Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your thoughts on Keto?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,718 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I don't know why people pretend like processed foods can't be high fat and eaten by those on keto. Plenty are. Among other things, there's a whole Atkins line of processed products.

In general, some of the dichotomous conceptual scales we see here sometimes seem odd to me. There's not some scale with "keto" on one end and "processed" on the opposite, in this case, as you point out. There are many processed keto food products these days, and quite unprocessed foods that are not very keto-friendly at all (dried beans come to mind, or whole grains).

IIRC, I saw some thread recently that set paleo up against processed, which is maybe a little more comprehensible, but marketers' use of the terminology doesn't seem to jibe. Vegan vs. processed is another we sometimes see here, or variations on IIFYM vs. "clean" or "unprocessed".
  • ozonezoe
    ozonezoe Posts: 9 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    ozonezoe wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    On a personal level it's utterly unappealing.

How about you OP? What are your views and experiences?

The nutritionist also recommend eliminating many other foods (elimination diet) from my diet like dairy, nightshades, gluten, processed foods, hydrogenated oils, so I ate a lot of whole, clean foods.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT
    You would never really know how it will truly affect your body until you actually give it a try!

Food for thought could also be that maybe it was something in the foods you eliminated or added that improved your digestive problems rather than keto. With multiple dietary changes there's every chance some of those changes were beneficial and some had no impact whatsoever.
    it."

Exactly! I thought keto helped with somethings but I thought the elimination diet helped too (What i mentioned in my original response)I know eliminating dairy and gluten helped with better digestion.

And You do you! I’m not forcing someone to do keto or eliminate foods, it’s just something that helped me and i like to share my story and personal experience with those two types of diets if asked! I love hearing people’s thoughts on this topic!
    In general,I like to try new things to gain more knowledge about myself and about the world around me! I love to have a growth mindset instead of a fixed one! (Not saying you don’t but this is my personal outlook for myself and my journey in life). Thank you for sharing your thoughts on it!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    20-50 grams of carbohydrates per day would be way too restrictive for me. I'm omnivorous, but my diet consists of lots of plants as well, including beans, lentils, oats and other whole grains, starchy root vegetables, etc. I would go insane on keto. Beyond that, I don't find 70+% of my diet coming in the form of dietary fat very appealing either. That's a lot of friggin' fat...

I did, almost literally, go instant on keto. Not fitting my food preferences and being hungry all the time on low volume was one thing, but when it started messing with my brain the experiment had to stop. I became deeply depressed and a danger to myself. That went away as soon as I re-introduced carbs back. My second attempt a couple of years later had to be cut short for the same reason.

I found breaking my carb addiction messed with my brain as well making for a hellish two weeks to break my carb addition. I agree one should never try breaking any addiction without professional medical help should depression develop.

Over time it seems keto perhaps did shift my gut microbiome in a more balanced direction after the first couple weeks of hellish times but my mental fog started to lift bit by bit when perhaps my brain chemicals got in better balance.

https://nature.com/articles/d41586-019-00483-5
    04 FEBRUARY 2019
    Links between gut microbes and depression strengthened
    The once-wild idea that intestinal bacteria influence mental health has transformed into a major research pursuit.

Keep in mind Keto is NOT for weight loss but for physical and mental health improvements that then may enable healthy weight loss to happen without trying to lose weight.

Moving from mainly glucose for brain food to ketones for brain food can/will cause a shock to the body and mind.

Understanding what keto may do and how it may help improve the human body and mind needs to happen first. Obesity does not stem from not knowing how to count but underlying health factors.

When on a hunch I cold turkey cut out food and drink that contained any type of sweeteners and or any form of any grain in Oct 2014 hoping for pain management about all I knew about Keto was how to spell it. It was a few years later when I came to understand more about ketones and their many different positive side effects.

When I lost 50 pounds accidentally after cutting out all forms of sweeteners and or all forms of grain I knew there was more going on than just ketones.

