Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Well it’s official, the world is on fire - my county went from 3, to 10, to 30 in two days. Total number of tests which have been completed? 41. So 75% of local tests so far have been positive.

I thought I would share the following information shared by the Tennessee Department of Health, in case there are still young people out there thinking they don’t need to worry about this.

Ages that have been reported for confirmed patients:

10 years old or younger: 3
    Between 11 and 20 years old: 12
    Between 21 and 30 years old: 72
    Between 41 and 50 years old: 47
    Between 51 and 60 years old: 26
    Between 61 and 70 years old: 16
    Between 71 and 80 years old: 13
    At least 80 years old: 4

So the majority of cases in Tennessee are in young people. Stay home!!!!!!

In other news, the schools are closed and the free student meals which were being dropped off for those who qualify for the free lunch program have been ended, because the head nutritionist preparing the food is positive for Coronavirus. So, all the school children first, have been eating Virus Meals for who knows how long, and second, will have to do without now. I guess we’ll find out whether the experts who say you are unlikely to catch the virus through food delivery were right.

Our percentage of people tested being positive is going to be skewed because currently only those showing symptoms are being tested.

Yeah but, that means there aren’t a whole bunch of people with other illnesses thinking they have Coronavirus.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    kperk91 wrote: »
    Florida's governor just closed down all restaurants (only To-Go and Delivery allowed), all gyms, and any place with a license to sell alcohol can only sell packages drinks to-to.
    Beaches are closing - if they weren't already.

They say our total number is 520 right now.... but testing hasn't ramped up yet.

Testing hasn’t ramped because materials to make the tests aren’t readily available. Our governor (Minnesota) just finished a press conference and this was brought up. The federal government has materials and they are distributing it, but it’s slow going as all the states need them.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    For weeks - I kept reading esp on MFP - it’s just like the flu and everyone is overreacting, just wash your hands. Except - many of our industries are closed, people are out of work, Many Americans homebound — would we suffer such an economic breakdown for a disease just like the flu? Or the people who say - don’t panic it’s just an elderly affliction or for people with underlying illnesses? But don’t we all have family members who are in these categories?

I’m wondering - when everyone thinks we will return to days when we don’t social distance and we can have family gatherings without fear of illness. I’m hoping it’s sooner than I think.

To be fair, using examples of over-reaction are not exactly a good argument if you are saying that people are not over-reacting.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Well it’s official, the world is on fire - my county went from 3, to 10, to 30 in two days. Total number of tests which have been completed? 41. So 75% of local tests so far have been positive.

I thought I would share the following information shared by the Tennessee Department of Health, in case there are still young people out there thinking they don’t need to worry about this.

In other news, the schools are closed and the free student meals which were being dropped off for those who qualify for the free lunch program have been ended, because the head nutritionist preparing the food is positive for Coronavirus. So, all the school children first, have been eating Virus Meals for who knows how long, and second, will have to do without now. I guess we’ll find out whether the experts who say you are unlikely to catch the virus through food delivery were right.

Our percentage of people tested being positive is going to be skewed because currently only those showing symptoms are being tested.

Yep, it's skewed. Because of the shortage of tests before they were testing only people with "severe" symptoms or a connection to a know victim. As of the weekend they got more tests and loosened it up to anyone with symptoms (although it still requires dr paperwork and is a hassle). As I posted earlier the difference is dramatic, we've gone from 105 to 160 to 288 to 422 to 585 this week (number of cases), mostly ramping up due to more testing.

We just got a shelter in place order (my whole state, I'm in Chicago, IL), starting at 5 pm tomorrow.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

Yeah but, that means there aren’t a whole bunch of people with other illnesses thinking they have Coronavirus.

Perhaps, but it sounds like they are doing more to pre-screen people. That makes me think there is still a shortage of tests. Maybe since the USAF brought in 500K test kits from Italy (they landed in Memphis, but then distributed via FedEx), we will see more testing done. In situations where everybody is tested (border entries, cruise ship), it seems to be consistently about 50% of infected people never show symptoms. That is bad because they are carriers without knowing it, but good because the old mortality rate is actually significantly smaller when you add in the asymptomatic unfected people. That puts the mortality rate at around 0.7% of infected people, and a much smaller percentage of the entire population.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    I've been WFH starting Tues. and won't be back any earlier than April 6. But some others can't do their jobs from home (factory workers) and will end up with a temporary layoff. As we go back on different days, we were told everyone going in gets screened somehow. I assume they are going to at least take temperature, which puts me in an awkward situation. My temperature normally runs quite low, (I believe because of my thyroid issue). I wonder what they will say when they see it.

I use multiple thermometers and they are always within 0.2 degrees of each other. This was taken this afternoon, so you see why the conversation may be awkward.
    d2tf9s9gdq4p.jpg
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    @pinuplove That was very sweet. It doesn't get any better than when we all look out for the seniors. <3

There was a time when people had to barter. It's gonna come back. Eggs for butter, bread for cereal and so on.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I was just at my local grocery which was nuts due to the shelter in place order we just got, but nothing was actually low or unavailable. I think just trust in your supply chain for things like food and paper products. I'm more worried about amazon shortages for computer stuff.