Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    In Detroit (down the road from me), 5 police officers are confirmed positive, and 150-some are quarantined. That's "only" 7% of the force, but apparently it's concentrated in some parts of the city, so requiring some reallocations of personnel. If it gets worse, chief will possibly de-prioritize some less urgent investigative units for full staffing.

Before you start: I'm not catastrophizing about the horrors of Detroit, which tends to have some baggage about being an awful place. It has some serious challenges, but so do many major cities. It's not a unique case study in bad city-hood or something, so don't take this as some dark hint about what may happen in Detroit.

I'm reporting this here because it suggests a potentially high-exposure group I hadn't considered, and I heard the stats from Detroit because it's nearby (source: Michigan Radio, a network of public radio stations that does some excellent reporting in the state).

Here's a piece about a similar topic in Chicago (I think we've only had one police officer reported positive so far).

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-coronavirus-chicago-first-responders-20200319-hxfzxfbvo5f7xagipvuqaryfyi-story.html
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    This Danish supermarket has a solution for hoarding 😄

https://www.boredpanda.com/danish-supermarket-stop-hoarding-hand-sanitizer/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

Not really practical in real life where nobody is forced to wear a badge of shame proclaiming "HOARDER!" while others are able to shop in peace with their "SHOPPING FOR A GROUP!" sashes 😊
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited March 2020
    pinuplove wrote: »
    My sister had worked at Lowe's for over 5 years until she got fired this past summer. She took a job with Krogers, which now may be seen as a blessing in disguise - Krogers is considered essential, so her job should be safe. Lowe's, on the other hand, would likely have laid her off.

Does Lowes not count as essential? What happens if there’s a wiring issue or the water heater breaks or the door falls off the hinges? I can think of about fifteen things that would make it impossible to keep sheltering in place that could go wrong with no hardware store.
    Here's what I found:

From HuffPost: While the list may vary according to local concerns and the nature of a given event, disaster or pandemic, here is a general idea of what’s considered “essential” in emergencies, according to various governments, including San Francisco, Miami, New York state and Miami-Dade County:

• Gas stations, auto supply stores, auto repair shops and related facilities

• Pharmacies

• Grocery stores, farmers markets, food banks and convenience stores

• Liquor stores

• Restaurants (only for delivery, takeout and drive-thru)

• Hardware stores and plumbers

• Contractors and other tradesmen, appliance repair personnel

• Exterminators and other service providers

• Landscape and pool care businesses, including residential landscape and pool care

• Construction sites and engineering and architecture firms

• Banks and related financial institutions including insurance and accounting services

• Phone and computer sellers

• Community benefit organizations on a case-by-case basis

• Laundromats, dry cleaners and laundry service providers

• Healthcare providers, hospitals, clinics and healthcare operations including research and laboratory services, medical wholesale and distribution, and dentists

• Businesses that provide shelter and/or social services

• Newspapers, television, radio and other media outlets

• Businesses offering mailing and shipping services, including post office boxes

• Airlines, taxis and other private transportation providers

• Home-based care for seniors, adults or children

• Assisted living facilities, nursing homes, adult day care centers and senior facilities

• Pet supply stores

• Veterinary offices

• Police stations

• Fire stations

• Building code enforcement

• Jails

• Courts

• Garbage/sanitation and recycling services

• Public transportation (Muni, BART, subways)

• Utilities (water, power and gas, telecommunications)

• Certain city, county, state and federal offices

• Funeral homes, crematoriums and cemeteries

• Maintenance staff, cleaners, janitors and doormen

• Manufacturing including food processing, chemical, pharmaceutical, agricultural, paper products, safety and sanitary products
    https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/what-are-essential-services-jobs-185047320.html

That's a longer list than we used to have (before the curfew was announced, now it's even shorter). I'm curious why liquor stores are considered essential.

