WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2020

Options

Replies

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Machka they tried going online but the youngest member is my Dad! He’s not young has brain injury. 2nd youngest member is my Aunt in her 70’s she doesn’t know either. 3rd youngest church member is my Uncle who’s 80yrs old the pastors older they all are. They don’t have a nursery worker or Sunday school for younger people they don’t have any. They paid for an online service but the pastor couldn’t figure out how to upload a sermon. Probably for the best the members don’t know how to search for groceries on the internet let alone church. My cousin is teaching my Aunt how to buy groceries online for curb pickup took her weeks to teach her. Poor cousin was hard on her but she got her to learn it... problem is my Dad y Uncle didn’t catch on so if something happens to my Aunt they can’t order food for pickup. Pastor cancelled the online service he couldn’t figure it out.I took 3months to teach Dad how to use his iPad all he learned was YouTube videos on how to do stuff ,email,y Amazon app to search but then he calls to make the order. I did manage to get Dad to use a flat screen tv not a smart one. He had the old box huge version for years after Mom died we got him a simple flat screen...he touches it we call dish company they come out fix what he touches. The church has a speaker system but they don’t know how to use it..the teen who was 14yrs old who ran it for them is the only one who knows how to work it he had to get a job to help his single mom so they lost him. So the speaker system can’t be used or record anything either now.
    Too late to sign up take school classes on this stuff now. They didn’t leave much solutions for their predicament that’s for sure. Their oldest member a married couple in their 100’s who comes every week. Another married couple the husband is in his 100’s but his wife’s a spry witty 90yr old. They only have 20members their not all there most of the time due to illnesses. The rule at the moment is no more than 10people congregating inside a building . So outside in the cars 🚘 park like an old time outdoor movie theater listening (if they can hear major portion of the church is deaf even with their hearing aids on especially my Uncle! )
    15min total go home gives them hope I say go for it no contact so safer than what they were doing.
    Amber Tx

Karen - Right call your Daughter she can even order online send to the house 🏡. That’s my plan if something happens to my Aunt I’ll have to order online send to Dad y Uncle.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    vl1j6exv0qro.jpeg
    zp1r1xzjyj2b.jpeg
    4uy1v702qfap.jpeg

JR trying to teach my Dad how to take pictures took JR multiple tries on multiple days but Dad caught on luckily he can take them but waits on my cousin they send the pictures out for him . Daughter tried while she was down too.My Cousins y me. I found he could learn Youtube by saving a link to it in his notes 📝 so he can push it takes him to YouTube then he types in what how to video he wants. Tried to explain it has tv to movies even more but confused him so sticking to “How to ....,,” only. JRs facial expression y body language was priceless cute tho. Then he tried to teach my Dads younger brother my Uncle Barry how to take pictures but he couldn’t figure it out so maybe next time. Uncle now has a ton of toddler pics on his phone he can’t remove taking up memory space.Lol that’s Cousin Johns problem we voted he will fix Uncle Barry memory when he visits next...when ever that will be now.

Dads Church members the lady with the tattoo not a member she was visiting her elderly parents
    64pbc1d59tsp.jpeg
    tcm0rkfuj5na.jpeg
    arbf9pfweddq.jpeg
    o3l6dahqihnh.jpeg
    gy0ly1puhp78.jpeg
    plaid shirt my Tio Daniel, red shirts my Aunt I look exactly like her at every age! ,y my Dads the shiny preacher lol close up at Golden Corral of him. That’s 3 of the older members 100’s y 90yr old man my Aunt y Uncle take care of he has no kids.

https://apple.news/AcHc4szbYRs-AWQwwsM-d5w

Amber Tx

Daughter y my 2nd cousins taught me y my 1st cousins how to use cell phones to computers. Lol so Mine knowledge is as far as she taught me.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Did Denise Austin Fat Blasting Yoga DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Cathe Friedrich’s Hardcore Series DVD.

Just found out that the bowling alley we go to is closed. Not that we are going bowling.

I tell you, this “lockdown” is getting to me. Well, you know me – the person who is always out and about. Now I can’t go out because places aren’t open or only open for a short time. But I’ll survive. Someone compared this to the polio epidemic. Interesting thought.

SuziQ – I just got an email saying that the Hickory farmers market was open. It’s in the Hickory Soup Kitchen. I was a bit surprised that they were open. I wasn’t going to go anyway. I’m getting a lot of things done that I had been meaning to but they were so small that they were put on the back burner. Well, now they’re getting done. Aldi was low on toilet paper, but it seems that most people have what they were going to hoard. I don’t feel like I’m a hoarder, I think I just might get an extra of something we use (like an extra paper towels)

Karen VA – yes, we have the first confirmed case in our county. Maybe there was a part of me who, even unconsciously, felt like we were immune since there wasn’t a confirmed case in our county. But now that there is, I’m feeling different. You know, this has me thinking. When I need to go to the store, I’m going to get like 2 of everything, even if we don’t need it right now. You don’t know when the store will be out of whatever it is.

