WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2020

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,730 Member
    Options
    Morning my friends
    slept well last night, weird dreams ,but non the less slept ok..
    I think today will be a pajama day.. i got most everything clean yesterday, just have to make the bed today and do the dishes,,,
    I am grateful for the birds that come in the morning, I can sit in my chair and they come to my retaining wall where i put out dried mealworms and they love it..
    I have Alfie hanging with me and have enough dog food for the duration for him
    I have a drs appointment on tuesday and will leave Tal here on her own with Alfie and Homer... ill be gone about an hour..
    the sun is out and am a happy camper.
    Sharon~ If I lived near you for sure I would bring you whatever was needed
    your on one side of the country and I am on the other.. so that doesn't help much..
    please everyone stay safe.. and I will be pray for everyone
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    oh yeah, we ran out of TP here on day one and two but on day 3 evening i got some in a shop. i already had 6 compact rolls for 1 person. it's not my main concern, but i figure it's good to have.

no masks anywhere. i have a very few disposable ones.
    i got a box of latex gloves when i tried to buy something else at pharmacy last monday (that i couldn't get) and saw the lady in front of me getting a box.
    hand sanitizer was impossible to get for 3-4 weeks. finally i saw a pharmacy that had some if you bring your own 100ml bottle (max quantity).
    i got rubbing alcohol in place of sanitizer a few weeks ago but now that is impossible to get apparently.

beans and rice and pasta was out but i think there is some now. some days almost all fruits and veggies are gone. i'm doing ok so far. i try to have bananas, apples oranges, some long lasting veggies (cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, canned fish, eggs, soy milk, soy yogurt. so far so good. some may run out as factories may close down over months.
    i got ink, batteries, a lightbulb (the reasonably priced ones were already out), paper, pens.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @SuziQ113 i think it will take MUCH longer than 15 days of lockdown, unfortunately. here they closed schools for 2 weeks but it's already been prolonged to 3 weeks + 2 weeks spring break, brining us back in mid april at the earliest. people are saying it will last 2-3 months. look at china. they are not back to normal when you look in detail. they are at best (if i'm not mistaken) able to go back out to buy food and walk with social distance - like we are now in france. not very normal. california said they might not go have kids go back to school before summer. i'm pretty sure we will have no more live classes in higher ed this semester, (classes finish in late april and mid may).

@Sharon, there must be some help volunteers where you are. in france there is generally NOT a neighborly trend like in the usa (for various cultural-historical reasons : strong traditional hierarchy between nobles and the peasants, and then collaboration period, to name a few - as opposed to colonialist usa when there was absolute need for collaboration for survival and home building to start the country). BUT the kind portugese origine concierge put a note out saying that people who need help (shopping) or people who can help can get in touch. there are many dozens of condos/apartments in the building and several elderly people. AND in the district and city there are also online services to volunteer to help with shopping or even to simply speak with elderly people on the phone so they don't feel so isolated... There is delivery in some places, but surely all pharmacies don't have enough delivery service for everyone to be delivered.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @barbiecat thanks for the shout out <3 nice that you can get to know your neighbor from a distance, and go for a distance walk with a friend. i need to look into zoom. too much emergency reorganizing stuff to deal with. we didn't have much heads up here. is zoom camera-based?
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    the streets are fairly empty here. emptier than ever. and we can hear birds quite a bit.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @kymarai thanks for the shout out <3 having a good couple relation with a bit of space and a bit of yard/garden sounds ideal at present.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    i ordered a new phone since mine is slightly cracked. being phoneless would not do and who knows how long all delivery and factory services will continue. i had iphones, then went android, huawei, just before it became a no-no phone. got a low cost iphone. iphone 7 only 200 euros or so. i had wanted to get a FAIRPHONE (ecologically sound, fair trade 400 euros and chunky for features that are usually 200 euros, but with replaceable parts- but replaceable parts for one that starts as a clunker may be of uncertain value ) but they seem really rather poor quality in several ways and it's not the time to take a risk. i particularly miss having decent photos, especially in this distance period.
  • bananasandoranges
    edited March 2020
    Options
    QUESTION :How do you think this period will have changed society, positively and negatively or mixedly, in medium and long term when we are allowed back to regular life? In one year? In 5 years? What do you think will have likely changed definitively or semi-definitively?
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    @bananasandoranges -good to hear from you. Have wondered how you have been doing with this in France. It does remind one of Camus-but that is a reminder that humans have lived through these things before. Even before airplanes you could get the world wide spread-it was just slower with boats as transport.

Having a slow Sunday. Getting bills paid (I get there are no penalty deferments out there, but I have no excuse to be late!). While doing things around the house this morning I have been mentally hashing out a few more work plans. May take a walk after done with bills then come back and draft current final plan.

The sun is shining even if it is cool. The grass is green.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,063 Member
    Options
    Macha thank you thank you for your service...be careul love you.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    @bananasandoranges - our governor petioned the courts to change voting due to not making people chose between health and civic duty. The courts said no. He used his executive power and closed polls anyway! People can vote via mail with requested ballot until June, I think. I had already done absentee ballots. I chose that way so my husband can vote. Being legally blind, they won't allow me to help at the polls and he doesn't trust the poll workers. Absentee makes it easier. I am sad that you aren't given that option.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Stores 🏬 limiting - 2 of each item. All doors locked except 1! A Cop or 2 at that door to assist the worker if need be as they count how many exit y how many enter. Other workers are filling curb side orders in back rooms y stocking shelves y texting customers to pick it up so long line of cars at the pickup line. Only self checkouts open so 1 worker y a register ready if they need to jump on for extremely large purchases. It’s raining hubby drove by kids to adults standing wrapping around the buildings like the great depression food lines waiting all day to go in. The ones at the end may get turned away when closing comes or food runs out.

Church- Normalcy is key their oldest in that community many have outlived their kids or never had any or the grandkids like butterfly 🦋 tattoo (the Older man raised her as a babe) check on them to care for them.
    Since my Dad,Uncle,y Aunt take care of the 90yr old man he’s dependent on them their dependent on me y my cousins. The Pastor is 80’s young he always says (it’s cute he winks as he says it).

Grieved first my dying Aunt y turned it over to God. Nothing more that we can do it’s in his hands y the Doctors y nurses.

An aquarium here went against the new city rules been shut down y fined thousands of dollars. Not their offense so maximum fines.

Ordered groceries online few jars of spaghetti,pancake mix,y protein powder shake mix . So far 1 in transit (spaghetti sauce 3 small jars) snail 🐌 mail. The rest is in back order waiting to be filled. When it gets here finally it will be well received.

Amber Tx

Sandwich 🥪 today y whatever I can put together same ol same ol.
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Remember me mentioning 6 degrees of separation. A friend just texted and his friend, note only 2 degrees, was rushed to the hospital and is a confirmed dire case. They traced his diagnosis to his use of the hand pump filling up his car. His doctor also stated this is where many cases are being tracked to as the cause. Doctor said no one should pump gas without a disposable glove on. If not available suggested a paper towel both of which should be thrown out before getting back into your vehicle.
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Amber sorry to hear about your aunt. Prayers to you and your family.