Coronavirus prep

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    my dad went back to the hospital yesterday. treatment stopped working, breathing trouble started back up, had to get another nebulizer and stronger pneumonia medicine. he specifically asked the doctor to test him for covid19. doctor told him he couldn't test him because he "didn't qualify." a few minutes later after the doctor leaves a nurse comes in and says that the doctor's lying, they just don't have any test kits. this isn't some backwater clinic, this is a major university hospital we're talking about here, and they have zero way of testing for this thing even if they wanted to. i visited him last weekend after they told him he had a non-contagious infection, and about five days later, surprise! i'm feeling feverish. great healthcare system we got going here.

Sorry to hear about your dad :(
  • kshama2001
  • kshama2001
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    This is good:

"Illinois has gotten a federal waiver allowing schools that may be closed for coronavirus precautions to provide food to students outside of a group setting. The Illinois State Board of Education learned Thursday afternoon the waiver had been granted, a spokeswoman said.

In many school districts, students rely on free breakfast and lunch provided through a federal program. More than three-quarters of Chicago Public Schools students are considered economically disadvantaged, according to CPS, meaning they would have qualified for free or reduced price lunch before the meals became free to all students under a federal provision that provides the two meals for all students in locations where more than 40% qualify.

While schools can use the USDA’s summer meal programs to continue providing free meals during unexpected closures, the food legally has to be served in a group setting known as “congregate feeding.” But that would defeat the purpose of closing schools to prevent spread of the coronavirus by “social distancing.”

Only in public health emergencies does USDA have the authority to waive this requirement, and during a hearing this week, U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue said the USDA can only grant waivers on a case-by-case basis at the request of individual states. However, Perdue said the USDA will grant any request.

“If you ask we are going to say yes,” Perdue said. “We are essentially saying we just have fulfill that requirement by being asked, but the answer is yes.”

States can also request waivers of other requirements."

I've been wondering about this situation. Thanks for sharing.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited March 2020
    my dad went back to the hospital yesterday. treatment stopped working, breathing trouble started back up, had to get another nebulizer and stronger pneumonia medicine. he specifically asked the doctor to test him for covid19. doctor told him he couldn't test him because he "didn't qualify." a few minutes later after the doctor leaves a nurse comes in and says that the doctor's lying, they just don't have any test kits. this isn't some backwater clinic, this is a major university hospital we're talking about here, and they have zero way of testing for this thing even if they wanted to. i visited him last weekend after they told him he had a non-contagious infection, and about five days later, surprise! i'm feeling feverish. great healthcare system we got going here.

Sorry your dad is going through that.

But maybe it explains why Gobert was tested for flu, strep, whatever in Utah, but when they all came back negative, wasn’t tested for corona, but then was tested when he hit Oklahoma. Also hints that now, after testing the 58 basketball players, Oklahoma may not have enough tests to go around, either.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    puffbrat wrote: »
    puffbrat wrote: »
    The State of New Mexico just issued a statement prohibiting gatherings of more than 100 people.

Does that mean all the Walmart, Costco, sams, pizza huts, etc will have to close? Or limit customers?

Here is their definition: "Mass gathering" means any public or private gathering that brings together one hundred (100) or more individuals in a single room or connected space in close proximity to one another, such as an auditorium, stadium, arena, large conference room, meeting hall, theaters, or any other confined indoor or outdoor space, but does not include normal operations at airports, on other forms of transit, shopping malls, or other spaces where 100 or more individuals may be in transit. "Mass gathering" does not include family gatherings such as weddings or funerals, shelters, retail stores or grocery stores, typical office environments, businesses, courthouses, restaurants and bars, correctional and detention facilities, schools and educational institutions, hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, and other health care and congregate care facilities, and places of worship operating during "normal business hours."

So no, it's basically just targeting special events. But I wonder if that will change.

It will--logic.

I assume a lot of those exemptions will change but I don't know if that will be done at the state level, more locally, or by each business/facility individually.
  • cosmiqrecovery
    cosmiqrecovery Posts: 171 Member
    I went to brunch at a small local restaurant, here in California last Monday and yesterday, Wednesday I developed a mild-ish sore throat. This morning woke up and still had it. No fever, but feeling rather tired. I called my Doc to find out if I could be tested and then heard that for regular people like me there are no test available. Doc's office called back and said test is only available for people with severe symptoms. So I plan to stay home, rest, and drink plenty of hot tea. Easy for me to do as I'm retired. I'm in good health and exercise regularly but at 74, it's concerning.

Hubs and I are well stocked up on food and I'm trying to stay as far away from him as I can. Offered to sleep in a different bedroom for now but he wouldn't hear of it. But I'm not coughing much and hoping that if this is CV that it's a mild case.

