3/7 Snickers Marathon- Albany, GA
    3/22 Yuengling Shamrock Marathon- Virginia Beach, VA
    3/29 Go! St. Louis Half Marathon- St. Louis, MO

I’m doing the Shamrock marathon too!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Faebert wrote: »
    Hi all, not sure if anyone remembers me but I was in the monthly running challenge forums last year before ‘leaving’ in Dec to have a preventative double mastectomy (some pretty awful family history made it a no brainer).

It has not been the easiest road to recovery and I have felt pretty down at times thinking I will never get fit again. But it’s now 12 weeks since surgery and docs said wait 10-12 weeks. I cautiously ran a tiny bit from 10 weeks onwards and I’m slowly getting there! Managed 17.8 miles in February (plus more I didn’t track on indoor treadmill) and I’m able to run 6k in one go without stopping now - probably more but I’m desperate not to injure myself when I’ve barely begun. Trying to remind myself not to compare my running to pre-surgery, but instead think about how far I’ve come since surgery, when I could barely walk...

So I’m in for a tentative goal 36 miles for the month.

Glad to be back. 👋 X

March goal: 36 miles
    March total: 3.3 miles

2/3: 3.3 miles

February total: 17.8m
    January total: 0m

Welcome back. Getting back up to speed after a break is always tough, especially after surgery. But you’ll get there - the first six weeks are always the worst.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Also! @hamsterwheel6 GOOD RACING! You're amazing!

I just got a notification that my new shorts shipped!

And @Faebert - I remember you! You are so brave to have that surgery and I hope you are doing well in your recovery. You'll bounce back and you'll be setting goals and nailing them before you know it. It's a journey. I am proud of you for what you have overcome and for continuing to press on.
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 I have NO idea!!!! I prefer to wear my glasses most of the time because they're easy, but they do slip. I know I won't give them up completely, but it might be nice to not have to worry about them for long runs and night runs etc. It would also be nice to spend wayyyyyyyy less on prescription sunglasses.

At the same time, I feel like I'm trading the carefree ability to just put my glasses on for a more laborious and intentional routine, by way of contacts.

I also think that I am not really saving money, because instead of prescription sunglasses, I'll be spending money on contacts.

A change might not be a bad thing, though? Maybe I'll love them? Who knows.

I think they do make them where you can wear them all the time, but we'll see I guess.

All of the same worries/questions I have, lol. Let me know!
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    Hi all, not sure if anyone remembers me but I was in the monthly running challenge forums last year before ‘leaving’ in Dec to have a preventative double mastectomy (some pretty awful family history made it a no brainer).

It has not been the easiest road to recovery and I have felt pretty down at times thinking I will never get fit again. But it’s now 12 weeks since surgery and docs said wait 10-12 weeks. I cautiously ran a tiny bit from 10 weeks onwards and I’m slowly getting there! Managed 17.8 miles in February (plus more I didn’t track on indoor treadmill) and I’m able to run 6k in one go without stopping now - probably more but I’m desperate not to injure myself when I’ve barely begun. Trying to remind myself not to compare my running to pre-surgery, but instead think about how far I’ve come since surgery, when I could barely walk...

So I’m in for a tentative goal 36 miles for the month.

Glad to be back. 👋 X

March goal: 36 miles
    March total: 3.3 miles

2/3: 3.3 miles

February total: 17.8m
    January total: 0m

Welcome back! Glad it all went well! Getting back is always hard, but I have no doubt it won’t take you long 😀. Just take it easy.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 I have NO idea!!!! I prefer to wear my glasses most of the time because they're easy, but they do slip. I know I won't give them up completely, but it might be nice to not have to worry about them for long runs and night runs etc. It would also be nice to spend wayyyyyyyy less on prescription sunglasses.

At the same time, I feel like I'm trading the carefree ability to just put my glasses on for a more laborious and intentional routine, by way of contacts.

I also think that I am not really saving money, because instead of prescription sunglasses, I'll be spending money on contacts.

I think they do make them where you can wear them all the time, but we'll see I guess.

I wear the contacts that you wear continuously for a month. Until I can afford LASIK, this is the next best thing. Cheap sunglasses, I can see all the time, no rain/fog/etc issues, no slipping glasses in yoga.

Very likely not a big money saver though. I do buy mine on sale and through cash back portals and get reimbursed through my FSA, but they are still a disposable product (not inexpensive - approx $20 per month).

