March 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    SUNDAY UPDATE - Pastor Vincent vs Boston!

For those new/or with short memories I recently hired a coach to help me run faster - with the goal of a BQ in 2021. It is probably an unrealistic goal, but I am not getting any younger, so going for it. Several people asked to be updated on what the coach has in for me so I post each week what the coach's plan was, and what I actually did.

I did so bad this week I almost did not update, but I need to get myself back on track somehow and hiding my head in the sand will not do it. So here we go:

DAY :::: PLAN :::: ACTUAL
    Monday :::: 8+Strides :::: 8 + Strides
    Tuesday :::: Rest Day ::::: 1 hour cross training
    Wednesday :::: 4 easy + 6 @ HMP :::: 0 - Wife broke down a couple of towns away - went to rescue
    Thursday :::: 11 miles :::: 11 miles
    Friday :::: Rest Day :::: Rest Day
    Saturday ::::: 20 miles ::::: 20 miles
    Sunday ::::: 5 miles ::::: 0 Miles - got sucked in a 2.5 hour meeting instead

Total Miles: Plan 55, Actual 40

Next week will be better!

You made the right right choice by rescuing wife. I think you adjusted as much as you could to the obstacles you faced.
  • TarynF226
    TarynF226 Posts: 62 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    If anyone remembers my first post I'm using Pacer app to track my steps and total distance so walking mostly for me and short runs (It's jogging because I can't run worth peanuts yet) Brisk walk in to work today and on my feet for work (cashier) so got a good 10k to start me off this month. Aiming for 200km min total.

(And its late and *kitten* cold out but I'm going out for a walk because I literally have nothing better to do so hopefully I'll get another few km and maybe stay in when it rains tomorrow😅)

Edit: ooh profanity filter cool 🤣forgot about that
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! I would love to join this challenge. I'm starting over (again) so I will set a goal of 50mi for March. I'm just finding this now so I need to report that I did zero today. I'm looking forward to logging in and recording everyday so I can stay accountable! I need to get ready for another Maniac or a Mudder 🤞

Welcome!
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Hi, everyone! I would love to join this challenge. I'm starting over (again) so I will set a goal of 50mi for March. I'm just finding this now so I need to report that I did zero today. I'm looking forward to logging in and recording everyday so I can stay accountable! I need to get ready for another Maniac or a Mudder 🤞

Welcome!
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Training plan today called for rest, but since I have not been consistent on my cross training goals I did an easy walk aerobics video for 15 minutes while dinner was cooking so I could work in some lateral movement. Other than that today was a lazy day. Hopefully tomorrow’s weather will be agreeable for my planned 3 mile run. I also really need more focus on my food this week. I’ve been maintaining the past few months but I’m feeling it’s time to focus on the last few pounds left to lose.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Recovery flip flops or barefoot? As you might guess, the running store strongly recommends recovery flip flops or slides over flat sandals (in spring and summer i wear flip flops and sandals).

On the other hand, I’ve read that it’s much more beneficial to the runner to be barefoot as much as possible...

Yay or nay?

Okay, this is a new one for me. "Recovery flip flops"? I do not understand this concept. I just wear my regular footwear, or when home, just socks.
    9q47xtazrcth.jpg
    I have this awesome pair of Salomon recovery sandals that I basically got for free with a coupon once, and I really do love them... but honestly I feel like barefoot is better. Something about the way my feet kinda spread out when not constricted by a shoe. I think I've heard there's research to back that up, but I don't remember which podcast I heard that on.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,956 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    @PastorVincent I don't think you're week was so bad. At least you got your long runs in. I don't think missing what you did is going to affect you in the long run. But, then again, I'm not a coach and have no idea what I'm talking about. So, there's that. :lol:

Welcome @MzCongeniality70 !
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Recovery flip flops or barefoot? As you might guess, the running store strongly recommends recovery flip flops or slides over flat sandals (in spring and summer i wear flip flops and sandals).

On the other hand, I’ve read that it’s much more beneficial to the runner to be barefoot as much as possible...

Yay or nay?

Okay, this is a new one for me. "Recovery flip flops"? I do not understand this concept. I just wear my regular footwear, or when home, just socks.
    9q47xtazrcth.jpg
    I have this awesome pair of Salomon recovery sandals that I basically got for free with a coupon once, and I really do love them... but honestly I feel like barefoot is better. Something about the way my feet kinda spread out when not constricted by a shoe. I think I've heard there's research to back that up, but I don't remember which podcast I heard that on.

That sounds familiar. I think I've also heard/read that doctors say if you have to wear sandals wear something with support because flip flops are the worse thing you can wear.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo
    thanks....I hope so too. I think I have purposely avoided it because I fear they will tell me to take a month off and ice and stretch, yada yada. I'm being a brat but deep down I know its probably what I need ;)

@rheddmobile
    I fully agree with your goals....It made me think that maybe I run more days of the week and just stick to shorter runs...I just love being outside. Spring running here is glorious. And some years, Spring lasts about 3 days. B)

Welcome @MzCongeniality70
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 Very, very nice...what a tribute!!! Sweet picture, you are beautiful!