Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,561 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Easter is next week. I already did get my parents upset telling them I will not be coming over for breakfast / dinner.
    Anyone else? How many do you think are going to stay home and not visit family / friends???

Definitely staying home, sad about it but we have to do this.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Easter is next week. I already did get my parents upset telling them I will not be coming over for breakfast / dinner.
    Anyone else? How many do you think are going to stay home and not visit family / friends???

Easter is on April 19 for us. How we handle it depends on how things turn out by then. Most likely we're going to celebrate it alone, but who knows, things may get better by then.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    mkculs13 wrote: »
    bmeadows380 wrote: »

WV is supposed to be doing it by packets, but I'm not sure it's going well. Parents are complaining about having to educate their children. Such as this one woman my brother overheard complaining about it, saying "that's what I send them to school for". *sigh* Supposedly, graduation and prom has been postponed to July. Personally, I kind of hope they decide to start the school year early this year, so the kids can catch up - instead of mid August, restart in mid-July or even right after the 4th. I doubt it, though.

As a teacher, I also believe that formal education should happen at school and/or with teachers unless one chooses to homeschool. But not everyone is able or willing to homeschool (obviously) for many, many reasons.

I'm wondering how many parents today were taught math like it is taught now. For example,

? = 56 + 37
    =[50 + 6] + 37
    =[50 + 6] + [30 + 7]
    = 50 + [6 +30] + 7
    = 50 + [30 + 6] + 7
    = [50 + 30] + [6 + 7]
    = 80 + 13
    = 80+ [10 + 3]
    = [80 + 10] + 3
    = 90 + 3
    = 93

I recall that the way I learned some content was very different than the way my parents learned it, and the way my kids learn it is different than the way I learned it.

It's fine if you are helping your kid with homework all along and you are seeing how they are being taught. But what happens if your child has done just fine on their own and didn't need help, and suddenly in 4th grade is struggling? There you are, trying to teach them to write

+37
    ______

And you're telling them to "carry the 1."

I would not have known about common core math at lower grades except I work with students who sometimes are at those grade levels. I had to learn quickly how to teach it the way they were already being taught. And geometry doesn't involve proofs anymore; who knew?

Maybe I'm a lot older and many of you have been taught this way--I don't know. I just know that what is taught and how it is taught changes, and a lot of folks might struggle to figure out what the heck their child is trying to do when it is obvious to the parent how to do it their own way.

That's really interesting. That definitely not how I learned to do it in school (1960s); I learned that "carry the one" thing.

But the stepwise thing is much closer to how I do arithmetic in my head, and have as a practical matter for my whole adult life. (I wouldn't do every single one of the steps you show, but I definitely simplify the addends to ones that are easier to add in my head.)

I pretty much can only do the "carry the one" method on paper, not in my head.

Apparently other people's mileage varies. :lol:

Me too. I have a friend who is a high school math teacher, and she says that as common core math was rolled out, she could tell a huge difference year to year as students were taught this more intuitive way to do math. I think most adults come to eventually do it the common core way - in spite of the appearance of longer steps, it's a mental short cut.

So, in my head: 56+37? well, 50+30 is 80, and 6+7 is 13... so 80+13 is 93... Boom. Way easier than trying to carry the 1 without a pencil and paper.

I still carry one in my head for any calculations that don't result in multiples of 10. For 58+52, for example, I add 8 and 2 (10) then add 50 and 50 (100) then add 10 (110). For everything else, I carry 1. My imagination of numbers is kind of visual. I "write" the equations in my head as I would on paper and "see" it.

I add like a bowling scorekeeper does when I add in my head. For example: 49+47. I add 50 to 47, then subtract 1 to make 96. Longer strings of numbers get added the same way. I add the first two, then add the next to that number, then the next. If I have a written list but no pencil I will do it similar to you.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    The mayor of NYC now recommends covering your nose and mouth if you have to go outside.

As has the mayor of Los Angeles
    https://patch.com/california/hollywood/all-angelenos-should-wear-masks-says-mayor-garcetti

Two "snorts". These geniuses have finally figured out the obvious.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    So much doublespeak or doubletalk. Now they're telling everyone that wearing a mask protects others from 'you' but that road runs both directions. I knew on day one that masks and gloves offer protection but there's not enough to go around. I've been improvising since the dawn came to light as I've been taking care of others for years.

@MikePfirrman Do you know if pneumonia and shingle shots offer any protection vs. having none.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    So much doublespeak or doubletalk. Now they're telling everyone that wearing a mask protects others from 'you' but that road runs both directions. I knew on day one that masks and gloves offer protection but there's not enough to go around. I've been improvising since the dawn came to light as I've been taking care of others for years.

@MikePfirrman Do you know if pneumonia and shingle shots offer any protection vs. having none.

I'm not a scientist or a doc but I don't think that either do. I think both are a good idea, but I haven't gotten either of them. I'm a strong proponent of AHCC, a mushroom derivative supplement. I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that both Shingles and Pneumococcal stem from the HPV virus, the same one that causes certain cervical cancers. AHCC is a supplement that has been clinically proven both to boost the immune system and also eradicate HPV viruses over time. I'm certainly not antivax by any wild stretch of the imagination, but I prefer AHCC, which is also fantastic in general right now. If I were a healthcare worker, I'd be taking AHCC daily. Essentially, it helps your NK and T Cells work much more efficiently and actively.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Someone in the region was ticketed yesterday ($225) for breaking the Stay at Home order. She was just driving around, supposedly, and was stopped by a cop. If she had been smarter, she would have said she was going out for a hike, but she told him she was bored and just driving to get out of the house. I wonder if that will become common or if she just was used to set an example?

Our store shelves are still remarkably empty, at least in the afternoon. No frozen vegetables, no TP or hand sanitizer, etc. They did still have their sale items on sale as usual.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    It may not be just a question of being able to afford food. I keep my diet pretty restrictive to help manage BG. It has been more and more difficult to find the food that I eat. I had been switching to just beef because I had the most success with that. Last time I went shopping, there was no beef, so I got some eggs, turkey, and cheese. Next time, there may be no animal products at all.

A couple months ago, I transitioned my cat from canned to dry food. It worked faster than planned and I still have some canned food yet. I had been putting out a can for him every once in awhile, but have decided to stop doing that and will keep the canned food in case I run out completely. It is turkey and very low carb because no gravy. I had switched to this food back when I had a diabetic cat, but he died in Oct. 2018 and I just recently decided to switch my remaining cat back to dry for cost and convenience reasons.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    It may not be just a question of being able to afford food. I keep my diet pretty restrictive to help manage BG. It has been more and more difficult to find the food that I eat. I had been switching to just beef because I had the most success with that. Last time I went shopping, there was no beef, so I got some eggs, turkey, and cheese. Next time, there may be no animal products at all.

A couple months ago, I transitioned my cat from canned to dry food. It worked faster than planned and I still have some canned food yet. I had been putting out a can for him every once in awhile, but have decided to stop doing that and will keep the canned food in case I run out completely. It is turkey and very low carb because no gravy. I had switched to this food back when I had a diabetic cat, but he died in Oct. 2018 and I just recently decided to switch my remaining cat back to dry for cost and convenience reasons.

Wait... you're gonna stock cat food to eat yourself? :noway:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,948 Member
    Options

Where do you live that you can't find meat?