Just saw that the Newcomer board meeting is going to be held via video conference. Well, not like it means anything to me

Was up at 2am yesterday. Well, with the weather change my sinuses were acting up so I took a decongestant. They always make me dry and wide awake. Nothing new there.

Barbara – the soup kitchen had bags with the food. Like I saw that the cake was wrapped up. They also gave out another bag with the drink in it. People came, got their bag, and had to leave. They had two bags of food so I was just putting one inside the other, so I was at least 6’ from anyone. They couldn’t sit there and eat, they had to take it elsewhere.

A lady in Newcomers has cancer and I was going to make her a meal in two weeks. I’m thinking that I’ll just call and have something delivered to them. Update: I just looked to see what they had. Prices were in the $50-$99 range. And it was A LOT of food, like enough for 4 people. Looks like I’ll be taking something there. Fortunately, they are pretty close to me. There is NO WAY they can eat that much food. It would probably last at least a month.

I’m wondering if it’s worth it financially to make yogurt in the IP. But it DOES taste better and it gives me something to do.

The chocolate pudding came out OK, I think the next time I should add more cornstarch. But it had very good flavor

Amber – I’m so sorry about your aunt. How do the stores limit how many people can enter the store? Do they have one of their workers standing outside counting?? Yes, almost every church around here is going to online or streaming.

Lanette – wouldn’t it be funny if at the end of all this people wound up not using TP and the manufacturers had an over-abundance??

Beth – I’m sure your brother had a good reason. But for the life of me, I can’t figure out what it could be.

Luci – a blood clot? Now? Yikes, just what you and your hubby need

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,071 Member
    Options
    For those who are bored (I can barely imagine being bored, but nevertheless ...) ...

Why not learn a new language or two:
    https://www.duolingo.com/
    http://www.hellochinese.cc/

:)

M in Oz
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,649 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Barbara-That is truly beautiful and inspiring.🌹🌹
    Debby in Va
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Namaste

Amazon – It is important to remember Amazon makes money by utilizing local stores/suppliers and shortest shipping distances. Even though TP may be available to some it will not be available to all due to those suppliers/stores being out of stock.

Reality Check – Read at Your Own Will
    I live in Broward County Florida. Our first case was a little more than a week ago and patient 0 worked at the Port of Fort Lauderdale. Like many here on the board I said, oh, the port. It is so far south of me I can be out and about. Ten days later we have 164 confirmed cases and 3 deaths. Broward and Miami-Dade Counties are now considered the “hot spot” for Southern Florida. With a two-week incubation period those of you who feel it is ok to be out and about need to rethink this thought. Seriously. Tests are still hard to come by unless prescribed or employed by emergency services so time will only tell how many are actually running around and are contagious.

I am in full support of anyone who has got to go to work (how the heck will you pay your bills), are working the front lines, run businesses and support the community, pick up a prescription or survival supplies, help a neighbor or family member, etc.. But I simply cannot stand by and not say anything about those who feel it is okay to make an extra run because they are missing an ingredient, have enough to survive and cannot make do with what they have on hand. Every additional trip, stop, visit, has the propensity for us to pick up the virus and carry it onward. It may not be you who gets sick it can be anyone who comes up behind you. This is even practicing “social distance”.

Tina – I am glad the stores are putting no return policies on hoarding items. I imagine we will be seeing tons of TP on eBay and at yard sales once we get back to normal. I am so happy for my little courtyard and have been walking around the perimeter and cleaning up the garden. Thank you for the sunscreen reminder.

KJ – The children under your care are so fortunate. I wish I could come by and play in the sand at the beach party!

Tracey – Why not build a snowman? Truly it is the only thing I can think of to do when snow is on the ground.

Lanette – I am glad they finally came up with the mantra, “15 Days to Stop the Spread”, but so disagree with the day 6 calculation. We would be in day 6 if everyone not needing to be out were staying home and only going out for exercise and fresh air. Today is my official day 6. I have not been out where I would come in contact with another being. I have only visited the mailbox and my courtyard which is large enough for me to walk around. I do not understand those who have pets they cannot handle. Pit bulls can be real lovers and great pets but take a firm trainer/handler. Your neighbor obviously has a good protector, but seems not to be able to handle the dog.

