Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your thoughts on Keto?

Replies

• thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    I haven't tried because I know I'd be miserable . I love my food 🤷‍♀️. But if it works for you that's great
  • foolforcarbos
    foolforcarbos Posts: 70 Member
    lemurcat2, I never said whole foods do not have carbs. But the discussion was not just Keto understanding, but in my post, obesity. Yes, there are whole carbohydrates found in natural foods, and refined carbohydrates. Yes, apples and roasted potatoes are whole foods, and thus have whole carbohydrates. But most people are buying things with a label, and were taught to purchase low fat items. Almost everything that has a label, not all, but most, have refined carbohydrates. The natural fiber has been taken out and replaced with a host of things that most people can't pronounce. Hence the label. Apples and potatoes don't really come with a label, do they?

There were, last I checked, just over 60 ways for a company to list sugar as an ingredient. There is probably over 20 ways to list MSG. Saying carbs=processed food is silly may make you feel better, but that's simply not the truth. Unless you shop along the walls of a typical grocery store, almost all the food down the aisles has been processed. And so, too, have all the carbs. Most comes in packages, with long shelf lifes, and expiration dates. Most has been stripped of nutrients and fiber and has a host of additives.

Saying Keto=no processed food is silly, as well, may make you feel better but that's one of the keys to Keto, reading labels. Avoiding processed foods. Avoiding certain ingredients. Some go as far as not consuming an item because there may have been an animal feed corn to produce the raw product that was used to prepare the item one is looking to purchase, and thus they conclude that that corn had GMOs and thus, one should avoid that food. Or that the item has corn syrups and thus, there were GMOs in the corn. Which is just sugar. There are some who are very strict about their Keto.

Saying carbs are not addictive, takes out the whole discussion of excitotoxins. But that's probably too much for one response for you. Cheers. Enjoy what you eat. :)
  • CaptAwesome77
    CaptAwesome77 Posts: 84 Member
    It’s basically the same as South Beach diet, which was in turn basically the same as the Atkins diet, which was likely a rehash of some other low/no carb diet before it.

It works for quick weight loss as long as you follow it, but in my opinion isn’t sustainable. I lost 30 lbs many years ago using the Atkins diet, but still vividly remember eating eggs so often I hated them. Eating hot dogs for breakfast. Scraping the cheese off a slice of pizza and eating it. As soon as I relaxed the diet a bit, the weight came back, slowly but surely.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    It’s basically the same as South Beach diet, which was in turn basically the same as the Atkins diet, which was likely a rehash of some other low/no carb diet before it.

It works for quick weight loss as long as you follow it, but in my opinion isn’t sustainable. I lost 30 lbs many years ago using the Atkins diet, but still vividly remember eating eggs so often I hated them. Eating hot dogs for breakfast. Scraping the cheese off a slice of pizza and eating it. As soon as I relaxed the diet a bit, the weight came back, slowly but surely.

I know South Beach has changed a lot over the years, but the initial SB diet was actually pretty different from Atkins and keto. It encouraged lower fat eating and included foods like fruit, grains, and beans (especially once you were past the initial Phase 1, which lasted about two weeks). I did South Beach for about a year and it ultimately wasn't for me, but it was the fact that it included foods like fruit and beans that made me choose it over Atkins.
  • kimmehjean8
    kimmehjean8 Posts: 2 Member
    I think it's great for some people with certain medical issues, for short term weight loss, or maybe kicking a sugar habit/addiction. However, I don't see many people able to sustain the lifestyle and they gain a lot of weight back once they stop eating keto. They seem to end up less healthy than when they started keto. So I say that keto is good for short term periods but shouldn't be something you do for an extended period.
  • Pacabrah
    Pacabrah Posts: 1 Member
    From my own experience with keto
    I learned that keto isnt good for me. Without good carbs I have an anxiety, low mood, low energy and low testosterone. I go to gym and have no power, no will, no motivation. Just a big headache.

Understand that keto is very harmful diet for the body. Every one needs some carbs. NOT sugar, but COMPLEX CARBS.

You can limit your carbs only for a short period. For example, 1-4 weeks MAX.

If you go keto for more than 1 month, you will feel gross. And your body will be destroyed soon.