Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Athijade wrote: »
    I'm done. People are jerks and need to grow up. We should be coming together as a society, not judging other people or treating them badly. No one knows the situation of another. They don't know a person's home life, their health problems, or what help they have in their lives.

My cousin had to go to the store the other day. There were things she NEEDED, not just wanted. She had been doing everything in her power to not have to go out and hadn't for quite awhile. Thing is, she also had to take her 1 year old. There was no other choice that day. What she had to deal with, not just the judgemental looks people gave her, but also the things said to her... it's just not right.

1. In parking lot, while putting baby into wrap- a lady walked over to her and told her anyone stupid enough to bring a baby to a store right now needs to have dcs take their kids.
    2. Inside store, at the end of an aisle waiting for a lady to exit aisle...she knocks her cart into her's on her way out and told her she was an f*ing moron for not leaving that baby at home
    4. A lady saw me from the end of the aisle and yelled down that she was being reckless for her daughter's health and deserved to get sick and die from this, but that she would be the one getting sick from her child instead.

What sort of people think they have the RIGHT to act like this? To say these things to anyone?

I have lost faith.

That's very unfortunate. In general I'm finding people to be more accommodating and nice right now, so that experience really sucks.

This reflects what I see too, but some people may be having issues with the stress/fear/isolation/grief and be lashing out in a way they wouldn't normally.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I was thinking of holding out one more week, when I'll probably be getting low on dairy too, and then go to see what I can find. I'd been thinking about getting ham of some kind for my home-alone Easter, but from some of the posts on here, it sounds like I might be overly optimistic. Maybe I'll find some canned or frozen pineapple and I can open a can of Spam (spiced ham in a can) and see what I can make out of it.

It really depends where you live. Early on here we were low on paper products and pasta or other dried goods in some places, and dairy in others, but never in meat. And for us things are largely back to normal in the stores now (based on my one trip plus reports on NextDoor).

This is the downside of not going to the grocery store until I really have to -- I don't have a good idea of local grocery conditions (they only reported about that on the local news in the early days; now they have so much more to talk about with new cases, deaths, masks or no masks, ventilators, what's happening in hospitals, navy ships, etc.). However, I've always been very flexible about buying what's on sale or what looks good this week, so I expect I'll be reasonably flexible about buying what happens to be available.

I've not been shopping much either, and only at my local meat market and one delivery, but NextDoor reports conditions in various local stores.

Ah. I've never signed up when they've sent me the info in the mail, because I had heard that in many neighborhoods there's a lot of negativity on NextDoor, and that the way NextDoor works, whoever happens to sign up first to run the local neighborhood NextDoor community has total control? We had an IRL neighborhood community association like that about a decade back, and it pretty much soured me on organized groups at the community level, although I enjoyed a few clean-up-the-neighborhood and neighborhood-watch-patrol before it got ugly. I just talk to my neighbors (from a safe distance these days) and go to block parties and stuff like that. Maybe the next time I pass by somebody on a walk I'll yell to them and ask them if they've been shopping lately and what it was like. :smile:

Edited to fix typo and add clarifying info

There's more good than bad there in terms of information, at least in my neighborhood and surrounding, based on my experience, but there's a lot of ridiculous judgy-ness and squabbling too (mostly pet-related in normal times, but lately about some things like how to properly socially distance when outside).

I'm not aware of whoever signing up first having total control -- ND has staff that get to make final decisions and who are the only ones who can ban posters. Neighborhood leads do have the ability to vote to close discussions (I only know this because I just looked it up), but there are various ways to become one if you want to be (I do not), and I haven't found the moderating to seem unfair.

Anyway, I'm not recommending it because I'm sure it varies neighborhood to neighborhood and I hate read it a lot of times just to be annoyed at how ridiculous people can be, but it can be very useful, can be positive, and during coronavirus I've found it helpful (it also facilitates neighbors offering help to other neighbors).

Of course, we also have an active community association (as well as block parties), and I like it more than NextDoor (have't noticed the pettier stuff there), and I volunteer with my alderman's office at times, so I'm pretty into my community-level stuff.

Talking to people from across the street if you see them when you are out (I had a brief conversation from that distance with my nextdoor neighbor who was walking her dog and say hi to my neighbors on the other side when they are out in the yard and I'm gardening or taking out the trash) works too, of course! ;-)

Thanks. I was basing my impression on an article or two I read several years back, before I ever got an invitation to to join the local one, so obviously things could have changed, either in the culture of the app or the ND rules, or what I read could have been focusing on the bad cases. Thanks for letting me know it's not all bad. Maybe next time they mail out passcodes I'll try signing in.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Just spoke to someone who lives nearby who has been grocery shopping every week and he said today was the first time he's been able to get milk, eggs, and bread in the same trip. Not TP though. I'm hoping eventually everybody will have so much TP in their homes they'll realize they need the space for other things. Like turning around.

Food wise, our stores have been more normal, but still missing some things like Ramen and whatnot. I haven't seen TP anywhere and it hasn't been restocked anywhere here as far as I know and there are signs everywhere that they don't know when they'll get any. This baffles me a bit...TP can't possible be something difficult to produce and get to market...it's weird.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    I was at the grocery today. Still no TP or frozen vegetables, but lots of meat. The bread was on sale (BOGO) so it was almost out. About 1/3 of the customers wore masks and all of the clerks. It wasn't crowded so I left my kerchief in my pocket.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,585 Member
    Options
    Someone in my neighborhood has sent a text out inviting people to a gathering in one of our pocket parks. Seriously?

We’ve seen neighbors having guests over for dinner, sitting around the fire pit, gathering on porches. And this is a high income, well educated neighborhood. SMH.

Regarding NextDoor, it was fabulous in our old neighborhood. We even caught a troublesome car burglar via ND.

In our new neighborhood, which is only eight miles away, it’s just awful. Some woman went on asking for items because she was short of cash, and had small children. She got such an overwhelming response that it turned into a request almost every week: free car repairs, needed a washer, needed help with rent, groceries. Whenever someone would try to reel her in, others would jump down their throat. Eventually all the worthwhile posters moved to a FB group and ND has been moribund ever since.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Now this is scary.

Tiger at NYC's Bronx Zoo tests positive for coronavirus

https://flip.it/3Pj6vX
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Someone in my neighborhood has sent a text out inviting people to a gathering in one of our pocket parks. Seriously?

We’ve seen neighbors having guests over for dinner, sitting around the fire pit, gathering on porches. And this is a high income, well educated neighborhood. SMH.

Regarding NextDoor, it was fabulous in our old neighborhood. We even caught a troublesome car burglar via ND.

In our new neighborhood, which is only eight miles away, it’s just awful. Some woman went on asking for items because she was short of cash, and had small children. She got such an overwhelming response that it turned into a request almost every week: free car repairs, needed a washer, needed help with rent, groceries. Whenever someone would try to reel her in, others would jump down their throat. Eventually all the worthwhile posters moved to a FB group and ND has been moribund ever since.

Are you in North Dakota? I have cousins, aunts, and uncles in South Dakota and they're still touting that this is a Biden or otherwise Democrat fix and a hoax. I don't want to get political at all, but that is bothersome. They seriously think Biden infected the entire world to get elected and that is their entire political position at this point..,

🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️