WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2020

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,860 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I can't predict what will actually happen, but ...

Coronavirus across the world: What happens next?
    More than a billion people are stuck in their homes, wondering when their normal lives will return. When will it end? That depends.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-across-the-world-what-happens-next/news-story/d766f867a5a7304f5ddd775d0cbbf1e3

"We can only hit the streets again in the same way we did back in January once some 80 per cent of the population has resistance to COVID19.

And you only get that once you’ve had the disease and recover.

Or, you get a vaccination."

Coronavirus Australia: How long will we have to stay in our homes
    The month of March felt like an eternity. But the outlook of how long we will actually spend in our homes this year comes down to one big factor.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-australia-how-long-will-we-have-to-stay-in-our-homes/news-story/3e215ebb6070ebb75e212961e40eb488

"By choking the virus’s spread, hard-pressed health authorities may be able to get on top of the disease. They will be able to isolate identified cases and track down all of those who may have been exposed. They will have time and resources to develop new treatments and, eventually, a vaccine.

None of this will eliminate COVID19.

But it will dramatically sap its strength.

And a weakened presence in our community will bring about the opportunity for a carefully monitored relaxing of isolation and physical distancing measures."

Now my comments on herd immunity ...

On Herd Immunity ...

1) Herd immunity assumes that we would indeed develop an immunity to the virus, but we don't know if that's possible or not yet. The jury is still out.

2) Herd immunity puts a lot of pressure on the medical system. Even if only 5% of the population gets it seriously, that's about 2 million Canadians, 16 million Americans or 1.2 million Australians ... roughly all at once.

Hospitals are designed to run most efficiently when they are somewhere about 75% full so they are designed to be about that full (I've read articles about this in my line of work, and there's a more exact number than that, but it's somewhere between 70 and 80%). It's so that they are using what they've got (wards aren't standing empty) and so that there is some room for small surges such as a winter flu season.

Unfortunately some hospitals run over that percentage because there isn't the money, for one reason or another, to build another hospital, another ward, or whatever.

Using Canada as an example ...
    • If you suddenly throw 2 million+ people into the hospital system ... hospitals aren't designed for that.
    • A hospital with 1000 beds running with 800 or 900 beds full can only provide 100-200 beds.
    • On a Google search, there are only about 1400 hospitals in Canada, if each can provide 200 beds, that's only 280,000 beds ... roughly a sixth of what might be needed.

That's why we are doing this shutdown/lockdown/social distancing business and spreading it out ... so that the hospitals can cope with it and provide the best possible care and hopefully ensure that the most number of people possible live until a vaccine is ready.

Meanwhile, more facilities are being prepared (here in Australia at least) in case the virus spreads more quickly than hoped or perhaps to let it spread a bit more quickly. We'll wait and see.

And, as the articles above indicate, chances are we will remain on some sort of shutdown/lockdown/social distancing for months to come ... quite possibly long enough for "old normal" to change to a "new normal".

On New Normal ...

Personally I'm hoping some things last from this such as:
    • Cleaning. I've observed my city go from being quite a neat and tidy place when I visited in 2004 and 2009, to a rather rundown dirty place in 2019. I'm hoping that all the cleaning continues.
    • Online. I'm hoping that we are given the option of doing work and education online.
    • Businesses. I'm hoping businesses develop more of an online presence. Most do have something but I'm hoping they're taking this time to really develop that.
    • Human-powered transportation. I'm seeing all sorts of people out and about walking and cycling, and I hope that continues. I hope people will use themselves for transportation rather than motor vehicles as much as possible.

And there's even an article about the New Normal ... I've just read it and it is well worth reading ...

How coronavirus could forever change the look and feel of Australia's cities and suburbs
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-11/how-coronavirus-could-forever-change-our-cities-and-suburbs/12137122