I cannot understand why alcohol stores would be considered essential either, but I have to admit, I haven't wanted a drink for as long as I can remember, as much as I do now.
    A lot of those places I wouldn't consider essential but you can always dig further and reach for reasons why a certain place should remain open. :(

And I kind of agree with the poster who mentioned isolation being an all or nothing action. There are still too many gaps if we're talking isolation, too many places where people are not taking this seriously. Too many what-if's and not enough information. Many people are still trying to live their normal daily routines and are late in adjusting their thinking to this new way of living. :(

Has Snowflake shared how Italy has locked down their public services and which ones remain accessible? As well as any other places that have become more stringent with isolating, such as NYC or California, etc.? I'm sorry if I missed it already, I either skipped the info unintentionally(there's been a LOT) or forgot.

Vets are considered essential but there again, a pet care place 15 minutes away, had a client who was sick, and later in the day, confirmed positive. They had to contact all who were exposed. :( I called my vet yesterday, they've cancelled all non-emergency visits and will take it week by week. I asked about the flea meds.( prescription only)and they've been taking people's orders, placing them in a box outside their door.

So, yes, steps are definitely being taken to decrease exposure but it definitely leaves me feeling like there are still way too many gaps. :(
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    try2again wrote: »
    My sister had worked at Lowe's for over 5 years until she got fired this past summer. She took a job with Krogers, which now may be seen as a blessing in disguise - Krogers is considered essential, so her job should be safe. Lowe's, on the other hand, would likely have laid her off.

Does Lowes not count as essential? What happens if there’s a wiring issue or the water heater breaks or the door falls off the hinges? I can think of about fifteen things that would make it impossible to keep sheltering in place that could go wrong with no hardware store.
    Here's what I found:

From HuffPost: While the list may vary according to local concerns and the nature of a given event, disaster or pandemic, here is a general idea of what’s considered “essential” in emergencies, according to various governments, including San Francisco, Miami, New York state and Miami-Dade County:

• Pharmacies

• Liquor stores

• Landscape and pool care businesses, including residential landscape and pool care

• Banks and related financial institutions including insurance and accounting services

• Healthcare providers, hospitals, clinics and healthcare operations including research and laboratory services, medical wholesale and distribution, and dentists

• Businesses offering mailing and shipping services, including post office boxes

• Assisted living facilities, nursing homes, adult day care centers and senior facilities

• Pet supply stores

• Veterinary offices

• Police stations

• Fire stations

• Jails

• Courts

• Manufacturing including food processing, chemical, pharmaceutical, agricultural, paper products, safety and sanitary products

Landscape and pool care? :/

Right? This goes back to my earlier point about partial shutdowns. All these things that are considered "essential" and are obviously not essential are destroying the benefit.

Courts are another good example. I know that there are some legal issues that truly cannot wait, but simple lawsuits, minor things like traffic tickets, etc. can all be re-scheduled to a later date. Many courts have judges that are basically on call for situations like where something just cannot wait, so a judge is available nights/weekends anyway. That may be as simple as the police go to his/her house and get a signed warrant or order of some sort. I'm not advocating that people shouldn't be afforded their day in court for situations where normally people have a right to defend themselves in a public trial, but those types of things can be delayed often.

In the county I live in jury duty is for 90 days. I’ve been on a stint from 1/2/20 to 3/31/20. We call in to see if we have to report. Yesterday, I called in to see if I have to report for the week of 3/24/20 - 3/31/20. Because of the virus, it’s been cancelled.

That reminds me... my mom has jury duty now also. And she is older (higher risk) plus lives with someone known to have been exposed (sister living with her had a co-worker/friend test positive) and is waiting to see if any symptoms develop. Plus my other pregnant sister is a nurse and lives with them also. I should ask her about what they are doing for potential jurors right now... trials can wait for now.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited March 2020
    Rumor going around that CA will start a voucher system for allowing people to go outside. Seems extremely unlikely and not a hint of anything like it in the news.

But... I wouldn't be surprised if there is a tightening of rules, maybe a curfew and perhaps restrictions for shopping and entering other establishments.

