Coronavirus prep

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Question for everyone on the topic of planning as we get through this:

Let's say someone you know, either a family member or friend, dies during this time (either for Covid-19 or otherwise). In the interest of avoiding crowds, do you still go to the funeral / memorial service? If you are involved in planning the funeral, do you ask for only close family members to come?

Also, would it make someone a terrible person to skip going to the funeral even if it is a relative (grandparent, let's say)? *Asking for a friend.

Looking at the obituaries here...every single one says "services private, memorial will be held at a later date." So sad for people who lose loved ones...I know how important it can be to be surrounded by friends and family during a tough time, and now so many people are having to face their grief alone.

That sounds like funeral directors are suggesting it. Honestly, I think that is most practical. I wasn't expecting to catch Covid-19 from the body after embalming and such. The concern is other people who might have also been exposed because they live in the same house and/or a different family in the same house that is known to be exposed and some would probably come. And then traveling (a day each way by car, as I prefer driving anyway) and rest stops / food / gas along the way creates hazards as well as a hotel if I can even get one. Nah, it all seems best to look out for myself if I skipped. Only issue is if work would even give bereavement leave in a year or whenever. But can figure that out in the future.
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    edited March 2020
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    I'm about to brave a trip to the grocery store. I read a comment elsewhere that if you can still afford to buy not-the-cheapest foodstuffs, you should, and leave the cheapest things for those who can afford nothing else. The problem is my job situation is not 100% clear right now. My anxiety level is 12/10.

@GaleHawkins I live on the other end of the state from you. It does look like Nashville has become the hotspot for the region with 100+ cases now.

Your reasoning to purchase, the cheapest items's definitely valid.

I took Advil for a headache, this morning & with what I've remaining, I chose the no rush delivery at Amazon to help them fill urgent orders but if I didn't have over 10 tablets, I'd have chosen asap.
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    edited March 2020
    pinuplove wrote: »

Let's say someone you know, either a family member or friend, dies during this time (either for Covid-19 or otherwise). In the interest of avoiding crowds, do you still go to the funeral / memorial service? If you are involved in planning the funeral, do you ask for only close family members to come?

Also, would it make someone a terrible person to skip going to the funeral even if it is a relative (grandparent, let's say)? *Asking for a friend.
    I would hope the family would delay a funeral or memorial. Cremation and memorial at a later date is the best option. I doubt anyone who died of this would want others getting it because of their funeral.

ETA I wouldn't go if there was one, and no I wouldn't feel like a horrible person.

In Italy there are so many coffins piled up that the military takes them to cremation centers in cities and towns further south. This in the middle of the night. There is a film clip somewhere--it's sobering.The cemeteries are full in the Northern cities.

This' a difficult truth, especially if/when many deaths occur within 1 family. 4 members of 1 family within New Jersey died via this, I don't know if they'll even be able to afford to've a funeral or the loss, of their potential income.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

By law, we cannot go to funerals or weddings (Italy). They are doing virtual funerals.

Besides, you don't need a body to have a funeral (although it is an important thing in some cultures). More and more people, even before COVID, have been having a private inurnment or internment shortly after death and plan a memorial for a date a bit more convenient, especially if family is far flung.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,887 Member
    edited March 2020

Well, Catholic funerals in Boston have been put on hold https://www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/20200320/boston-archdiocese-to-halt-funerals-starting-monday-because-of-coronavirus

My family has staggered funerals in the past for logistical reasons, for example one in California at the time and one on the East Coast at a more convenient time. There was another one that had a proper funeral at the time and a memorial at a more convenient time.

If I were in charge of a funeral, I would definitely postpone it.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    My sister had worked at Lowe's for over 5 years until she got fired this past summer. She took a job with Krogers, which now may be seen as a blessing in disguise - Krogers is considered essential, so her job should be safe. Lowe's, on the other hand, would likely have laid her off.