Machka in Oz
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Machka, your kitty with the "snack" in it's mouth brought to mind the first cat our kids really knew. On separate occasions, he was standing outside our patio door with a small rat and then a garter snake in its mouth. I had to break his little heart when I wouldn't let him inside to present us with his trophy! I forgot, he brought us a bird one time too! He got in the house with that one, hubby called me over, said he would keep the cat back, it was up to me to get rid of the "dead" bird. Well, as soon as I touched the bird with the dustpan, it proved just how alive it was! I can sort of laugh now, but at the time..... Oh My!
    Michele, my sincerest wishes for a speedy recovery for Vince.
    Rita, you, my dear, are made of sterner stuff than I! I could not do laundry by hand like that. Light clothing, undies and stuff like that, okay, towels and sheets... no thanks! lol Thanks for the photos of the desert flowers, quite lovely!
    Suzi, keep those funnies coming! And don't worry about offending me if any F-bombs drop! I worked in a pub for the better part of 20 years, heard it all, said most of it!
    I had a brief meet up in a parking lot with our older son, we wanted to exchange goods. We kept good distance, it was so nice to see and talk to him, but sure didn't like not being able to hug him. The worst part was our grandkids were in the vehicle and I couldn't give them hugs either. I didn't even get close enough to get a good look at them because I knew that would end poorly. Sure miss them!
    Went for a bike ride today, ended up going 12.89 km, that works out to just over 8 miles. Biking to work tomorrow, looking forward to that! It's just over 10 km each way so that will be a good work out for me!
    So many comments I wanted to make, but memory has failed. Please keep those pet and baby photos coming!
    Wishing everyone a happy and safe Easter weekend!
    Evelyn, enjoying the sunshine on Vancouver Island

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Rebecca: I shop at two local stores. In both cases I take in my durable plastic bags. When I get to the checkout stand, I go to the end of the stand and bag my own groceries. The stores here are fine with that. I also wear a mask and gloves at all times while in the store. It works well for me. You could ask about it. They might say no, but they also might say yes. Do the baggers at your store wear gloves and masks? If they don’t, how are you being protected? :flowerforyou:

Lanette: I have been walking with the dog & DH. We have shopped at our local Safeway and IGA for most things. Walmart gets a share of our business, too. Most of the time I get dog food there. :star:

Rori: I’m glad to hear things are going well. It is good to hear that DH has been mellow. :heart: Mars is a very photogenic kitty. :star:

Machka: The Governor of Oregon has closed all the schools until September. The schools in our area still provide lunches that can be picked up by the kids. :star:

(((Michelle))): I hope you are able to bring Jake home soon. I’m glad your daughter Jess is there with you. :heart:

(((Marianne WV)))

We seem to be getting through and staying sane. We’ve taken a couple of walks in our neighborhood. This is new for DH and I’m delighted he’s going along. The dog and I walk, & DH rides his mobility scooter. We now have our recumbent bikes set up on trainers in the garage so that we can use them to burn calories in good weather or bad, any time of day or night. There are wheel blocks on the front wheels and a tension roller on the back to create a good workout for our legs. On our walk today we spotted an osprey couple in their nest at the end of the road. When we got home I looked across the river from us and spotted another osprey in its usual nest. I've been looking for them so that put a smile on my face. :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,205 Member
    Options
    We don't have baggers in the UK unless you ask for them. We are only allowed in the store one in one out. Just a few people in there. Well spaced. Tape marked out. I haven't been to a big supermarket since all this began, just our tiny one. Mostly I use local shops with only one or two people allowed in.
    I bring my own trolley, a bag on wheels. I put everything in there. When I get to the cashier I take it all out and put it on the checking shelf. She checks it and I put it all back in my trolley. I try not to touch anything for at least 24 hours, or I swab it with alcohol. There are screens up in front of the cashiers.

Machka - Yes, the idea is, we are nearly all going to get it eventually, unless there is a vaccine. The idea is that we should not all die at once, or at least, not get really sick all at once. That would overwhelm the health service, funeral homes etc. How we get out of lockdown is a question I am glad I do not have to provide the answer to. Basically it involves staggering the amount of deaths and really sick to keep it operationally manageable. Part of me wishes I had caught it when my friends did, early on, to get it over with, instead of just waiting to catch it some time in the future.
    I am fearful of the economic future. That is really my worry. And for the poor people of the world, who will be plunged into even worse suffering.
    Then I console myself with the thought that my deliberations on what I would do if I were queen of the world are neither here nor there as no one is listening to me grinding my brain cogs.....
    I just stay in the moment and relish every bit of my life as it comes to me. I keep on writing. I keep on exercising so I can enjoy that portion of my life that I have left.
    Today we would have been setting off on our cruise to Norway. Strangely, I don't feel too sad about that.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @exermom Michele glad to hear that the heart rate is better and that you got news.

