March 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,336 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    Guess I went full crazy full speed. First chip I ever wore was for a full Marathon. I've done 5K's before but it was only to kick off the school year, not something I would do if I wasn't with coworkers. Never thought of 5K or 10K as long distance before. First 10K is this month 3 miles from my house (where I ran for training) and it was cheap. Half Marathon was my first choice because I didn't think I could run a Full but I'm glad I did, glad husband pushed me. Now if I have to drive a distance to get there, I want the Full experience and not to come home feeling like I cheated myself.

I do almost exclusively travel races. I enjoy the experience, the scenery, etc. I’ve settled on a half as a good distance because you can kind of wing-it (sort of) it something doesn’t go quite right in training, it’s long enough to feel like an accomplishment and you get to see a lot of the beauty of wherever you’re running, and it doesn’t take so much out of you that you can’t continue to enjoy traipsing around wherever you are.

Last October I ran the Arches half in Moab, Utah. It was the most beautiful place I have ever run. But you’re running along in this canyon, next to the Colorado River; and somewhere about mile 6 or 7( you turn a corner and the whole thing opens up to this incredible expanse framed by red rocks. It was kind of indescribable (if you’re into nature and stuff). They also have a 10k. They don’t get to have that though because they start after that point.

And then I traipsed around Moab hiking and rappelling and pretending like I was some sort of outdoor adventurer for another week. I don’t think I could have done as much after a full.

I’m supposed to run Canyonlands next weekend (it’s a different 13 miles on the same road as the Arches half). I hope I’m recovered enough to do it. It is such an incredibly beautiful place.

But in general-I’m feeling like the flagship event distance is the one I try to aim for. Like the RnR Las Vegas-the half is the event. For the full-they have you running around traffic cones in random parking lots just to hit the distance. That’s no fun. But others-the full is the deal.

All big talk from someone who commented not even 5 minutes ago that I’m never doing another full. Liar, liar my pants are on fire.

You definitely could wing a Half, at least the one I ran through. I told my husband you could tell the difference by the people walking it and it was so annoying because it was a cluster... I'm slow too but it's annoying to weave through walkers. At least after the HM people cleared out, it wasn't a cluster anymore and you could navigate nicely through the race at whatever speed. I do want to run a Half with my daughter but if she has to walk, I'll wait for her at the finish or come back through for her. I'm mean but I guess I'm teaching her to run her best.

The outdoors anything sounds nice as long as there's no heights involved (no rappelling). I have to look up some things, like "what is a flagship event distance." I want to visit Colorado one day (brother-in-law lives there) and Utah for the ski/jacuzzi springs underneath. I hope you recover quickly!

“flagship” as in that’s the “big” event. Like a lot of races have multiple distances but often times (but not always) one is really the “big” event or the main event (and most people run that distance). It’s not always the longest distance.

Gotcha, thank you!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,336 Member
    Options
    bearly63 wrote: »
    @dreamer12151
    Wow....2020 can only get better! Sorry to hear about your fur baby. We put one down last fall and it was difficult.

@LoveyChar
    That race looks fun! Where do they hold it?

@shanaber
    In TX, we have Taco Tuesday. Im really good at Taco Tuesday! But then I need to add some Tabatas to counter the effects of Tacos. 😂

Krause Springs in Spicewood, Texas... down your way I think.

Oh it's Taco Tuesday or Tender Tuesday (Bush's...yum)!!! But I'm not eating Taco Bell, my husband's favorite fast food in the world!
  • mandabeth34
    mandabeth34 Posts: 158 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    @dreamer12151 I’m so sorry to hear about your pup. I know what a painful decision that is, I had to make that decision in 2016 with my little pug I had with me since I was in my early 20s.
    Yes, that’s a Brittany Spaniel, my first doggie since my pug. I thought long and hard about what breed I wanted, needed a dog big enough to run with me and my husband, small enough to fit in my tiny house and yard, good with kids (she is) and hopefully good with other dogs (she is).
    The only problem is a 3 mile run barely phases her. And she’s just a year old!
    She’s a terrific runner, I keep her under 6 miles now, mostly 3-4, but she’ll go longer when she gets a little older. I’m way too slow for her haha

@shanaber We considered a Vizsla too! They seemed a good compromise between the Brittany I wanted and the Weimaraner my husband wanted. In the end I won out, but we really liked the Vizsla too
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,021 Member
    Options
    @dreamer12151 So sorry to hear about all of your bad news. I hope the rest of 2020 makes up for January and Feb!

