Coronavirus prep

Replies

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,785 Member
    Yes the lag time on this thing is deadly. It’s why I insisted on starting remote work and other precautions a week ago after just the first case in TX. I already knew it was here but couldn’t justify to management yet
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,729 Member
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    I went to YouTube, to just watch my normal stuff but along the side was drone footage, of empty cities worldwide & it makes me wonder when this' over, how empty they'll still be because of the death toll, via this.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    mkculs13 wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    Have been offline for a few days and didn't go back to read all the comments, so apologize if this has already been brought up. Has anyone seen this story:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/fourth-member-jersey-family-dies-000305798.html

Combined with what is happening in Italy, couldn't help but wonder if people of Italian descent are somehow more genetically vulnerable to this virus. Is that possible?

Well--a lot of Chinese died too.

Italy has a higher percentage of people over 80, which is one reason suggested for their high rate of fatalities.

We have lot of smokers and the Chinese do too.

Yeah, I can't remember the exact numbers but I remember seeing a partial breakdown of Chinese deaths and it seemed pretty clear that smoking may be a significant factor.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited March 2020
    try2again wrote: »
    Have been offline for a few days and didn't go back to read all the comments, so apologize if this has already been brought up. Has anyone seen this story:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/fourth-member-jersey-family-dies-000305798.html

Combined with what is happening in Italy, couldn't help but wonder if people of Italian descent are somehow more genetically vulnerable to this virus. Is that possible?

Well--a lot of Chinese died too.

Yes, I realize that. And I'm no scientist- that's why I asked (and more like I was wondering out loud). But the fact the death rate is so high in Italy at the moment compared to other countries, and the curious fact that none of the family members in the article I quoted were said to have had underlying conditions (the mother & 3 adult children), is what prompted the question.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-death-rate-by-country-current-fatalities-compared-to-cases-2020-3
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    NYC is in a crisis... things are so bad here.

What's happening in NYC?? What's it like? Can't imagine.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,600 Member
    London has not gone into lockdown yet, but cafes, restaurants, gyms, bars, theatres were told not to re-open after tonight.

Potatoes are starting to get scarce in my bit of central London. Hubby managed to find some at the Bangladeshi supermarket. At least the ethnic grocers are still well stocked.
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    There's an ice cream truck, within my apartment complex now.