@cityjaneLondon Heather Here they closed the beaches quickly. It sounds like your quarantined life is good.

@trucker743 Sharon, yes it's true, moving a little is more energizing than doing nothing. i think i had a minor minor bug and just resting a full day helped. i never sleep all day which is what i mostly did on Wednesday, so if i did it's that i really needed to recuperate i think. i tend to think now just Covid19 or nothing, whereas the other minor or chronic things are still there. here many dr's appointments are canceled except if real emergency. apparently dentists are not allowed to practice unless your pain is 7 or more on scale of 1-10 and some other emergencies. a broken tooth doesn't count as emergency.

@Barbiecat i was going to ask about home haircuts. good for you.

@Machka9 school is continuing online here too, and also in person for essential workers. i was thinking about in-person classes for all from nursery school to higher ed. i hope it starts again in September. i'd be very surprised if it happens before the,

@JRsLateInLifeMom Amber i agree with that comic about the dishes, trash and sweeping always to do.

The physical distance shopping seems to work pretty well here. i rarely see people huddling or crowding. people are really taking this seriously at the shopping places i've been to. in france the usual social distance in normal times is much smaller than in the usa. here using one's own bags or caddies (many city folk have them) is recommended. We don't have baggers and bag ourselves though. Today they were squirting hand cleaner on people's hands as they arrived. i was gloved so didn't need it.

I had thought last week was easter! i had bought some little chocolate eggs. -i was in advance.

today i found a GF pastry i can eat while walking by a bakery: meringue, cream, strawberries and raspberries (no gluten) and bought a 1 person portion. i forgot that i don't know how fruit and stuff were handled. i have been avoiding unwashable fruit and take-away since i don't know how it's handled; i doubt that all handlers constantly have gloves and masks. i eat bananas, apples (can wait a few days) have some organges, and i heat or steam berries before i eat them now.

i went for early walk starting at 6:40 am or so. on way back a grocery shop was opening so i went in (there was no line, i only waited 3 minutes instead of 1h last time), i hadn't planned to go but had glove left. (i had left w two but had petted a cat with one and then threw it away). got some basics.

And i bought a few plants for the balcony at the grocery store. a tiny rose bush, a small geranium and tiny lavender bush.

i'm thinking more of eating than usual, out of boredom: it can be pleasure and entertainment. i'm usually more out and about and i think less of eating.

washing clothes more too, i hope the old washer holds out.

wishing you courage and health
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    ...and True Colors from Camden Choir:

https://youtu.be/lqWQCWc_zCc

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Has anyone heard from Allie?
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,205 Member
    Options
    Lisa - Lovely Levi! <3<3<3

Hoping to do a Zoom this afternoon at 3pm with the grandkids. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hello all of you lovely ladies.

It has been quite busy here. Lots to comment on. I have been keeping up everyone’s days. I love the memes I have gotten quite a few chuckles over the past few days. There are so many creative people out there. Most of you recall the “Little Debby” meme I posted. One of my decades-long friend has been posting daily posts with a box of Little Debby pastries and how she is coping with her shelter in place orders. The day before yesterday she was sitting in the car with the car keys….the caption was, Little Debby is trying to break away, she is tired of sitting around the house. Yesterday’s picture was Little Debby hanging out of the post box with the caption she is getting desperate, she is trying to get the US Postal Service to take her away. It has been amusing seeing what Little Debby is up to…..

JanetR – I am so sorry about the theft at your home. I just cannot understand why some people do the things that they do.

Luci – I am putting this in a spoiler because it is a little personal. Here is how I have been coping with conserving of TP….and, after typing this out I saw you scored! Yeah….keeping it in here for conservation ideas.
    I found some no frills tissues. No dyes, no scent, no lotion. Tissues are being use for #1 and thrown in the wastebasket.
    I found some flushable wipes. Please note my plumber has told me on numerous occasions even the flushable wipes should be tossed in the wastebasket because they take too long to break down and do clog the pipes. I used a few sheets of TP to clean the majority of my bowel movements and then use a wipe or two to handle the rest.
    After three weeks of conserving TP I started thinking, heck if I trimmed my hair there would be less accumulation. I typically do keep it short during bathing suit time and have a small cordless hair trimmer (one made for men’s beards they are much smaller than the hair trimmer ones). I trimmed everything down and have found I only need 4-5 sheets of TP and one or two wipes and I am good to go.
    I was using washcloths for pee, but it got to be too much doing laundry every other day or so. I will resort to that if I run out of no frills tissues.
    Sorry if this is TMI but let’s face it – we all have these conversations with our friends. It is just a little weird typing it out.
    I hope you do find some – it has been crazy here in SFL. I keep missing it by a day!