Beth – I am shaking my head over your brother. Sending prayers for your dad.

Sharon – I found the following programs in Seattle. They may be able to assist while you are recovering. You may be able to call and/or email them for help or the correct organization to contact. I would also call the hospital to see if they have a suggestion as to who to call.
    https://www.udistrictfoodbank.org/services/home-delivery/
    https://foodlifeline.org/
    https://www.ballardfoodbank.org/home-delivery
    https://familyworksseattle.org/food-banks/

Luci – Sending prayers to you and your husband. Monday is right around the corner. I am sure the doctor would not suggest waiting if he felt it was an emergency. Thank you for your kind words. I am actually okay with being by myself. But, do feel the need to care for someone and have a hard time just directing all of that care towards myself.

Machka – Your beaches are so beautiful.

Karen – I so agree. Many are out for wants. I want a salad today. Do I need it? No, I have other green options in the house. My option is canned green beans. I am resorting to using the skills gathered during my welfare kid days. I will drain the green beans, mix up a vinaigrette, place in the refrigerator, and it will be my salad this evening. The only thing I can think of is besides selfishness is there are many who are stressed and just need to feel like something is in their control and are going out for some sense of normalcy.

Margaret – Found an interesting article on EOs and it appears anti-viral properties are dependent upon the species of the plants. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6612361/ It is certainly something I will be giving more research time to and also plan upon incorporating because I do lean towards natural options.

Going green. I am actually starting to see many benefits to my conservation of TP. The #1 and other plan certainly is saving a lot of trees. While I was cleaning all of the pictures downstairs I used microfiber clothes (one to clean and one to dry) and saved a ton of paper towels. I have a feeling these new habits will be something I will continue to use once we get back to normal. It is another small way to conserve for future generations.

Well, the time has come for me to start on the to-do list. The house is getting cleaner and more organized as each day passes.

SuziQ – SFL – Where summer temps are expected to last from now through the end of the week.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,071 Member
    Options
    Staying inside would be nice, but tomorrow I go to work via public transportation.
    And likely every day this week.

But I have enjoyed my 3-day, work on uni stuff, weekend at home. I feel relaxed and comfortable at home. It would have been nice to relax and enjoy it, but with 2 university courses to contend with, at least I wasn't bored.

Machka in Oz
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    hi you guys

how are you? how is your health?
    are you closed in?

projects for this month
    walk 1 hour most days
    meditate 10 min to 60 min 5-6 days per week.
    clean/file 1h per day 5-6 days per week
    give ok/good/excellant distant classes
    track food daily
    short journal and drawing daily

crazy here in France. We have to print out and sign a paper to go out, as you have probably heard. most work is stopped, or is distance work. other than for essential needs (allowed work, food purchase, health care, pharmacy) we are, at present allowed to go max 2km from home for a walk. many sources say this is a good thing to do, but there are some online biddies who are against people going out for walks or jogs. good luck to them with perspective of 2+ months in 4 walls. surely the people complaining are not those who live in tiny dark studios or rooms. its mostly middle aged women. the joggers and walkers are of all ages. joggers are slightly more youngish men.

i got a roast guinea fowl and roast potatoes for lunch today today. it was ok but really wasn't worth the cost. i got a fine pastry. (kind of luxury artsy thing) and it was kind of worth it though also didn't last long for the cost. both shops are very close to home. glad to see flowers in full bloom in the street and walk. catching a bit of sun while walking is uplifting. was feeling glum in beginning of walk but more upbeat by mid-walk. am able to find mostly small, less-travelled streets and then circle big park, walking in the middle of the street or on the other side of the street to cross less paths, slipping on a mask when i come close to people.

i'm not thrilled that they told us not to leave town (which i didn't) but more than half of the residents of the city did, including a large proportion of my colleagues, including some of the wealthy school directors. i can sort of understand those who have young kids as it must be almost unbearable to be in such a small space w little kids, but many don't have kids at all and just left out of pure self-interest and with the risk of carrying virus and contributing to others' death.

that's why i didn't go away. why not leave? but what if i had crossed paths with a 70 year old who dies a week or two later from the virus?

as it is i'm in one of the worst places in the world to be in.

have any of you ever read "The Plague" by Camus? i think of it and it's not a happy story.

this is rough. a few days is interesting but the idea of this lasting months is not upsetting. it would be a nice time to be in a nice couple.

i spoke to one friend who lives in a small place w her spouse/guy and a 3 yr old. it's hard. another, lives in a less small place with her guy. i think she's really happy to have more time at home with him. she was wanting kids a few years ago and very heartbroken and sad for a good while that she couldn't have any, but now she is very happy not to have kids of any age. i'm glad to see she's 110% over that sadness.

one student is very happy to be alone. some with family are happy to be with family and some seem to have more mixed feelings...

still there is some relaxation, some disconnecting (in the good sense) and some laughter etc. more time to tidy a bit. more time to walk daily.

be well.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,080 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Barbara I did not have camera with me so I didn't get a picture. Just described it. It was a community mural. Some one left chalk so we could do our part I added a picture of singing notes by A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood. We had rain last night so it will have to be redraw today. Reminds me of a Mandela

Here people were trying to price gouge. They will be persecuted here.

