WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2020

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Terri - How did our children get so old? :D<3 CONGRATULATIONS to your daughter.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    Heather DH’s DD and DSIL were there as well. I don’t think we would have survived without them! We put on over 6 miles walking. I hope you are able to go on your cruises and the virus doesn’t affect your travel plans. I know that here they are offering all sorts of waivers for people that change their plans.

<3

Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :) We have changed all our clocks that can be changed manually except the car which is a challenge. Jake says he'll get out the manual tomorrow and look for directions on how to change the clock. We'll be headed to bed on DST.

<3Katla, sorry about your tough day. It looks like you learned some good stuff about your insurance company, the 911 people in your town, and how alcohol isn't a good choice for you.

81824br5uyrfrsr.gif Barbie in NW WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    stat for the day:

Zwift bike trainer- 60min, 159mhr, 143ahr, 82aw, 14.4amph, 14.43mi= 650c
    Apple Watch- 661c
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    evie1958 wrote: »
    Coronavirus, while there are some confirmed cases in Canada, I don't think that every province has been hit, not yet anyway. I also feel that we do need to keep it in perspective and that more deaths are caused by "regular" flu every year. I always have enough stuff, foodwise, to last a few weeks. We would get low on milk, but I figure if I could get someone to go buy it and just leave it on our doorstep to collect it would be fine. And if this flu is anything like any other flu I've ever had, I didn't feel much like eating anyway, and for water all I need to do is turn on the tap. We don't spend a lot of time with large amounts of people either, so that should minimize our exposure. And as hubby pointed out last night, as I was reading the blurb in the paper talking about steps to take and whose most vulnerable, we are both in pretty good health. We both had the flu last year and only felt really crappy for a few days, and there was no question of "should we go out and do this?", we both were pretty firmly entrenched in the house. Not a happy few days, and nothing that I'm eager to repeat, but we did survive just fine.

Canadian Government Advice ... good for this flu ... good for all flus and colds.
    https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/being-prepared.html

Only 3 Canadian provinces have incidents:
    https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html

Australian Government Advice ... good for this flu ... good for all flus and colds.
    https://www.health.gov.au/health-topics/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov

All 6 Australian states have incidents:
    https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert

And I figure we'll handle it much like how you have mentioned. :)

Regarding milk - we have long-life milk here so I ordered 6 instead of 3 in our last delivery. When I place the next order, I'll order another 6 instead of 3. I should probably order some chicken-noodle cup-a-soup because that's all I feel like eating when I've been sick in the past.

Speaking of delivery... when my husband came out of the hospital, I started ordering my groceries online and having them delivered. So much easier!! I figure that if we are sick, we could get the guy to drop them at the end of the path and we'll pick them up.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    I turned 76 yesterday and have been gradually gaining weight over the years. If I don't get ahold of it, I won't be able to fit into my Summer clothes and my Spring ones are pretty tight! I've heard about this site and thought I'd give it a try. Support from some other people age 70+ who have actually lost weight with this would be very helpful. I'm not sure it's possible but I know I need to believe I can do it.

Happy Birthday!
  • Machka9
    edited March 2020
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Just think, if everyone spent more time outside, how much healthier (or at the very least) less sick everyone would be!

This is just what I have been doing. The weather this week has been much milder and we have had lots of sunshine. Our clocks go forward in a couple of weeks time. But in the meantime I'm enjoying the extra daylight hours.

Also, I have been working on a better sleep routine to improve health, and making sure I get exercise and good nutrition routines in place.

☘️ Terri

All very important. :)

I've looked at different "Wellness Wheels" and I think I like this the best of what I've seen. It addresses some of the things you've mentioned. :)

y9s6mfd138i6.png

And it's more or less where my goals come from ...
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Educational Goals -- Uni! I would like to finish my Master's degree in 2020.
    ** I have finished my summer course (but still awaiting my mark). I have started two courses this first semester. One is in person and the other is online. I haven't done 2 courses at once during this Master's degree so we'll see how it goes. **

Family/Medical Goals -- Husband -- Never-ending stream of medical appointments + projects with 2 or 3 different organisations. And me! A goal is to get me into healthy shape again!
    ** March is shaping up to be "medical month" ... just got to get through it all one day at a time. And March is the 2nd anniversary of the accident that changed our lives. **

Fitness Goals -- Exercise, Eating, Sleeping -- Working up to running 5 km at least a couple times a month. Working up to cycling 50 km at least once a month.
    ** I was hoping to run a 5K in Feb, but that didn't happen. I have, however, joined a "Run Strong" program to learn to run with better technique. And I'm climbing a multitude of stairs. Hoping to get another 500 in March. I've also got one or two cycling events to organise this month. **

Career Goals -- One of the main things my area is planning to work on is streamlining the processes a bit. Meanwhile I need to learn a lot more SQL and as much about what 2 different people I work/worked with did. I'm also on the board of two organisations now. Both interest me a lot, but I'm also hoping that taking on leadership roles might help advance my career a little.
    ** March is a big month at work with at least 3 significant submissions. I've spent the end of Feb trying to get older submissions tidied up and resubmitted if necessary, and I've made a start on these 3 upcoming ones. And I've got 3 or 4 meetings with one of the organisations I'm on the board of. **

Organisation/Financial Goals -- Getting our taxes done and other paperwork in order.