I got home late today, so cut my run a little short. I did 2 miles on the treadmill, (one fast and one about normal speed) to make up for the shorter distance. The fast one I did in 10 minutes. Not quite my fastest, but almost. Total distance traversed was 2.75 miles.

exercise.png
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    bearly63 wrote: »
    Went to the Doc today – of course hip felt better since my run on Sunday. He took an X Ray and didn’t see anything really off structurally. He thought an MRI made sense to look at ligaments and labrum but told me I could wait and see if I preferred. I am done waiting….ready to move on. So getting the MRI Thursday. I will just keep moving in the mean time.

Thanks for your advice regarding my hip issues. I'm glad that your hip is feeling better and there's nothing off structurally, I'm keeping my fingers crossed yours is sorted quickly.

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    dcresider wrote: »
    @PastorVincent - The only reason why I run that far is because I'm training for a race. :smile: Otherwise, are you crazy to run that far for the fun of it?

Well... yes, some of us have run those distances for fun :) Welcome to the group!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Half marathons are tough enough and that's the furthest I've ever rain. I can't even fathom doing a full marathon because my time is to precious to train for it. :) Good luck to those who can though. (I once said I'd never run a half so you never know ;)

Be very careful.
    I once said "OMG A WHOLE 5K? THAT IS SOOOOO FAR!"
    Then I said "A 10-mile race is the limit of insanity. I mean why run farther?"
    Then I was "If I can just do a marathon..."
    Then I was like "Well, a 50k is only a little farther..."

Some day I need to run an official 1/2 marathon race though. :D

this is the truth!

I was vehement that I was never doing a full. I didn’t have the time to train. It’s too much commitment to run as a second job for 6 months. Half’s are plenty-long enough to be long but not life consuming. I’m too slow so I really takes too much time. On and on and on. For years.

I just finished my second full and I already know I’m lying that I’m never doing another one. My next long race target is a 50k. Cause If I’m not doing another full, I’m surely ok to do something longer. *eyeroll at self emoji*

In all honesty, I currently have a hard stop at 50k. The next step up is 50 miles and while I am sure I could do it, the time commitment is beyond me right now and for the foreseeable future. I am actually considering dropping down to 1/2 marathon to 30k for my range after my current training plan is complete.

You mean after you qualify for Boston, you're going to drop down to half marathons instead? ;)

Yes, after the BQ attempt I will probably not run any more road full marathons. Not ruling out trail though :)
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Half marathons are tough enough and that's the furthest I've ever rain. I can't even fathom doing a full marathon because my time is to precious to train for it. :) Good luck to those who can though. (I once said I'd never run a half so you never know ;)

Be very careful.
    I once said "OMG A WHOLE 5K? THAT IS SOOOOO FAR!"
    Then I said "A 10-mile race is the limit of insanity. I mean why run farther?"
    Then I was "If I can just do a marathon..."
    Then I was like "Well, a 50k is only a little farther..."

Some day I need to run an official 1/2 marathon race though. :D

this is the truth!

I was vehement that I was never doing a full. I didn’t have the time to train. It’s too much commitment to run as a second job for 6 months. Half’s are plenty-long enough to be long but not life consuming. I’m too slow so I really takes too much time. On and on and on. For years.

I just finished my second full and I already know I’m lying that I’m never doing another one. My next long race target is a 50k. Cause If I’m not doing another full, I’m surely ok to do something longer. *eyeroll at self emoji*

In all honesty, I currently have a hard stop at 50k. The next step up is 50 miles and while I am sure I could do it, the time commitment is beyond me right now and for the foreseeable future. I am actually considering dropping down to 1/2 marathon to 30k for my range after my current training plan is complete.

You mean after you qualify for Boston, you're going to drop down to half marathons instead? ;)

Yes, after the BQ attempt I will probably not run any more road full marathons. Not ruling out trail though :)

So you just want to BQ but not actually do Boston?