I do not recommend a high carb or low carb diet because only a n=1 study will answer that question for each one of us.

I do recommend to learn how ketones can impact heart muscle and brain cells. If articles get off on ketones for weight loss move to the next link in your search. You want to learn how ketones for food is different than glucose for food.

Remember Keto is NOT for weigh loss. Any weight loss is just a side effect of eating Keto. Start to understand what is different about burning ketones vs glucose for energy BEFORE you try out ketones for your main source of energy. There is NOTHING magic about ketones and understanding ketones is not rocket science.

Never forget KETO is NOT for weight gain or weight loss because each may happen with a Keto Way Of Eating.

https://nature.com/articles/d41586-019-00483-5
    04 FEBRUARY 2019
    Links between gut microbes and depression strengthened
    The once-wild idea that intestinal bacteria influence mental health has transformed into a major research pursuit.

• amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,854 Member
    I have no idea how anyone could eat that way long term. A whole food group...gone! also..it would require careful management and could be horrendous for cardiovascular health if you live on bacon, butter and cheese. Every health authority says saturated fat is a risk factor for CVD. Plus, a life without bread...what a nightmare.
  • GaleHawkins
    edited March 2020
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    @GaleHawkins there is no such thing as "carb addiction", and I find it kind of insulting to anyone that has ever battled an addiction to imply there is. Keto is limiting but not completely eliminating all carbs. If a person were truly addicted, then breaking that addiction would require abstinence. An alcoholic wouldn't limit their alcohol intake to two beers a day, because that's not how addiction(or more specifically, breaking an addiction) works. Carbs can be tasty, and some people overeat them, but there absolutely needs to be a distinction between lack of willpower and addiction.

Willpower is not a medical term but addiction is. It was when a guy with AA was teaching on the subject of Denial that I realized I was addicted to carbs. After I understood my carb addiction would go away if I would eat under 50 grams of carbs per day I was able to make it through the withdrawal realizing it was not going to last forever.

I expect you do not see yourself as an enabler but when you tell someone in a Keto thread trying to regain control of some aspect of their life that carb addition is not real you become one.

I was slowly dying in front of our teenage kids because of my carb addition. They saw how I went from being meaner than a junkyard dog to working on becoming a father that was understanding and that could get in an out of the car without their help.

Carb addiction is not preached against like smoking addiction perhaps but it is never the less it is an addiction like smoking, drinking, etc.

The number one reason people fail at Keto is our carb addiction. Keto is not for weigh loss but to help resolve the health issues.

I beg you to stop making medical statements about carb addiction or any other addiction that is not factual.

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    I think it can be awesome once you get past the whole keto fat adapting phase whic sucks tbh.
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    I have no idea how anyone could eat that way long term. A whole food group...gone! also..it would require careful management and could be horrendous for cardiovascular health if you live on bacon, butter and cheese. Every health authority says saturated fat is a risk factor for CVD. Plus, a life without bread...what a nightmare.

This is exactly how I feel. I'm all for reducing the white flour & white pasta and making better carb choices but to give them up completely? Nope, not for me. I like bread, pasta, beans & legumes too much, not to mention fruit.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    The number one reason people fail at Keto is our carb addiction.

The number one reason people fail at Keto is because generally speaking Keto is too extreme...

yes same reason most over restrictive diets fail.

They work for people who must follow them for medical reasons (that goes for restrictions of diabetes,coleiac disease ,PKU etc - not keto in particular) because the benifits outweigh the disadvantages of restriction.

But for most other people ,they do not.

But, no, people are not addicted to carbs - what silly misused hyperbole - and I agree with posters saying such misuse, as well as being misleading, is insulting to people struggling with real addictions.

• GaleHawkins
    J72FIT wrote: »
    The number one reason people fail at Keto is our carb addiction.

The number one reason people fail at Keto is because generally speaking Keto is too extreme...

Since I can eat what I want on Keto why do you call it extreme?