March 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Faebert wrote: »
    Hi all, not sure if anyone remembers me but I was in the monthly running challenge forums last year before ‘leaving’ in Dec to have a preventative double mastectomy (some pretty awful family history made it a no brainer).

It has not been the easiest road to recovery and I have felt pretty down at times thinking I will never get fit again. But it’s now 12 weeks since surgery and docs said wait 10-12 weeks. I cautiously ran a tiny bit from 10 weeks onwards and I’m slowly getting there! Managed 17.8 miles in February (plus more I didn’t track on indoor treadmill) and I’m able to run 6k in one go without stopping now - probably more but I’m desperate not to injure myself when I’ve barely begun. Trying to remind myself not to compare my running to pre-surgery, but instead think about how far I’ve come since surgery, when I could barely walk...

So I’m in for a tentative goal 36 miles for the month.

Glad to be back. 👋 X

March goal: 36 miles
    March total: 3.3 miles

2/3: 3.3 miles

February total: 17.8m
    January total: 0m

Great to have you back!!!!!
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Also! @hamsterwheel6 GOOD RACING! You're amazing!

I just got a notification that my new shorts shipped!

And @Faebert - I remember you! You are so brave to have that surgery and I hope you are doing well in your recovery. You'll bounce back and you'll be setting goals and nailing them before you know it. It's a journey. I am proud of you for what you have overcome and for continuing to press on.

Thanks! Yay for new gear!
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    @hamsterwheel6 Congratulations and nice pictures!!!

THis! YAY!
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent Awesome progress. I see a BQ in your future.

@hamsterwheel6 fantastic race! Congrats on the 1st place AG win, and series award as well!

@Faebert welcome back! You are such a brave and strong person! Take it slow coming back, and just enjoy it!

@kimlight2 yep, I would try to race both. Since you (presumably) paid to race, I think you would be doing yourself a disservice if you just ran them as a training run.
    But that's just my opinion 😉 Do what you are comfortable with.

Thanks!
    @Scott6255 Not quite yet for the series award..this race moved me up in standings though!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    3.2 pushing the stroller, tires need air and I'm too reliant on my husband to do anything involving tires. Not a fantastic run, but done!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    kimlight2 wrote: »
    So I think I did something stupid today LOL. I thought I was scheduled for the 2 mile option for my March race but I wanted to change to the 5 mile race. I went to the website and tried to make the change but noticed I was listed twice for the 2 mile race. I switched one to the 5 miler and reached out to verify what I saw and yes I am scheduled for both races. Start time wise and mileage wise I can do both and just treat them as a long run not a race. I am scheduled for 8 miles that day anyways so am I stupid to just leave it and do both just take my time or should I cancel the 2 mile race?

If it was me, I would run both races and do my best to PR in both races. But everyone knows I am not quite right in the head. :)

I would do the same, so maybe you are less crazy than you think.

Or maybe you are more crazy than you think! :D:D

Could be. Or I'm more crazy than I'm willing to admit.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 - Congratulations on the AG win!!!

@Faebert - Welcome back!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @Faebert so glad to see you check in. So glad to hear you are recovering and easing back into running. I'm sure it must have been a major thing to recover from and you are doing great to be back up to 6k. Take it slowly, you will get there!

@hamsterwheel6 great job on your race and age group win!

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    03/01/20 :::: 4.1 :::: 4.1
    03/02/20 :::: 3.9 :::: 8.0

Group speedwork tonight - I nearly bailed because while it got up to 50 degrees today, it had started raining this afternoon and the temp was dropping. But we started a new little "team challenge" this month where your team gets points if you attend groups, so I didn't want to let my team down already. We got really luck and the rain pretty much stopped or was very light. The workout was long intervals of 5-7-3 minutes with 3 minutes recovery in between.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    kimlight2 wrote: »
    So I think I did something stupid today LOL. I thought I was scheduled for the 2 mile option for my March race but I wanted to change to the 5 mile race. I went to the website and tried to make the change but noticed I was listed twice for the 2 mile race. I switched one to the 5 miler and reached out to verify what I saw and yes I am scheduled for both races. Start time wise and mileage wise I can do both and just treat them as a long run not a race. I am scheduled for 8 miles that day anyways so am I stupid to just leave it and do both just take my time or should I cancel the 2 mile race?

If it was me, I would run both races and do my best to PR in both races. But everyone knows I am not quite right in the head. :)

I would do the same, so maybe you are less crazy than you think.

Or maybe you are more crazy than you think! :D:D

Could be. Or I'm more crazy than I'm willing to admit.

Have you run a Marathon in Texas yet?
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,965 Member
    Options
    Great run @hamsterwheel6 !

Welcome to all of the new people!

@Faebert Glad you are back and doing so well!

@shanaber Glad you enjoyed part of your run, even if it was hard. Hobbes is so regal looking in that last picture!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    @mandabeth34 your running buddy is adorable!

@LC0924 welcome!

@hamsterwheel6 great job on your race!!

@paymentm welcome!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    @Faebert I remember you! Welcome back! I’m glad to hear you are recovering but wish it had been smoother for you. Listen to your body and do walk/run intervals when you need to. You’re smart to be cautious and avoid injury.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    @Faebert
    That is so inspiring! Glad you are getting back to running! Cheers!

@hamsterwheel6
    what a great accomplishment!

@polskagirl01
    That race sounds really cool! Love the medal!