March 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    @Avidkeo I read an article of a healthcare worker who is going home, going into the entryway and removing all her clothes / putting on fresh clothes left there by her husband... wiping everything she touches with Lysol wipes. Going in and sleeping / living in a separate room and keeping the 6 ft. distance.

My sister is a nurse treating Covid-19 patients and I'm sure she does none of that. There are 8 people living in her house, including my mom (who is higher risk due to her age). I'm just kinda waiting to see how soon and which people in that house end up sick. Additionally, my sister (the nurse treating patients with Covid-19) is pregnant.

If you don't keep distance, you can still be extra careful about cleaning and masks. We had been told early on that the N95 or better masks are needed to avoid breathing it in, but that even those thin paper masks are good enough for people who have it to keep from spreading it around. My understanding is that the Coronavirus is an aerosol (not airborne), so it would make sense that limiting moisture at the point of exiting from one's mouth and nose would be a good way to prevent spread.

I've been wearing mufti to work, changing into my uniform there, then changing before I leave to come home. Washing hands, or full shower if I really feel the need when I get home, and changing again when I get home, washing everything.

So that's fine for casual contact. But if I actually catch it, I'm more likely to pass it on.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Ok so my husband has suggested that I live somewhere else for the duration of the crisis. Because I am front line health, I am at huge risk of contracting it, in fact we all feel its a case of when, not if. He doesn't want to get it, and doesn't want the kids to get it. My 6yr old gets asthma, and it always kicks off worse when she's got a cold/flu. So we aren't keen on her getting it.

I admit to resisting. For a few reasons.
    1: Id feel guilty about him caring for the kids 24/7 for 3 weeks, potentially longer.
    2: I'm not that worried about the kids getting it, they will be miserable for a few days but it seems to be sparing kids. But then that guilt/stress? And if they have it, I have no choice but to stay home from work anyway
    3: and maybe this should be no one, the idea of not being with my family for that length of time, or even longer, rips out my heart.

So wise world of the MFP monthly running challenge group. Advice, suggestions?

I've emailed my manager asking what work has in place atm, work are supposed to provide accommodation for those who want to stay away from family. But won't hear until Monday.

I do not know the answer, but I do know that some of the nurses I know talk about stripping before entering the house (I assume they have a place to do that sadly) and hopping in the shower before interacting with anyone. Scrubbing down real good and putting on clean clothes. I guess it is like treating your home like an operating theater.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner here’s an article on pregnancy and the virus. I know all the info is early. thinking of your sister out there on the frontlines, not sure she has time to read anything. https://www.brief19.com/?utm_source=figure1&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=March25
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    Oh wow... I didn’t realize I was still going to start something.... I was actually trying VERY hard to do the OPPOSITE. The main reason I did the spoiler yesterday was because:
    1. i was definitely in full blown, dirty mad and rant mode. (I actually hit the “done button” once before posting, so y’all actually got the 2nd draft slightly calmer version.)
    2. I was very specifically suggesting what I thought responsible, respectful, not selfish, reasonable human beings do.
    3. I was very specifically suggesting that I have an expectation that all persons still required to show up to a work place with other persons would be exhibiting the responsible characteristics mentioned in #2.
    4. I was detailing the vast consequences a person’s actions can have, in what normally would be a no big deal situation, when they believe that they are exempt from current events.
    5. I was pointing out that even folks who seem on the surface to be skeptical of current events, may still be anxious enough that 0 to panicked happens VERY easily.
    6. And based on recent reading I learned we were not all on the same side of the above mentioned social responsibilities.
    And so, I figured I would essentially give a “trigger warning” of sorts, for those who may disagree with any of those items... or those who didn’t want to read the ranting of a mad country girl (once again, that was a calmer version, than draft 1)....an easy way to avoid it.

So, yeah... I am in full support of whatever y’all want to do. I did it as a personal choice, and did not intend to indicate anyone else should or shouldn’t do the same. But I truly hope we continue to have all of the honest, candid, emotional conversations we have always had on running, injuries, family, life, health, current events, and even hotdogs. That is what has always made this group great. It is what brings the connection. If all we did was mileage reports, I doubt any of us would still be here.

In other news, hot dogs have actually made their way on my tentative grocery list, for IF and WHEN I ever get a day off, and can get to the grocery store.

And, just to show my support for both sides of the current debate.....

I don’t care if you “KNOW” it is “just a sinus infection,” if you are SICK WITH ANYTHING RIGHT NOW, STAY THE F HOME, AND DON’T COME TO WORK!
    I don’t care if you “KNOW” it is “just a sinus infection,” if you are SICK WITH ANYTHING RIGHT NOW, STAY THE F HOME, AND DON’T COME TO WORK!

Stay healthy, happy running, and enjoy your hotdogs.
    Hopefully tomorrow y’all will actually get a run report from me?

I had hotdogs last night for the first time in forever - and, because this is what is truly controversial, for the record, with fried onions, cheese, tomato sauce and American mustard.

OMG so good! And now I want a hot dog - since we can't have the kiwi version (not that i eat them, but the kids do). For the non kiwis, the kiwi version of a hot dog is kinds like a corn dog. So hotdog, on a stick covered in batter (not corn bread) and deep fried. Served slathered in ketsup
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Ok so my husband has suggested that I live somewhere else for the duration of the crisis. Because I am front line health, I am at huge risk of contracting it, in fact we all feel its a case of when, not if. He doesn't want to get it, and doesn't want the kids to get it. My 6yr old gets asthma, and it always kicks off worse when she's got a cold/flu. So we aren't keen on her getting it.

