March 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,336 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    What about using stairs to build up quads? Up, down, up, down. I'm not talking about as a substitute to actually running hills, but in addition to. And I'm taking about a full, hot, heavy, intense stair workout.
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary Sounds like a great way to spend the morning and nice job even if you don't necessarily like your time!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    What about using stairs to build up quads? Up, down, up, down. I'm not talking about as a substitute to actually running hills, but in addition to. And I'm taking about a full, hot, heavy, intense stair workout.

Yes, anything that makes you stronger... makes you stronger. :) I take that as an axiom.

The "Law of Specificity" applies of course - that is if you specifically want to get better at hills you need to specifically do hills. The farther you get from that, the less effective the training.

Things like treadmills on an incline (or the ones that can also do a decline), stair machines, leg lifts and so on can support hill running, and help you, but in general, nothing makes you better at doing a thing like doing that thing does. :)

So, do not be afraid of doing supporting exercises (you can make an argument it is a good idea even), but ALSO do hills if you really want to get good at hills. Also if you do not have many hills around you, things like stairs (running up and down them) are a good option. If you have a stadium or bleachers in your area, they work well.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

Absolutely! The more flights the better. Excellent way to build up the quads, particularly going down the stairs for the eccentric contractions. I use the stairs at work for this.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

Absolutely! The more flights the better. Excellent way to build up the quads, particularly going down the stairs for the eccentric contractions. I use the stairs at work for this.

Hmmm... it hadn't dawned on me until I read this that I am having a lot more quad issues (tightness and DOMS after squats and tougher runs) since we had squatters move in downstairs, which made me start using the lift instead of the stairs so I don't have to walk past their front door.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,065 Member
    Options
    Glad the run went well @emmamcgarity ! Do you have a HM in mind, or just want to get back up to running that distance?
  • SassyBelle070707
    SassyBelle070707 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 I felt the same. Not really motivated today! But those are the best days 😁 so glad we both chose to stick to it.
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    @polskagirl01 Very nice! And congratulations to your son ❤️!
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    @quilteryoyo You work two jobs, play tennis, travel and run! Maybe it's just that, probably, and hopefully you're not getting sick. Take a breather...good movies and throw your kicks up.

@7lenny7 There was a man who ran the entire Austin Marathon with his dog. Couldn't believe it, mid to high 70's but the dog showed no signs of struggle. Husband asked me how he got away with it and I told him there were thousands of people packed together and dog would be easy to slip in there and I doubt any or many questioned him about pooch. I don't think it's typically very humane to do it, though, for that long because dog can't tell you he's not feeling well until he drops or staggers. But it happened and I would be willing to bet dog and man finished.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Congrats on both your result and your son's @polskagirl01

Looking forward to your HM @SassyBelle070707
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,065 Member
    Options
    Thanks @LoveyChar . I'm hoping I'll have more energy tomorrow. I did take it fairly easy today.