Coronavirus prep

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited April 2020
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    So much doublespeak or doubletalk. Now they're telling everyone that wearing a mask protects others from 'you' but that road runs both directions. I knew on day one that masks and gloves offer protection but there's not enough to go around. I've been improvising since the dawn came to light as I've been taking care of others for years.

@MikePfirrman Do you know if pneumonia and shingle shots offer any protection vs. having none.

I'm not a scientist or a doc but I don't think that either do. I think both are a good idea, but I haven't gotten either of them. I'm a strong proponent of AHCC, a mushroom derivative supplement. I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that both Shingles and Pneumococcal stem from the HPV virus, the same one that causes certain cervical cancers. AHCC is a supplement that has been clinically proven both to boost the immune system and also eradicate HPV viruses over time. I'm certainly not antivax by any wild stretch of the imagination, but I prefer AHCC, which is also fantastic in general right now. If I were a healthcare worker, I'd be taking AHCC daily. Essentially, it helps your NK and T Cells work much more efficiently and actively.

No comment on prophylactic supplements, but about the bolded:

There are multiple HPVs (Human PapillomaVirus): Dozens, probably over 100. It's a family of viruses, similarly to the way Coronaviruses are a family. There are multiple STDs (sexually transmitted diseases) that are HPVs (about 40). Some of those cause genital warts. Some of those cause cervical cancer. Some HPVs can cause lung infections.

Each type, as a generality, causes distinct diseases, or clusters of diseases, but all the HPVs are not one thing, just as some types of the common cold are Coronaviruses, but are not the same thing as the novel Coronavirus that causes COVID-19.

Chicken pox and shingles are Varicella zoster, not an HPV. IMU, it's a herpes virus (also a larger family, which includes some STDs, but the STDs are not Chicken Pox or Shingles).

I know this is off-topic to the thread, for which I apologize, but there's so much dysfunctional information circulating in the world about HPVs (and the HPV vaccination), and Varicella (and the Shingles vaccination), that I didn't want to let this unclarity pass without comment.

Thanks Ann for the clarification. Like I said, I wasn't sure about Pneumococcal. I didn't imply anywhere that Covid-19 was an HPV. Also, there is a human clinical trial already on if AHCC, which as I mentioned kills HPV, can prevent (I should say reduce the chances of getting) Covid-19, which aren't the same thing, I realize. What that trial will find out, who knows. But at this point they are throwing lots of prescription pills at it without any clinical proof.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Now, huge numbers of people who normally go out to workplaces daily are staying home. Substantial numbers of the 20% of people who've used 80% of the supply are now using home TP instead of industrial-roll TP.

When I was last at Costco (3 weeks?) home TP was out of stock, but there were still cases of the bigger industrial rolls. Coincidence?

( :lol::lol::lol: <== please note LOLs, and refrain from arguing the point logically. I'm joking. Mostly.)

ETA, with some extra :lol: : Not two minutes after I typed the above, I heard an NPR story (on All Things Considered) in which they mentioned that the shift from workplace to home TP was probably one (small) factor in the TP demand, though far from the most important one. Weird coincidence!

That makes sense. I actually heard that if you go downtown (which is mostly a business district) it's easy to find. Happily, I am not currently in need.
  • lemurcat2
    jo_nz wrote: »
    Someone in the region was ticketed yesterday ($225) for breaking the Stay at Home order. She was just driving around, supposedly, and was stopped by a cop. If she had been smarter, she would have said she was going out for a hike, but she told him she was bored and just driving to get out of the house. I wonder if that will become common or if she just was used to set an example?

Our store shelves are still remarkably empty, at least in the afternoon. No frozen vegetables, no TP or hand sanitizer, etc. They did still have their sale items on sale as usual.

This is super silly. People driving around aren’t in contact with each other. I don’t know if this is true in Memphis, but in Southaven the mayor pointed out that he encourages people to drive around to keep from going nuts.

From what we are being recommended here, it's not silly at all.
    Basically, the more you drive around the greater chance of needing maintenance on your car, more fuel stops (potential contact with virus at the pump), more chance of breakdown or road accidents. If something happens, someone then has to risk exposure by going out to help.

We are expected to only drive to supermarkets/pharmacies/medical centres, or of course essential workers going about their jobs.
    Unlike spiriteagle99's suggestion, we couldn't even get away with saying we are heading out for a hike...we are expected to only walk locally near our homes.
    Though from the traffic on the roads when I walk the dog, I am sceptical that everyone is following the expectations.

Right, that was my thought, especially avoiding unnecessary accidents. I do have to eventually drive my car to keep it operational, so will go to a grocery store that's slightly farther than my closest ones when I do, but I understand that we are being discouraged from driving too (although I have no fear that I will be arrested for doing so).
  • lemurcat2