March 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,537 Member
    Options
    Just for fun it it going to rain all day again today!! Happy Thursday!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @noblsheep Hey good to hear from you. How are things over there? Life at all getting back to normal?
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    So I asked my friend today, “do you feel like running in the middle of the night through the woods in the humidity and heat of Arkansas in July for fifteen or thirty one miles?”

She’s down for 15 so I’m doing the 15 also. I’m pretty excited. There will be glow sticks.

Make sure you spray down good with bug spray. Also, bring a camera you could shoot the next Blair Witch Project while you are at it! ;)
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    poor old girl got in a fight with speed demon while i was out teaching yoga. thankfully, speed demon is ok. old girl got her butt handed to her. Speed Demon would rather walk away from a fight but if you corner her, she will finish the fight. no vet needed but old girl will not be joining us for any short runs. speed demon and i might go out tonight. or just me. it's supposed to rain

I was extremely confused at first but I'm assuming this is about two dogs now.
    I'm so sorry to hear that! I'm glad your older dog is okay.
    If I were you, I would keep them separated when not supervised. Maybe like block one in one part of the house, and the other in a different part of the house. Fights can easily get nasty, and if no one was home, you have no idea what triggered it. I would hate to see the older dog get seriously injured.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Training Question!

For the month of March, Madison will be taking social skills classes every Saturday from 10am-1pm. This drastically changes the kids' schedule with their dad and for this month, I will not have Saturdays *mostly* free. I will be able to probably lift and do a short run early early in the mornings but I'd rather use that time to get one-on-one time with my son. Which means that for 4 of the last 7 Saturdays I have left, I'll only be able to begin my long run at around 3. Which actually sounds horrible because it means I'll be running after dark on the 18 and 22 mile days. And this would also be after having already had a full day.

OR

I can resign myself to missing four Sundays of church. Also not preferable.

Which would you do?
  • PastorVincent
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Training Question!

For the month of March, Madison will be taking social skills classes every Saturday from 10am-1pm. This drastically changes the kids' schedule with their dad and for this month, I will not have Saturdays *mostly* free. I will be able to probably lift and do a short run early early in the mornings but I'd rather use that time to get one-on-one time with my son. Which means that for 4 of the last 7 Saturdays I have left, I'll only be able to begin my long run at around 3. Which actually sounds horrible because it means I'll be running after dark on the 18 and 22 mile days. And this would also be after having already had a full day.

OR

Which would you do?

Do not forget we change the clocks soon giving you an extra hour of sun later in the day (stealing it from the morning).

For me missing 4 Sundays of church is not an option, nor would be giving up time with my son, so I would run into the dark.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Training Question!

OR

Which would you do?

Have you factored in the extra hour of daylight we're getting when we switch to DST this weekend?
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,234 Member
    Options
    Training Question!

OR

Which would you do?

I would also run in the dark.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Training Question!

OR

Which would you do?

Although not ideal. One of the books I was reading from a marathoner said that in a pinch he would break his long run into two separate runs in the sams day due to schedule conflicts. A few miles in that morning and the rest in the evening.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 I'd run into the dark, or look for another day, or split the run up during the day, or try to include the kid on Saturday for part of the run (like running circles around a playground or putting him on a bike with snacks and drinks), or run during her class, or probably a combination of trying different things every week. The long run is important, but so are the other things you mentioned, so at some point you might just have to decide which is more important for those 4 weeks. I'm guessing no one here is going to judge you either way. Sometimes it's tough to get the training done and have a life too!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    For those that are wondering...

Qualifying times for Boston 2020:

Men

18-34 ::: 2hrs 58min 21sec
    35-39 ::: 3hrs 03min 21sec
    40-44 ::: 3hrs 08min 21sec
    45-49 ::: 3hrs 18min 21sec
    50-54 ::: 3hrs 23min 21sec
    55-59 ::: 3hrs 33min 21sec
    60-64 ::: 3hrs 48min 21sec
    65-69 ::: 4hrs 03min 21sec
    70-74 ::: 4hrs 18min 21sec
    75-79 ::: 4hrs 33min 21sec
    80 and over ::: 4hrs 48min 21sec

Women

18-34 ::: 3hrs 28min 21sec
    35-39 ::: 3hrs 33min 21sec
    40-44 ::: 3hrs 38min 21sec
    45-49 ::: 3hrs 48min 21sec
    50-54 ::: 3hrs 53min 21sec
    55-59 ::: 4hrs 03min 21sec
    60-64 ::: 4hrs 18min 21sec
    65-69 ::: 4hrs 33min 21sec
    70-74 ::: 4hrs 48min 21sec
    75-79 ::: 5hrs 03min 21sec
    80 and over ::: 5hrs 18min 21sec

If I just change my gender, I can do this! :D

src: https://www.baa.org/2020-boston-marathon-qualifier-acceptances-announced
  • halllar
    halllar Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Training Question!

OR

Which would you do?

Im not sure of your training plan or where you are in it but my first thing is why a 22 mile run at all? in some situations depending on how good your base is the 18 mile run could be your longest run or even 16. Not ideal but in a pinch it could get you to the finish line. Again I am new here and know nothing about you or your training so take what I say with that in mind.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    March goal: get back to running 2-3 days per week. 5K in April.

3/3 - Ran 1.76 miles (total run: 1.76 miles)
    3/4 - Walk 3.3 miles (total walk: 3.3 miles)
    3/5 - Ran 1.8 miles (total run: 3.56 miles)

Lately I have found the guided runs on my Nike App. They have been really helpful for this solo runner, used the "I Don't Wanna Run Run" and "Easy Run". I start my Garmin and the app (with the Spotify playlist suggested) & next thing I know, I'm almost at the end!

My problem now is, on the Nike App, I get 2 different entries. Like, for this morning, the Garmin entry says 1.80 miles, 14;15 pace & 25:47 total, but Nike says 1.81 miles, 13:47 pace, 25:00 total. Which one should I keep? (Strava says 1.80, 14:16, 25:47) On the MFP app I delete the one that says "running in place" as they both have the same calories, so it doesn't matter as much which platform, and I know the total milage is pretty much the same, but for pace, I want to be as close to what I really am. Garmin/Strava? Nike?
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    March goal: get back to running 2-3 days per week. 5K in April.

3/3 - Ran 1.76 miles (total run: 1.76 miles)
    3/4 - Walk 3.3 miles (total walk: 3.3 miles)
    3/5 - Ran 1.8 miles (total run: 3.56 miles)

Lately I have found the guided runs on my Nike App. They have been really helpful for this solo runner, used the "I Don't Wanna Run Run" and "Easy Run". I start my Garmin and the app (with the Spotify playlist suggested) & next thing I know, I'm almost at the end!

My problem now is, on the Nike App, I get 2 different entries. Like, for this morning, the Garmin entry says 1.80 miles, 14;15 pace & 25:47 total, but Nike says 1.81 miles, 13:47 pace, 25:00 total. Which one should I keep? (Strava says 1.80, 14:16, 25:47) On the MFP app I delete the one that says "running in place" as they both have the same calories, so it doesn't matter as much which platform, and I know the total milage is pretty much the same, but for pace, I want to be as close to what I really am. Garmin/Strava? Nike?

I have never used the Nike App, but I know that Strava only counts "moving miles" or some such wording. That means it drops any distance/time when it thinks you are not moving. This will cause minor differences like you are seeing. Check to see if Nike has an option like that. (With Strava you can turn that feature off)

In any case, where I have a difference and need a number, I use Garmin's numbers. Garmin is on my wrist and doing the actual measuring and is closest to the data so more likely to be correct.

Also there could be rounding differences which cause minor differences.