Does Lowes not count as essential? What happens if there’s a wiring issue or the water heater breaks or the door falls off the hinges? I can think of about fifteen things that would make it impossible to keep sheltering in place that could go wrong with no hardware store.
    Here's what I found:

From HuffPost: While the list may vary according to local concerns and the nature of a given event, disaster or pandemic, here is a general idea of what’s considered “essential” in emergencies, according to various governments, including San Francisco, Miami, New York state and Miami-Dade County:

• Gas stations, auto supply stores, auto repair shops and related facilities

• Pharmacies

• Grocery stores, farmers markets, food banks and convenience stores

• Liquor stores

• Restaurants (only for delivery, takeout and drive-thru)

• Hardware stores and plumbers

• Contractors and other tradesmen, appliance repair personnel

• Exterminators and other service providers

• Landscape and pool care businesses, including residential landscape and pool care

• Construction sites and engineering and architecture firms

• Banks and related financial institutions including insurance and accounting services

• Phone and computer sellers

• Community benefit organizations on a case-by-case basis

• Laundromats, dry cleaners and laundry service providers

• Healthcare providers, hospitals, clinics and healthcare operations including research and laboratory services, medical wholesale and distribution, and dentists

• Businesses that provide shelter and/or social services

• Newspapers, television, radio and other media outlets

• Businesses offering mailing and shipping services, including post office boxes

• Airlines, taxis and other private transportation providers

• Home-based care for seniors, adults or children

• Assisted living facilities, nursing homes, adult day care centers and senior facilities

• Pet supply stores

• Veterinary offices

• Police stations

• Fire stations

• Building code enforcement

• Jails

• Courts

• Garbage/sanitation and recycling services

• Public transportation (Muni, BART, subways)

• Utilities (water, power and gas, telecommunications)

• Certain city, county, state and federal offices

• Funeral homes, crematoriums and cemeteries

• Maintenance staff, cleaners, janitors and doormen

• Manufacturing including food processing, chemical, pharmaceutical, agricultural, paper products, safety and sanitary products
    https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/what-are-essential-services-jobs-185047320.html

Landscape and pool care? :/
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    try2again wrote: »
    My sister had worked at Lowe's for over 5 years until she got fired this past summer. She took a job with Krogers, which now may be seen as a blessing in disguise - Krogers is considered essential, so her job should be safe. Lowe's, on the other hand, would likely have laid her off.

Does Lowes not count as essential? What happens if there’s a wiring issue or the water heater breaks or the door falls off the hinges? I can think of about fifteen things that would make it impossible to keep sheltering in place that could go wrong with no hardware store.
    Here's what I found:

From HuffPost: While the list may vary according to local concerns and the nature of a given event, disaster or pandemic, here is a general idea of what’s considered “essential” in emergencies, according to various governments, including San Francisco, Miami, New York state and Miami-Dade County:

• Gas stations, auto supply stores, auto repair shops and related facilities

• Pharmacies

• Grocery stores, farmers markets, food banks and convenience stores

• Liquor stores

• Restaurants (only for delivery, takeout and drive-thru)

• Hardware stores and plumbers

• Contractors and other tradesmen, appliance repair personnel

• Exterminators and other service providers

• Landscape and pool care businesses, including residential landscape and pool care

• Construction sites and engineering and architecture firms

• Banks and related financial institutions including insurance and accounting services

• Phone and computer sellers

• Community benefit organizations on a case-by-case basis

• Laundromats, dry cleaners and laundry service providers

• Healthcare providers, hospitals, clinics and healthcare operations including research and laboratory services, medical wholesale and distribution, and dentists

• Businesses that provide shelter and/or social services

• Newspapers, television, radio and other media outlets

• Businesses offering mailing and shipping services, including post office boxes

• Airlines, taxis and other private transportation providers

• Home-based care for seniors, adults or children

• Assisted living facilities, nursing homes, adult day care centers and senior facilities

• Pet supply stores

• Veterinary offices

• Police stations

• Fire stations

• Building code enforcement

• Jails

• Courts

• Garbage/sanitation and recycling services

• Public transportation (Muni, BART, subways)

• Utilities (water, power and gas, telecommunications)

• Certain city, county, state and federal offices

• Funeral homes, crematoriums and cemeteries

• Maintenance staff, cleaners, janitors and doormen

• Manufacturing including food processing, chemical, pharmaceutical, agricultural, paper products, safety and sanitary products
    https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/what-are-essential-services-jobs-185047320.html

Landscape and pool care? :/

Right? This goes back to my earlier point about partial shutdowns. All these things that are considered "essential" and are obviously not essential are destroying the benefit.

Courts are another good example. I know that there are some legal issues that truly cannot wait, but simple lawsuits, minor things like traffic tickets, etc. can all be re-scheduled to a later date. Many courts have judges that are basically on call for situations like where something just cannot wait, so a judge is available nights/weekends anyway. That may be as simple as the police go to his/her house and get a signed warrant or order of some sort. I'm not advocating that people shouldn't be afforded their day in court for situations where normally people have a right to defend themselves in a public trial, but those types of things can be delayed often.