I admit to resisting. For a few reasons.
    1: Id feel guilty about him caring for the kids 24/7 for 3 weeks, potentially longer.
    2: I'm not that worried about the kids getting it, they will be miserable for a few days but it seems to be sparing kids. But then that guilt/stress? And if they have it, I have no choice but to stay home from work anyway
    3: and maybe this should be no one, the idea of not being with my family for that length of time, or even longer, rips out my heart.

So wise world of the MFP monthly running challenge group. Advice, suggestions?

I've emailed my manager asking what work has in place atm, work are supposed to provide accommodation for those who want to stay away from family. But won't hear until Monday.

If I were in your shoes and my employer had something set up, I’d probably honor my husbands request. If he or one of the kids got really sick now that he’s made the request I’d think that would be even harder. It sounds like his request is coming from a genuinely fearful position. You might talk with him about setting up video dates with him and the kids to find ways to share mealtime together etc. You’re in a really tough situation. So much is really unknown. Hugs and prayers for you that you are able to stay safe.

My daughter is a paramedic and her employer has something set up for any of the workers who are uncomfortable going home to family due to the risk of exposure. Since her husband is also a paramedic, they are both at risk for exposure. So they felt it made more sense to just go home like normal.
  • emmamcgarity
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    Oh wow... I didn’t realize I was still going to start something.... I was actually trying VERY hard to do the OPPOSITE. The main reason I did the spoiler yesterday was because:
    1. i was definitely in full blown, dirty mad and rant mode. (I actually hit the “done button” once before posting, so y’all actually got the 2nd draft slightly calmer version.)
    2. I was very specifically suggesting what I thought responsible, respectful, not selfish, reasonable human beings do.
    3. I was very specifically suggesting that I have an expectation that all persons still required to show up to a work place with other persons would be exhibiting the responsible characteristics mentioned in #2.
    4. I was detailing the vast consequences a person’s actions can have, in what normally would be a no big deal situation, when they believe that they are exempt from current events.
    5. I was pointing out that even folks who seem on the surface to be skeptical of current events, may still be anxious enough that 0 to panicked happens VERY easily.
    6. And based on recent reading I learned we were not all on the same side of the above mentioned social responsibilities.
    And so, I figured I would essentially give a “trigger warning” of sorts, for those who may disagree with any of those items... or those who didn’t want to read the ranting of a mad country girl (once again, that was a calmer version, than draft 1)....an easy way to avoid it.

So, yeah... I am in full support of whatever y’all want to do. I did it as a personal choice, and did not intend to indicate anyone else should or shouldn’t do the same. But I truly hope we continue to have all of the honest, candid, emotional conversations we have always had on running, injuries, family, life, health, current events, and even hotdogs. That is what has always made this group great. It is what brings the connection. If all we did was mileage reports, I doubt any of us would still be here.

In other news, hot dogs have actually made their way on my tentative grocery list, for IF and WHEN I ever get a day off, and can get to the grocery store.

And, just to show my support for both sides of the current debate.....

Stay healthy, happy running, and enjoy your hotdogs.
    Hopefully tomorrow y’all will actually get a run report from me?

I had hotdogs last night for the first time in forever - and, because this is what is truly controversial, for the record, with fried onions, cheese, tomato sauce and American mustard.

OMG so good! And now I want a hot dog - since we can't have the kiwi version (not that i eat them, but the kids do). For the non kiwis, the kiwi version of a hot dog is kinds like a corn dog. So hotdog, on a stick covered in batter (not corn bread) and deep fried. Served slathered in ketsup

Yes ketchup! Mustard is evil...
  • emmamcgarity
    In running related news... I am lazy.

I didn’t run yesterday because (insert lame excuse). Then today it was 91F outside... so I didn’t run again. I plan to run tomorrow 6-7 miles if it’s a bit cooler.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Date.........Miles.......Total
    03/01.......0.00.........0.00
    03/02.......4.85.........4.85 - + Agility Class
    03/03.......4.91.........9.76
    03/04.......0.00.........9.76
    03/05.......5.77.......15.53 - + Strength Training
    03/06.......3.89.......19.42
    03/07.......1.04.......20.46 - Dog Beach run
    03/08.......7.32.......27.78
    03/09.......4.86.......32.64
    03/10.......0.00.......32.64 - + Strength Training
    03/11.......0.00.......32.64
    03/12.......0.00.......32.64 - + Strength Training
    03/13.......5.63.......38.27
    03/14.......4.80.......43.07
    03/15.......6.86.......49.93
    03/16.......4.19.......54.12
    03/17.......0.00.......54.12 - + Strength Training at Home
    03/18.......0.00.......54.12
    03/19.......4.77.......58.89
    03/20.......1.56.......60.45
    03/21.......5.95.......66.40
    03/22.......0.00.......66.40
    03/23.......6.34.......72.74
    03/24.......0.00.......72.74
    03/25.......4.74.......77.48
    03/26.......0.00.......77.48 - + Vizsla Strength Training
    03/27.......6.56.......84.04

exercise.png

2020 Run the Year Team - 2020 R.I.O.T. (Running Is Our Therapy) 454.03/1000 miles (running and walking)

2020 Planned and Completed Races
    02/02/20 - Surf City Half Marathon