Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    I went to YouTube, to just watch my normal stuff but along the side was drone footage, of empty cities worldwide & it makes me wonder when this' over, how empty they'll still be because of the death toll, via this.

And not just the death of people. So many small businesses aren't going to make it through this, even with stimulus/bailout money. As someone who generally shops and eats at local places, I wonder what it's going to be like without those places once this starts to turn around.

Edited for typo

Plus the permanent disability, of previously able to work survivors & people that didn't wanna retire even though they've been eligible now're choosing to, to preserve their health.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    London has not gone into lockdown yet, but cafes, restaurants, gyms, bars, theatres were told not to re-open after tonight.

Potatoes are starting to get scarce in my bit of central London. Hubby managed to find some at the Bangladeshi supermarket. At least the ethnic grocers are still well stocked.

One of the things I bought at my local meat market on Monday was potatoes (it seemed normal, stores here in general are getting back to normal although we are expecting a shelter in place order any day so BestBuy and similar stores and liquor stores have been nuts and I'm sure Costco has been).
  • Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    bearly63 wrote: »
    @Chef_Barbell I am so sorry to hear that. My son was told this morning after Cuomo's speech that his boss considers him "essential" and to keep reporting to the client's location ( An international Hotel Chain). My son is a project management consulting for a company that does a lot of large real estate construction projects.

LA is supposedly shutting down construction so I am shocked that hotels etc get to keep going as "essential". I could see infrastructure but hotels?

So he will keep going and getting exposed. I just worry that if he is one of the unlucky ones that needs medical intervention he will be *kitten*-out-of-luck as they say. And no one there to get him what he needs to be sick at home.
    Stressed for him and all the workers and healthcare employees in NYC.

Whoa now. As I understand it "essential" means these places and people will be allowed to work not that they have to work. My son is a grocery store cashier, as a front line food supply worker his work is considered essential, but he and everyone he works with is free to take leave-of-absence with a guarantee of getting his job back later. No one is, or should be, forced to work during this time if they choose not to take the risk and that includes medical personnel.
  • kperk91
    kperk91 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My local paper had an article on one of the first people to test positive for Covid-19 here in Florida. Her quarantine ended as all these new measures are being put in place. She shared a log of her experience with the virus by daily breakdown of symptoms. I've seen a few articles where people have come forward about testing positive and sharing their experience/symptoms with the virus.

It's a little weird at work for me. We are already down to just the "essential" people being at work - I believe there's a total of 15 of us in the building now - and yet the days feel like the old normal ones. Except for the anxiety, awareness of distancing, and extra sanitizing measures.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Oops, double post
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Slowfaster wrote: »
    bearly63 wrote: »
    @Chef_Barbell I am so sorry to hear that. My son was told this morning after Cuomo's speech that his boss considers him "essential" and to keep reporting to the client's location ( An international Hotel Chain). My son is a project management consulting for a company that does a lot of large real estate construction projects.

LA is supposedly shutting down construction so I am shocked that hotels etc get to keep going as "essential". I could see infrastructure but hotels?

So he will keep going and getting exposed. I just worry that if he is one of the unlucky ones that needs medical intervention he will be *kitten*-out-of-luck as they say. And no one there to get him what he needs to be sick at home.
    Stressed for him and all the workers and healthcare employees in NYC.

Whoa now. As I understand it "essential" means these places and people will be allowed to work not that they have to work. My son is a grocery store cashier, as a front line food supply worker his work is considered essential, but he and everyone he works with is free to take leave-of-absence with a guarantee of getting his job back later. No one is, or should be, forced to work during this time if they choose not to take the risk and that includes medical personnel.

My understanding is that this will be up to the employer. If you're *essential* and your business is allowed to stay open and your employer wants to hold you accountable for not coming to work, they are free to do that.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I work for a manufacturing plant and it's still open. (we don't make anything life essential) All of us "non essential" employees are working from home but the plant workers, and those who directly support them, are still working. Which they seem like they have the highest risk since there's so many of them?!

The daycares are not closed but I decided to keep my kids home anyway. It's not as bad as I thought although I'm definitely not as productive. My 8 month old is super needy.

If the plant isn't allowed to work, maybe someone should report it.