• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,336 Member
    Options
    @Duck_Puddle thank you!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    dcresider wrote: »
    Can I join? I have a half marathon scheduled at the end of the month. Hip joints have been achy lately:

3/1: 10.28 mile run
    3/2: 6.00 mile bike ride
    3/3: 5.21 mile hilly run

Of course you can!!!!
    Many of us are hip to the achy hips.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 - Happy Birthday! It is definitely good to celebrate yourself and so so special that Madison took it upon herself to make sure you have a special day! Like someone else mentioned, that has to be the best present ever!
    @Teresa502 - thanks for asking about Hobbes. I am haven't taken him in to get checked yet but there is definitely something going on. He has moments where he seems fine and others where we can tell something is wrong. He was cold again at agility class last night and it was warm, but even with not feeling 100% (he wanted to just lean on me the entire time we weren't running) he ran so fast that I couldn't get ahead of him to provide directions on the course.
    @mandabeth34 - How old is your pup? I got Hobbes the Vizsla (also very high energy) to be my running partner as well. Not sure what I will do when he gets older and can't run with me any longer, my runs won't be nearly as fun and will be so lonely!
    @mbaker566 - so glad your back is better! Speed Demon always looks just so happy!
    @dreamer12151 - I am so sorry about your Emma! They definitely do become part of our families and a hold huge place in our hearts. I hope the rest of your 2020 gets better!
    Welcome @dcresider!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    Can I join? I have a half marathon scheduled at the end of the month. Hip joints have been achy lately:

3/1: 10.28 mile run
    3/2: 6.00 mile bike ride
    3/3: 5.21 mile hilly run

Of course you can!!!!
    Many of us are hip to the achy hips.

It's my knees today... But that's because I'm wearing 10lb of lead in an operating room...
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent - The only reason why I run that far is because I'm training for a race. :smile: Otherwise, are you crazy to run that far for the fun of it?
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    Half marathons are tough enough and that's the furthest I've ever rain. I can't even fathom doing a full marathon because my time is to precious to train for it. :) Good luck to those who can though. (I once said I'd never run a half so you never know ;)

Be very careful.
    I once said "OMG A WHOLE 5K? THAT IS SOOOOO FAR!"
    Then I said "A 10-mile race is the limit of insanity. I mean why run farther?"
    Then I was "If I can just do a marathon..."
    Then I was like "Well, a 50k is only a little farther..."

Some day I need to run an official 1/2 marathon race though. :D

this is the truth!

I was vehement that I was never doing a full. I didn’t have the time to train. It’s too much commitment to run as a second job for 6 months. Half’s are plenty-long enough to be long but not life consuming. I’m too slow so I really takes too much time. On and on and on. For years.

I just finished my second full and I already know I’m lying that I’m never doing another one. My next long race target is a 50k. Cause If I’m not doing another full, I’m surely ok to do something longer. *eyeroll at self emoji*

Awesomeness! And best of luck to you (genuinely)! I love it! Besides my father-in-law I've never known anyone who's done 50K's and doubles and I'll probably never do one myself but I'm still in awe of those that make the push...
  • username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Faebert wrote: »
    Hi all, not sure if anyone remembers me but I was in the monthly running challenge forums last year before ‘leaving’ in Dec to have a preventative double mastectomy (some pretty awful family history made it a no brainer).

It has not been the easiest road to recovery and I have felt pretty down at times thinking I will never get fit again. But it’s now 12 weeks since surgery and docs said wait 10-12 weeks. I cautiously ran a tiny bit from 10 weeks onwards and I’m slowly getting there! Managed 17.8 miles in February (plus more I didn’t track on indoor treadmill) and I’m able to run 6k in one go without stopping now - probably more but I’m desperate not to injure myself when I’ve barely begun. Trying to remind myself not to compare my running to pre-surgery, but instead think about how far I’ve come since surgery, when I could barely walk...

So I’m in for a tentative goal 36 miles for the month.

Glad to be back. 👋 X

March goal: 36 miles
    March total: 3.3 miles

2/3: 3.3 miles

February total: 17.8m
    January total: 0m

Am sure everyone remembers and is glad you're back. I think you did race for the kids in London last year? I went to watch my youngest run, whilst avoiding running myself.
  • username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    As I was out of tissues after 1.5 miles it turned into a pleasant 3 mile brisk walk involving a stop at Tesco...

@TheMrWobbly well you know what they say. Every little helps.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    @dreamer12151
    Wow....2020 can only get better! Sorry to hear about your fur baby. We put one down last fall and it was difficult.

@LoveyChar
    That race looks fun! Where do they hold it?

@shanaber
    In TX, we have Taco Tuesday. Im really good at Taco Tuesday! But then I need to add some Tabatas to counter the effects of Tacos. 😂
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    Guess I went full crazy full speed. First chip I ever wore was for a full Marathon. I've done 5K's before but it was only to kick off the school year, not something I would do if I wasn't with coworkers. Never thought of 5K or 10K as long distance before. First 10K is this month 3 miles from my house (where I ran for training) and it was cheap. Half Marathon was my first choice because I didn't think I could run a Full but I'm glad I did, glad husband pushed me. Now if I have to drive a distance to get there, I want the Full experience and not to come home feeling like I cheated myself.

