren needs for food..so this weekend I will try to get more fruit!! That was how I lost my weight before. I always had a bowl of cantaloupe cut up in my fridge.

@TeresaW1020 Yes as my sister said our mom was no cook!!! So I think you have a good plan. I always hated doing the dishes anyway. LOL . So glad your mom enjoyed your outing at a church function. I bet she will find "her" set of friends very soon!!

Cbabie