TP will come again. Our truckers are working overtime to supply us. I think until people feel confident in food supply some hoarding will happen. It was an unfortuante thing that the whole nation had to stock up at once. In meantime Amber had some great ideas.

Niece got back from Florida safely. She took me advice to stock up two weeks worth of supplies.

Goals of today...
    Clean out car
    Laundry
    Get materials ready to donate to Y for Kids programs If time drop off
    Make a list of things of mine to take to son's home so in case we have complete lock down I will stay there
    Donate two extra masks I used one already and will save one for son and DH. They put out a call for anyone who has extra. They are the N-95.
    Listen to my friends devotional and her sermon and the father daughter duet throughout the day as needed
    This will keep me quite busy today
    Busy is good
    Oh Machka can't you tell them you have a loved one who needs you and you need to stay home to take care of them. Our politicians are slow to give us the firm direction to stay put. If too many in your community are still running around it will become mandatory soon enough.
    From what I saw yesterday I say will already should be in lockdown here. Unfortunately it will take about another week. Many of my friends and family are already in lockdown. I thank each one.

Carol if you get the chance listen to the father daughter duet's prayer. It is on my timeline. It is one of the most beautiful singing I have ever heard. Anyone else interested just go to my time line. A wonderful break in these times.
    Love you friends
    We lead the way in social distancing
    :heart: Margaret
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,613 Member
    Options
    @bananasandoranges I am glad to hear you are taking all precautions and getting fresh air. Stay safe and know that someone is on here most of the time if you need someone to "talk" with. I love my husband but am thankful for him having a man cave! I am not going to complain about having him around as many no longer have that, but am blessed to have some space.

Margaret- some of the communities around here have organized social distancing scavenger hunts in the plays. Different themes. The kids do projects (like draw smiley faces) post at their house. Then walking around neighborhood to count how many they find. Activities to keep the kids occupied and people smiling like the mural.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,080 Member
    Options
    Yes it a N-100 it is meant to filter out Asbestoes. Virus is on it's list of things too. Thank you for your concern.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

Here people were trying to price gouge. They will be persecuted here....

TP will come again. ...

Niece got back from Florida safely. She took me advice to stock up two weeks worth of supplies.

Make a list of things of mine to take to son's home so in case we have complete lock down I will stay there
    Donate two extra masks I used one already and will save one for son and DH. ...
    Oh Machka can't you tell them you have a loved one who needs you and you need to stay home to take care of them. Our politicians are slow to give us the firm direction to stay put. If too many in your community are still running around it will become mandatory soon enough.
    From what I saw yesterday I say will already should be in lockdown here. Unfortunately it will take about another week. Many of my friends and family are already in lockdown. I thank each one.
    :heart: Margaret

Margaret, price gouging is illegal here. They made rules on maximum price for hand sanitizer.
    I saw it coming a bit, was more wary than average here, a week or two in advance e and would buy a kilo or two of rice and beans every few days for a couple of weeks.
    I'm keeping that for if there is a real shortage of food in a month or two. we have lockdown for at least a month. probably longer.

Be sure to be ready to go very quickly, like have your bags packed.

Here they made an announcement on the lockdown Monday at 8pm, (i think) for midday Tuesday. though schools and shops had already closed and instructions to not go out were given on Saturday. but from Tuesday on people couldn't (but for rare exception) change shelters. In Italy they were annoyed that people got notice a couple of hours in advance and fled the city (and spread the virus throughout the country). Here, for sure people who have to stay home and take care of kids get sick leave, not sure about other health care things to tend to but it would seem probable. we were slow to get into lockdown here and it really makes me angry. how they could hold elections in such a situation (and online voting is not a thing here- but there is almost no risk of voter fraud here) and then lockdown the next day? i was torn, but didn't vote, choosing between 2 civic duties. i wrote to my arrondissement (district) mayor telling her that england put off their election for a year. we are on a friendly basis (not really friends but she gets around and if youngish and seems very kind and friendly and involved) and she wrote back saying she knew but hoped we voted. record number of non-voters.