Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Low calorie or low carb what really works?

DMTlovesyou
DMTlovesyou Posts: 1 Member
Im so confused about what really is the best and healthiest way to eat for weight loss and health.

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Chicken or the egg... 🙄
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Oh, it's a hot new thing. We've had a few threads about it.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Some people just like to make things as difficult as possible! Apparently! 😂

I’m waiting for the ‘Plant Based Carnivore Plan’ to hit the magazine covers!

LOL
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member

Nothing but beyond burgers and soy chicken nuggets... I cringe...😩
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    CI<CO for weight/fat loss.

Variety, exercise, rest and recovery for health...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Im so confused about what really is the best and healthiest way to eat for weight loss and health.

Weight management is about calories (energy). When you consume fewer calories (less energy) than your body requires, you burn fat (stored energy) to make up for that deficiency. How you get there is up to you. Cutting carbs is one of many ways to reduce calorie intake. It also doesn't have to be "low" calories...your consumption just has to be less than you require to maintain the status quo. I lose about 1 Lb per week eating 2300-2500 calories for example...hardly "low" calorie...just lower than what I require to maintain my weight.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

(Warning: Cynic mode on.)

I think it's just another instance of the sin and retribution model of weight loss. We got fat; we are bad people; we must suffer to expiate our sins; we must eat WFPB carnivore keto on an 23:45/00:15 intermittent fasting schedule cutting out all white foods, alcohol, and anything we personally think tastes good; while hitting the gym 6 hours a day to do HIIT and the heaviest possible lifting to failure!

Lasts about 5 minutes, confirms sense of sin and failure, "fall off wagon" for a few months and eat/drink All The Things, . . . then rinse and repeat.

(/cynic).

Sigh.

For clarity: No criticism of specific food regimens intended, to the extent that people find those regimens let them eat a well-rounded balanced diet in a way that's easier and pleasant for them. Or exercise regimens that are enjoyable, and provide some semi-rational route to health and fitness. It's the "suffer to pay for sin" model I'm railing about.

It's this exactly I think. I also think there is an element of thinking that the average American diet is terrible, therefore the more different your diet is from the average, the better it is.
  • rhondafae
    rhondafae Posts: 1 Member
    While I've never posted here in all the time I've used MFP, I felt that I had to jump in, here. I started a Keto diet 10 days ago. It's easy, but expect to cook your own food, and make those WHOLE foods! Meals can be so simple...today I had a grilled center-cut pork chop and sauteed spinach. Grilled chicken wings are DIVINE and I find it easy to stay, "low carb". The one drawback is that while everything I eat now is delicious, my appetite has diminished to the point that I'm struggling to make my daily minimum. As a result, I've lost 8 lbs in ten days. My waistline has been the most dramatic change, although I typically lose weight from the top down. I do need to add that as it's springtime in southwest Mississippi, I have been working outside nearly every day, sometimes logging 19,000 steps a day. I'm probably not typical, but I feel fantastic with more energy than I know what to do with!

But to answer your question, yes, CI/CO is the trick, however a low-carb diet will cause your appetite to decrease and while you'll eat healthier, you may struggle to take in enough calories. I've added multi-vitamins and drink only water or lemon-ginger tea. The first couple of days saw a few light cravings, but those passed after the first week. Hey, I can do ANYTHING for a week!

I'd like to lose about 10 more lbs and once I accomplish that, re-introduce a few old favorites back into my diet such as a glass of wine or slice of bread. Even still, Keto will always be a part of my life, maybe a week out of every month just to make sure I don't go off the deep end.

Good luck, you!