I do almost exclusively travel races. I enjoy the experience, the scenery, etc. I’ve settled on a half as a good distance because you can kind of wing-it (sort of) it something doesn’t go quite right in training, it’s long enough to feel like an accomplishment and you get to see a lot of the beauty of wherever you’re running, and it doesn’t take so much out of you that you can’t continue to enjoy traipsing around wherever you are.

Last October I ran the Arches half in Moab, Utah. It was the most beautiful place I have ever run. But you’re running along in this canyon, next to the Colorado River; and somewhere about mile 6 or 7( you turn a corner and the whole thing opens up to this incredible expanse framed by red rocks. It was kind of indescribable (if you’re into nature and stuff). They also have a 10k. They don’t get to have that though because they start after that point.

And then I traipsed around Moab hiking and rappelling and pretending like I was some sort of outdoor adventurer for another week. I don’t think I could have done as much after a full.

I’m supposed to run Canyonlands next weekend (it’s a different 13 miles on the same road as the Arches half). I hope I’m recovered enough to do it. It is such an incredibly beautiful place.

But in general-I’m feeling like the flagship event distance is the one I try to aim for. Like the RnR Las Vegas-the half is the event. For the full-they have you running around traffic cones in random parking lots just to hit the distance. That’s no fun. But others-the full is the deal.

All big talk from someone who commented not even 5 minutes ago that I’m never doing another full. Liar, liar my pants are on fire.

You definitely could wing a Half, at least the one I ran through. I told my husband you could tell the difference by the people walking it and it was so annoying because it was a cluster... I'm slow too but it's annoying to weave through walkers. At least after the HM people cleared out, it wasn't a cluster anymore and you could navigate nicely through the race at whatever speed. I do want to run a Half with my daughter but if she has to walk, I'll wait for her at the finish or come back through for her. I'm mean but I guess I'm teaching her to run her best.

The outdoors anything sounds nice as long as there's no heights involved (no rappelling). I have to look up some things, like "what is a flagship event distance." I want to visit Colorado one day (brother-in-law lives there) and Utah for the ski/jacuzzi springs underneath. I hope you recover quickly!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Guess I went full crazy full speed. First chip I ever wore was for a full Marathon. I've done 5K's before but it was only to kick off the school year, not something I would do if I wasn't with coworkers. Never thought of 5K or 10K as long distance before. First 10K is this month 3 miles from my house (where I ran for training) and it was cheap. Half Marathon was my first choice because I didn't think I could run a Full but I'm glad I did, glad husband pushed me. Now if I have to drive a distance to get there, I want the Full experience and not to come home feeling like I cheated myself.

I do almost exclusively travel races. I enjoy the experience, the scenery, etc. I’ve settled on a half as a good distance because you can kind of wing-it (sort of) it something doesn’t go quite right in training, it’s long enough to feel like an accomplishment and you get to see a lot of the beauty of wherever you’re running, and it doesn’t take so much out of you that you can’t continue to enjoy traipsing around wherever you are.

Last October I ran the Arches half in Moab, Utah. It was the most beautiful place I have ever run. But you’re running along in this canyon, next to the Colorado River; and somewhere about mile 6 or 7( you turn a corner and the whole thing opens up to this incredible expanse framed by red rocks. It was kind of indescribable (if you’re into nature and stuff). They also have a 10k. They don’t get to have that though because they start after that point.

And then I traipsed around Moab hiking and rappelling and pretending like I was some sort of outdoor adventurer for another week. I don’t think I could have done as much after a full.

I’m supposed to run Canyonlands next weekend (it’s a different 13 miles on the same road as the Arches half). I hope I’m recovered enough to do it. It is such an incredibly beautiful place.

But in general-I’m feeling like the flagship event distance is the one I try to aim for. Like the RnR Las Vegas-the half is the event. For the full-they have you running around traffic cones in random parking lots just to hit the distance. That’s no fun. But others-the full is the deal.

All big talk from someone who commented not even 5 minutes ago that I’m never doing another full. Liar, liar my pants are on fire.

You definitely could wing a Half, at least the one I ran through. I told my husband you could tell the difference by the people walking it and it was so annoying because it was a cluster... I'm slow too but it's annoying to weave through walkers. At least after the HM people cleared out, it wasn't a cluster anymore and you could navigate nicely through the race at whatever speed. I do want to run a Half with my daughter but if she has to walk, I'll wait for her at the finish or come back through for her. I'm mean but I guess I'm teaching her to run her best.

The outdoors anything sounds nice as long as there's no heights involved (no rappelling). I have to look up some things, like "what is a flagship event distance." I want to visit Colorado one day (brother-in-law lives there) and Utah for the ski/jacuzzi springs underneath. I hope you recover quickly!

“flagship” as in that’s the “big” event. Like a lot of races have multiple distances but often times (but not always) one is really the “big” event or the main event (and most people run that distance). It’s not always the longest distance.