Bananas – I am finding my work calls are longer than usual. The kids and the adults are feeling the same.

Penny – Your mentioning of salmon for Easter dinner made me crave it. While at Costco I picked up some Wild Smoked Coho salmon. I am so looking forward to it! It is something I can eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Ginny – I have actually been thinking about what is going to happen when we have to go back to the office. We all sit in very close proximity to each other. If I were to sit with my belly touching the furthest point away from the cube next to me (there is no dividing wall) and my co-worker were to do the same we would be 3.5 feet away from each other. I am going to suggest an every other day remote schedule. We have proven we can work remote and it is just plain darn safer keeping people safe distances apart. It is my hope facilities managers start to realize squeezing people like sardines is not good for anyone’s mental or physical health.

Amber – Love the memo with the guy using his hood on his hoodie as a popcorn bowl! LOL.

Kim – I am so glad that by speaking your truth resulted in work and orders! You are certainly surrounded by good people which is a reflection of your goodness.

Terri – I love your Easter arrangements.

Karen VA – The picture you posted is breath-taking. It’s amazing how people can find such beauty in their everyday lives.

Lisa – I have to agree with you, but feel the attitude is greater in the US. During/after 911 everyone’s thinking was the same – we never thought it would hit our shores. And, now this. It’s easy to ignore the countries dealing with some form of horrible diseases such as Ebola because it is so far away from us. The one takeaway I hope for is everyone starts to become more aware of how very fortunate we are here with access to grocery stores, medical assistance, and some type of means of obtaining assistance. No, not easy for everyone and there are many who suffer here even in the best of times, but it is one of the better places to live. Oh, I can smell the ham broth simmering away. Such a nostalgic odor. Oh, Levi – so cute!

Machka – Lovely apples. So glad DH is trying out new things. Beautiful pictures. Love the cat waiting to go in to the grocery store – smart kitty!

Annie – Hug.

Michelle – So sorry about the scare with Vince. It has to be additionally stressing since you cannot go to the hospital with him.

Rory – Mars is one handsome cat. Big hug to you.

Marianne – Hugs. We all need a day to regroup and recharge.

Heather – Enjoy your Zoom session.

I have been hearing and reading of the declines in cases. I think we all have to remember not everyone is being tested and there are many who may be home sick, but not sick enough to seek medical help. I am afraid we are going to get complacent and will see spikes. For those of you who only have one or two cases, just a mere few weeks ago we only had one case here in Broward County. We now have almost 3,000 cases with 72 deaths. We have had 199 confirmed case from yesterday. This is not, I repeat not just going away any time soon. We all must remain vigilant regardless of the statistics even when things start loosening.

The time has come for me to get started with my day. I am probably going to make another quick trip out for my endless search of TP. I will be masked up and will follow all protocols. It is really a tiring process and this will be my last trip out for at least 7 to 10 days. Will make do.

Hugs and prayers to all.
    SuziQ – SFL
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I think COVID19 is more like the Spanish Flu than the black plague, in terms of mortality.

Looking for positive points is great. Complacency is dangerous.

In late February we had almost no cases in France. Everyone was living pretty normally till around march 7 or so. Just a month ago. Look at us now. And the government concedes that all deaths to date don't yet appear in daily tallies. Every 2 or 3 days they add an extra past 500-800 or so deaths that they had omitted from the daily tallies. (only deaths occuring in hospitals- not nursing homes, streets, home or elsewhere) are totally counted. Little by little they have been adding part of deaths in nursing and retirement homes, but not all yet. This is not a conspiracy theory but fact announced by the prime minister in a speech 2 weeks ago.

@SuziQ113 one researcher i know i try to call 1x a week. in general she can go on and on and on. it seems moreso now. i find it hard to get off the phone gracefully sometimes. with the students the conversations are much more interesting and full of thoughtful exchange.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,540 Member
    Options
    I