Spiritual Goals -- I'd like to start attending church a bit more regularly. I'll also include relaxation and recreation in here. Down time. I get very little of that at the moment and need more. For me that might be sleep and photography. :)

Social Goals -- Cycling Club. I've made a detailed list of what I need to do, which helps.
    -- My Personal Website -- I have started working on this: machka . net This has a social aspect in that we go to Wordpress meetings now and then.

Machka in Oz

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited March 2020
    Options
    On washing hands ...

Why Hand-Washing Really Is as Important as Doctors Say
    Washing your hands decreases the number of microbes on your hands and helps prevent the spread of infectious diseases.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2020/03/03/why-hand-washing-really-is-as-important-as-doctors-say/

And washing hands while singing Happy Birthday twice is a L-O-N-G time! I just tried it and apparently I'll have to double the amount of time I spend lathering up!

This article is also interesting ... about the history of hand washing in medical circles ...
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/2020/03/handwashing-once-controversial-medical-advice/

M in Oz
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Rebecca Look how long Athena has gotten! Such a sweet picture.

She's exploded!💖
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    Ppppp
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Amber – thank you for the link, but I really prefer not to use artificial sweeteners, mainly because I don’t have any in the house and can’t see buying it just for one time. If worse comes to worse, I can always delete a dessert

SuziQ – thanks for that great recipe. Maybe I’ll add even more veges, like mushrooms

Karen VA – the only two days someone isn’t signed up to bring them something is two Fridays. I may have to do a Friday in the morning take it to them because I need to be at the soup kitchen at 11 Update: someone signed up for one of the Fridays.

Think I’ll watch a little TV. So many shows were recorded while I was in FL

Michele NC
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    In the middle of virus epicenter here. The nursing home where they have had 13 deaths including the first in US is just a couple of miles from where my son lives. They have been closing schools and we do not have church tomorrow morning. Glad DD and I live out in the country. We will keep doing what we do and keep safe as possible.

Everyone take care Sue in WA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michele, most diabetics avoid sugar except to treat a low blood sugar episode. I would suggest a meat or veggie tray. Peanuts are a favorite of my diabetic DH. Cheese is also a great choice.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: invest 10 mins cleaning Office, carry over 10 mins cleaning Master & Guest Bds
    Bonus: additional 16 minutes dusting.
    Get to do: church, McKay’s, invest 10 mins cleaning Kitchen/Laundry, board meeting minutes, new beer release party, bake something for Joe, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, follow up with Doug for iCloud for Win10. Reward: inventory seeds, plan garden, order replenishments.

Too blustery for either pack walk or burn barrel. Caught up on carry over cleaning before succumbing to 50’s noir SF movie and wine with Joe. Alas for that 3rd glass of wine which led to the B&J pint slice and took me way over CICO.

Katla May this week be boring, with only fun for excitement.
    Michele would the Lutheran Ladies’ Grief Casserole work?
    Prep a box of Stovetop Stuffing according to directions. Butter a Pyrex baking dish. Scatter cooked chicken on the bottom. Spread a can of cream of mushroom soup over chicken. Cover with sliced Swiss cheese. Spread a can of cream of chicken soup over cheese. Dot with clumps of stuffing. Bake at 325 30 mins. Salty, easy for tight throats to swallow, still good re-heated.
    Welcome @korlandi1 to this chatty, supportive, wise compassionate group. You are no longer alone on this journey.
    Welcome @Caledonia44-Belated Happy Birthday!
    Rebecca “Same can be for how you look at yourself. I am eating like a slim, self aware, confident woman! I walk and talk like I have completed my journey and my brain is happy about that.👍. (Actually it doesn't know the difference, and its physically connecting neuro pathways to make it happen).” Bravissima!
    Oh Sue in WA, do take care!

Still no cases in Curry County so plan on going to Church, grocery store and New Beer Release party tomorrow. It seems easier to keep within CI<CO when I’m out and about than when I’m cabin bound. Gonna have to develop some coping strategies if we self-quarantine.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    February: better than January.
    daily: steps=2143 :tongue: vits=6 log=7 CI<CO=4 CI<250<CO=3 Tumble & Shadow 5=3 mfp=5 clean 10 mins=7 outside=3 up hill=2
    wkly: BB&B x3=3, rx=1 dance=2 pack walk=1
    mnthly: board mtg=0 grant= review 20for20=0
    bonus: AF=4 play=2 sew=0
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Barbara C'mon, now. What flavor was the Ben & Jerry's pint slice?
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,104 Member
    Options
    Terri - How did our children get so old? :D<3 CONGRATULATIONS to your daughter.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I was a child bride 😂 she’s my youngest. The elder girl is 54 this year.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Irish Terri Both of your girls are old enough to join us. :)