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    March plans:
    3/1 Little Rock Half Marathon- Little Rock, AR
    3/7 Snickers Marathon- Albany, GA
    3/22 Yuengling Shamrock Marathon- Virginia Beach, VA
    3/29 Go! St. Louis Half Marathon- St. Louis, MO

I’m doing the Shamrock marathon too!

We should see if we can meet up and get an MFP photo.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    @Faebert I remember you! You are such a strong woman and I am so happy you triumphed over this! You are an amazing woman and I say this as someone who has been scared and even being scared can bring life to a screeching halt (at least for me it almost did) but I could never compare anything you have been through to what I have been through. I could only pray for your courage if facing the same circumstances. I'm glad you're back...!!! Slow and steady and you'll be ready and you have our support...!!!
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options

I wear the contacts that you wear continuously for a month. Until I can afford LASIK, this is the next best thing. Cheap sunglasses, I can see all the time, no rain/fog/etc issues, no slipping glasses in yoga.

Very likely not a big money saver though. I do buy mine on sale and through cash back portals and get reimbursed through my FSA, but they are still a disposable product (not inexpensive - approx $20 per month).

Thanks for the info. I will have to compare costs. I’m due for an eye exam soon so will check on it.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

It's so good to see you back! Glad you are healing and back to running!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I finished in 29:23 which was good for 1st in my AG! So so surprised!
    13 out of 71 all females, so very pleased. And I moved up to 2nd in AG for the series standings.
    One thing to note - of the two ladies I'm always chasing (who am I kidding, I won't catch them they are almost always 2-3 min faster than me) one did the 8K and one didn't race at all.
    But either way I will take the win!

Congratulations on a great race and winning in your age group!!!
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    I finished in 29:23 which was good for 1st in my AG! So so surprised!
    13 out of 71 all females, so very pleased. And I moved up to 2nd in AG for the series standings.
    One thing to note - of the two ladies I'm always chasing (who am I kidding, I won't catch them they are almost always 2-3 min faster than me) one did the 8K and one didn't race at all.
    But either way I will take the win!

Congratulations on a great race and winning in your age group!!!

Thank you!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »

It's so good to see you back! Glad you are healing and back to running!

Yep! We remember you! WB!!!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    @hamsterwheel6 Congratulations and nice pictures!!!

THis! YAY!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    kimlight2 wrote: »
    So I think I did something stupid today LOL. I thought I was scheduled for the 2 mile option for my March race but I wanted to change to the 5 mile race. I went to the website and tried to make the change but noticed I was listed twice for the 2 mile race. I switched one to the 5 miler and reached out to verify what I saw and yes I am scheduled for both races. Start time wise and mileage wise I can do both and just treat them as a long run not a race. I am scheduled for 8 miles that day anyways so am I stupid to just leave it and do both just take my time or should I cancel the 2 mile race?

If it was me, I would run both races and do my best to PR in both races. But everyone knows I am not quite right in the head. :)

I would do the same, so maybe you are less crazy than you think.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Awesome progress. I see a BQ in your future.

@hamsterwheel6 fantastic race! Congrats on the 1st place AG win, and series award as well!

@Faebert welcome back! You are such a brave and strong person! Take it slow coming back, and just enjoy it!

@kimlight2 yep, I would try to race both. Since you (presumably) paid to race, I think you would be doing yourself a disservice if you just ran them as a training run.
    But that's just my opinion 😉 Do what you are comfortable with.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    kimlight2 wrote: »
    So I think I did something stupid today LOL. I thought I was scheduled for the 2 mile option for my March race but I wanted to change to the 5 mile race. I went to the website and tried to make the change but noticed I was listed twice for the 2 mile race. I switched one to the 5 miler and reached out to verify what I saw and yes I am scheduled for both races. Start time wise and mileage wise I can do both and just treat them as a long run not a race. I am scheduled for 8 miles that day anyways so am I stupid to just leave it and do both just take my time or should I cancel the 2 mile race?

Definitely run both, and not as a training run either. You have options depending on which event is first. IMO, if the 2 miler is first, that'll make an excellent warm up for you to try and blitz the 5 miler – I'd take the first race at a steady clip with a decent sprint finish, leaving you ready to smash the second event. If the 5 miler is first, race it as though it was the only event, then take the 2 miler as it comes - you'll be lovely and warmed up and may surprise yourself. Enjoy!