Unfortunately, if SF is anything to go by, too many people aren't taking social distancing seriously 😔
  • EnterNihil
    EnterNihil Posts: 67 Member
    what's going on in SF?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    try2again wrote: »

Here's what I found:

• Pharmacies

• Liquor stores

• Pet supply stores

• Veterinary offices

• Police stations

• Fire stations

• Jails

• Courts

Landscape and pool care? :/

Right? This goes back to my earlier point about partial shutdowns. All these things that are considered "essential" and are obviously not essential are destroying the benefit.

Courts are another good example. I know that there are some legal issues that truly cannot wait, but simple lawsuits, minor things like traffic tickets, etc. can all be re-scheduled to a later date. Many courts have judges that are basically on call for situations like where something just cannot wait, so a judge is available nights/weekends anyway. That may be as simple as the police go to his/her house and get a signed warrant or order of some sort. I'm not advocating that people shouldn't be afforded their day in court for situations where normally people have a right to defend themselves in a public trial, but those types of things can be delayed often.

In the county I live in jury duty is for 90 days. I’ve been on a stint from 1/2/20 to 3/31/20. We call in to see if we have to report. Yesterday, I called in to see if I have to report for the week of 3/24/20 - 3/31/20. Because of the virus, it’s been cancelled.

Yeah, our courts had already canceled most in-person things even before the "stay at home" order.

For example, for Cook County Circuit Court:

"Many criminal and civil cases in the Circuit Court of Cook County will be postponed for a 30-day period starting Tuesday (March 17) due to the spread of the coronavirus, Chief Judge Timothy C. Evans announced today.

Court operations will proceed as scheduled on Monday (March 16). The 30-day period runs from March 17 through April 15....

No jury trials in criminal or civil matters will begin in the 30 days. Individuals who have been summoned to jury duty from March 17 through April 15 should not report for jury duty. They will receive a new date for service.

Grand jury proceedings will continue during the 30 days, and the proceedings may be held in courtrooms to provide more space and distance between people. Individuals who are currently serving in grand jury proceedings must report to court.

For all adult criminal cases, all trials and many hearings scheduled for the 30 days are postponed to a future date. Hearings that will proceed in the 30 days include bail hearings, arraignments and preliminary hearings. In addition, defendants may continue to enter into plea agreements to conclude their case. Any pretrial defendant may also request a bail review during this time....

All traffic and misdemeanor matters scheduled in the 30 days are postponed to a future date.

For delinquency and criminal proceedings involving juveniles, the only matters that will occur during the 30 days are demands for trial and detention hearings that determine if a juvenile is held in custody while the case is pending.

Judges will hear cases of child abuse or neglect in which the state seeks protective custody of a child, and judges will hear emergency motions in which children are allegedly abused in foster care.

For domestic violence matters, petitioners may seek orders of protection during the 30 days. Litigants may also seek an order of protection related to an existing civil domestic relations case (such as dissolution of marriage). Emergency petitions may also be filed in child-support matters.

For the 30-day period, all civil matters not deemed an emergency by party agreement are postponed to a future date. Emergency requests in civil matters will be permitted.

No orders for an eviction or foreclosure will be entered during the 30-day period.

Civil lawsuits may still be filed in person or via electronic filing....

After marriage ceremonies conclude Monday, March 16, judges will not perform marriage ceremonies during the 30-day period.

Though there will be fewer cases, all courthouses will remain open for the 30 days. Court employees who do not need to be in a courtroom or office will be encouraged to work remotely during this time."

That was the order issued back on 3/13, I expect it will get stricter and even more limited.

The latest from the Northern District of IL, as of 3/20 is:

"Effective at 4:30 p.m. on March 20, 2020, and continuing during the effective period of this Order, the
    District Court Clerk’s Office at the Dirksen U.S. Courthouse in Chicago, Illinois, will be closed to public
    entry. Filings in the Eastern Division can be: (i) electronically filed via CM/ECF; (ii) deposited in the
    drop-box in the lobby of the Dirksen Courthouse during business hours; or (iii) mailed to U.S. District
    Court Clerk’s Office, 219 South Dearborn Street, 20th Floor, Chicago, IL 60604. No in-person deliveries
    of any kind may be made to a judge’s chambers or to the Clerk’s Office."

Business is still being conducted electronically and through phone hearings.