I have a feeling that CV is much more prevalent then most people realize. So please do yourself a favor. Don't go anywhere that isn't absolutely necessary. Will try to keep you posted about my progress or lack there of.

that's so sweet about your husband. my fiance's the same way, very much an "if i die i die" mentality (which is probably easier for an almost-30-year-old to say). i hope it's just a cold or something mild for you. <3
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Hubs and I are well stocked up on food and I'm trying to stay as far away from him as I can. Offered to sleep in a different bedroom for now but he wouldn't hear of it. But I'm not coughing much and hoping that if this is CV that it's a mild case.

I have a feeling that CV is much more prevalent then most people realize. So please do yourself a favor. Don't go anywhere that isn't absolutely necessary. Will try to keep you posted about my progress or lack there of.

I absolutely agree with this, I'm very sceptical of the numbers. Here in the UK the Chief Scientific Officer was talking about this today.
    590 cases identified but the real number 'is likely to be much higher', probably between 5000 and 10 000.

The same is likely to be true everywhere else, even in places where there are tests available people with mild symptoms are probably not asking for them.

Probably best to assume it's not far away and take whatever measures you can.

• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,636 Member
    edited March 2020
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    I hope everyone that was unable to purchase toilet paper, bought extra trash bags for whatever else that they'll be wiping with.
  • DecadeDuchess
    edited March 2020
    mph323 wrote: »
    Just saw Governor Newsom is banning gatherings of more than 250 people.

My daughter and son in law live in San Francisco with my two grandkids. She texted last night they won't be visiting until things settle down because my husband and I are in a higher risk group (we'll be 70 this year). They're pulling the kids out of school ahead of inevitable closures and both are so fortunate that they can work from home.

I told my 91 year old dad the same thing, and I'm worried for his mental as well as physical health. He is very active and social, he goes to mass twice a week, the gym three times, organizes a senior bus trip twice a month and on and on. I dont know how he'll cope when he has to self isolate.

I hadn't thought about the mental and emotional health risks to people who are used to being social, as well as the actual physical risk of becoming sick. It seems to me that the stress would make some people even more vulnerable.

Does your Father've a computer, might he video chat with you and/or others?
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    San Francisco school district just closed schools for three weeks.

And standing in line at Safeway (don't judge, I'm legit out of milk. I stocked up on TP last week), I saw this gem.

wyqfrrr3r8in.jpg
  • DecadeDuchess
    I picked up supplies to learn how to make my own laundry soap and already soap bars ready to go as well as a mostly full bottle that I had from before that so I'm good on laundry soap.

But this does have me thinking of stocking up on a few things now, such as cleaning supplies and cat food before it gets here.

I do have the option from working at home if it comes to my area though it can be a little difficult if I need a print or something from the office. And I've found it to be distracting.

What does frustrate me is that my company expects us to use vacation time and didn't offer sick leave until you've been out 5 business days. I'm hoping that catching this will still be covered under our short term disability plan if I catch it but am not sick enough to be hospitalized. The company pays for the short term disability insurance but didn't give us a list of what qualifies. With the long length of time that this thing incubates and it takes to get over it, it's definitely going to stretch sick leave plans for those who are lucky enough to have them. I feel really bad for the people who don't have them or work for businesses that could be forced to close temporarily and leave their employees without an income during that period.

How long are those who have it expected to quarantine?

It seems that businesses that've to close're letting go, of their employees altogether. I believe instead that they should've insurance, to cover their income.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    Just saw Governor Newsom is banning gatherings of more than 250 people.

My daughter and son in law live in San Francisco with my two grandkids. She texted last night they won't be visiting until things settle down because my husband and I are in a higher risk group (we'll be 70 this year). They're pulling the kids out of school ahead of inevitable closures and both are so fortunate that they can work from home.

I told my 91 year old dad the same thing, and I'm worried for his mental as well as physical health. He is very active and social, he goes to mass twice a week, the gym three times, organizes a senior bus trip twice a month and on and on. I dont know how he'll cope when he has to self isolate.

I hadn't thought about the mental and emotional health risks to people who are used to being social, as well as the actual physical risk of becoming sick. It seems to me that the stress would make some people even more vulnerable.

Does your Father've a computer, might he video chat with you and/or others?

Yes, he's actually on facebook. I'm really glad I got him on board to stay in touch with the grands (and great-grands 😊).
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited March 2020
    Getting tons of emails from companies reassuring customers.
    Walgreens y Denny’s

paezl5b3l1ik.png
    v4y6n0eyyize.png
    qi5wvn7gxeyp.png
    qmvogx8188nw.png
    csjsqyenisek.png
  • kshama2001
    Getting tons of emails from companies reassuring customers.
    Walgreens y Denny’s

Yes, I think I've got an email like that from all the companies that have my email address - banks, insurance, super market, etc.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    I got one from my Daughter school she graduated years ago!
    I’m getting flooded with them from dentist offices to even some company that I think was spam so that makes sense.

Getting harder to find my purchase receipt 🧾 to family emails with it all