March 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    @7lenny7 @PastorVincent @autumnblade75 @Camaramandy648 Thanks for your opinions. I'm a little surprised, happily though. 75% trail, 25% road preference. Well I signed up for a trail Marathon days ago, no idea what I'm getting myself into but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless. I bought nice trail running shoes.

You will likely find that running trails is HARDER than running street, but recovery is faster and easier from trail running. Trail running seems to be gentler on your body in general.

Thank you! I know you also said to add 2-3 minutes on per mile (if I remember correctly).
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I'm going to set my goal at 40 miles for March. I think I'm going to join a RunBet to keep myself accountable. I don't like wasting money so that'll push me to run more, lol.
    Slowly working my way up there. I don't think I'll ever make it to a full marathon (I work far too much to make time for the training, I don't know how you all do it) but I would like to be able to run a half marathon by next spring.

I have one week left in my most recent Runbet. I find them really helpful in keeping me accountable but am careful to choose games that are below my planned mileage/time commitment. The one I am currently doing is 30 minutes 4 times per week.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Hi! I’m joining, longtime lurker.

I’m running my first half marathon in 2 years at the end of March so my goal is just to keep up with my training schedule (a modified Hal Higdon novice 2), avoid injury, and finish strong at my race on the 28th 😀

Welcome!
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    e_spriya wrote: »
    I am in. A complete newbie to running. Going to follow c25k program. I always get shin splints everytime I try to run. How can I avoid it? Also i am flat footed. Will i need something supportive for the foot while running?

Welcome! C25k is a great program. As others have mentioned, being fitted at a running store for shoes can be very helpful. Also, don’t worry about running fast. Keep your pace very slow. You can work on your pace later after you’ve been running consistently for a few months. Too much too soon is the easiest way to get injured. Some of us learned this lesson the hard way...
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    cjmray wrote: »
    New here! I'm going to start with a goal of 40 & work up from there in future months. I've never tracked my miles per month before, so this should be enlightening!

Welcome! The nice thing about this group is you can always change your goals! We are here to cheer you in!
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    After slogging my way through the New Orleans marathon at the beginning of February, I’ve been working (mostly resting) my way back from overtraining (wherein among a multitude of other things, my RHR which is normally 55-60, peaked at 84. Now down to about 70. Yikes.).

I am scheduled to run the Canyonlands half on 3/14. We’ll see. I may try a little jog today to see how it feels.

I don’t currently have a mileage (or anything) goal nor do I think it’s prudent to set one, but among the OTS issues I’m battling is a loss of mojo/interest. I’m hoping that being part of an active running community will help my running love return.

Welcome! I’m glad you joined in!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,956 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo What's a bike bump track?
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    Has anyone on here ever ran the Tear Drop Half in Chatsworth, GA? I'm thinking about signing up for the 10K and was just wondering if you would recommend it or not.

Ive never heard of it so I looked at the website. Sounds nice and scenic. I have to warn you about the downhill races though. They will tear your quads up! I’ve run The Scream in Jonas Ridge NC a couple of times and both times my quads were so sore for the entire week afterward! (Hence the race name!).
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Trail vs road: I like both, but trail is probably more fun for me. When I hit the 42.2 km mark in my trail 50k, I realized I had DOUBLED my average road marathon time.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    halllar wrote: »
    Brand new here and looking for accountability and friendship to get me back on track. I will try for 40 in March. I have a long history of running but due to "Life" my last few years have been almost nothing. I am hoping to change that this year.
    Thank you

Welcome!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,956 Member
    Options
    Welcome @hallar! This is a very supportive group.

@Avidkeo Thanks! After I thought about it, I figured it was something like that, but my initial thoughts were something like bumper cars and I wasn't sure how that would work with bikes. :lol:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Welcome @hallar! This is a very supportive group.

@Avidkeo Thanks! After I thought about it, I figured it was something like that, but my initial thoughts were something like bumper cars and I wasn't sure how that would work with bikes. :lol:

I dunno how bumper bikes might work, but my son would try it for sure! :)