• hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Great racing @hamsterwheel6 :)

Thank you!!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,975 Member
    Options
    @Tramboman I'll have to look into that and see how they are set. Strava seems to have me mostly in zones 3 and 4 which are about the same as what garmin has for zones 4 and 5. I probably set one of them once but not the other.

@hamsterwheel6 Congrats on the AG win! I've always heard not to go out too fast in a race, but there is a 5K that I have done a few times and there is a pretty good hill about 2.5 miles in. I find if I go out fast then I do better than if I wait until later in the race to try to pick up the speed.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 Congratulations and nice pictures!!!
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Saw the eye dr today for my yearly -

The doctor recommends contact lenses instead of my glasses and prescription sunglasses.

So I got new lenses for the frames I have and they're fitting me for contacts next week. It'll be an interesting experience. I don't like feeling like I have something in my eye...
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,975 Member
    Options

The doctor recommends contact lenses instead of my glasses and prescription sunglasses.

So I got new lenses for the frames I have and they're fitting me for contacts next week. It'll be an interesting experience. I don't like feeling like I have something in my eye...

Once you get used to wearing the contacts you won't feel them in your eyes.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »

Once you get used to wearing the contacts you won't feel them in your eyes.

I've always heard this, but I've never been able to get to this point (I am a giant baby).
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    @autumnblade75 Body Glide. Saves me every time.

I've heard of it. I think I just won't wear the underwear that come up to *just under* that lower waistband seam inside those shorts. I have some that cover more of my butt. They show more "VPL" but I'm not vain enough to care. If I didn't notice until after mile 9, it's probably fine for most runs, anyway. Just something to avoid on race day.

• hamsterwheel6
    Options
    @kgirlhart @LoveyChar Thank you!
    I think it was a good thing I started fast too, lol. THE HILL starts at 1 mile and then because of the course, again at about 2.6 ish so basically till the finish. Not to mention the hills in between. So the fast 1st mile helped my overall time!
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options

Ive debated this for a long while now. I just don’t think I would be good at remembering to keep putting them in and taking them out. Or do they make them now where you can just leave them in?
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 Super race! Well done.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is a busy group! :)

Did anyone watch the US marathon trials on Saturday? I was able to watch the whole thing -- some amazing racing. It looked like quite a difficult course.

3/1: 9m
    3/2: 1.75m

Yes, I managed to find a live stream available outside the US ;) and I loved all the surprises from several people who weren't even listed in any of the predictions. I'm honestly not a big Rupp fan (or NOP in general), but he certainly did a great job and deserved that first place finish.

I liked the way the top 2 females worked together, and loved what the 2 ladies who weren't born in the USA had to say after the race. Aliphine Tuliamuk said something like she feels like this is one way she can give back to the country that has given so much to her.

Of course it's hard to watch the 4th and 5th place winners crossing the line. They've worked so hard and it's a huge accomplishment... but to be so close and not get it :(

@hamsterwheel6 awesome race! Great job!!!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 Yes, I'm not a huge Rupp/NOP fan either, but I can't deny that he ran a great race.

It's absolutely gutting to watch the 4th and 5th place finishers. I always feel so bad for them, to run such a great race that would really be the envy of 99.9% of marathoners and still come up short!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 Great race! I got my 5k pr by bombing the downhill at the start, tried the same thing on the same course a year later and ended up going out too hard and dying. It’s always a gamble, but you can’t win if you don’t try!
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    @Tramboman @polskagirl01 @rheddmobile Thanks very much, and yes you gotta try!
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    kimlight2 wrote: »
    So I think I did something stupid today LOL. I thought I was scheduled for the 2 mile option for my March race but I wanted to change to the 5 mile race. I went to the website and tried to make the change but noticed I was listed twice for the 2 mile race. I switched one to the 5 miler and reached out to verify what I saw and yes I am scheduled for both races. Start time wise and mileage wise I can do both and just treat them as a long run not a race. I am scheduled for 8 miles that day anyways so am I stupid to just leave it and do both just take my time or should I cancel the 2 mile race?

Go for it! And who knows you might feel good to even get a good time. Like above , you never know unless you try!
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 I have NO idea!!!! I prefer to wear my glasses most of the time because they're easy, but they do slip. I know I won't give them up completely, but it might be nice to not have to worry about them for long runs and night runs etc. It would also be nice to spend wayyyyyyyy less on prescription sunglasses.

At the same time, I feel like I'm trading the carefree ability to just put my glasses on for a more laborious and intentional routine, by way of contacts.

I also think that I am not really saving money, because instead of prescription sunglasses, I'll be spending money on contacts.

A change might not be a bad thing, though? Maybe I'll love them? Who knows.

I think they do make them where you can wear them all the time, but we'll see I guess.