Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Well they changed their minds about closing our parks due to folks gathering in large numbers,but we got a stern warning. I don’t think the warnings will work he should have just shut it down like he first said he was going to do.Oh well time will tell. Their saying closed Easter for parks but through the grape vine hearing it will probably be open. Hubby said No signs posted yet so will see. He’s hoping folks don’t flock to the parks for Easter since they have been going against social distancing making more work cops are having to give citations y warnings even at apartments for groups of people.
    https://www.sacurrent.com/the-daily/archives/2020/03/30/mayor-nirenberg-to-san-antonio-stop-congregating-in-parks-during-outbreak-or-well-close-them

Time will tell.

I saw an article saying estimation of 1/3rd of USA could not pay their apartment rents for April. Hopefully they’ll work with people maybe a payment plan even.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    7cxofdmx4gc7.png

Is this a current photo? Where? Terrible if so.

I'm pretty sure it's a stock photo from several years ago. I'm not sure what the point was to post it without comment.

Yeah. When I went to Yellowstone a few years back, there was still snow on the ground in late May/early June, and most people were wearing jackets. I'm guessing that's a photo from July or August.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Supposed to rain on Easter here, so that should help with any potential outdoor gathering.

I know a few people who had Zoom seders for Passover, and I hope everyone who is feeling like they will miss their extended family Easter gatherings will do the same.

My city has released cases by zip code, and the area (pretty close to me) that has the highest number of identified cases to date is a neighborhood with a high Orthodox Jewish population, and apparently one of the explanations is that there were Purim gatherings (including one huge one with 500 people which is the suspected source for many cases) there for the holiday, just before everyone started to cancel everything and shut down (I recall everything started to get cancelled here on 3/11, and most everything was by 3/13, including the St Patrick's Day parades that would have been that weekend, although lots of people were packing the bars anyway -- they got shut down on 3/16, I think). So I really hope people don't feel a need to congregate on Easter.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    It looks like the day after Easter in the candy aisle. Not much to speak of at all. Not a jelly bean in sight.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I was feeling moderately safe(probably misguidedly so) in my small home town where 20 miles away in another small town right across the border, it's like a shopping mecca due to a WalMart going in many many years ago. But then I called the vet today about my dog and we got way off track. He enlightened me there are positive cases here, as well as they're shifting some of the lesser violent criminals out of our local correctional center to make room for Covid-19 positive prisoners from other facilities. And as he said, 'we' all know people who work there(including the guy who's installing our new furnace this summer). :/
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    People are starting to feel it here. A substantial subset of workers are daily workers who earn per job/project/day of work and are not salaried, so no works means no money. Salaried workers are fine because they're being paid even if they aren't working from home and companies are not allowed to arbitrarily lay off employees.

They're planning to gradually open some sectors, starting with factories. For now, they're only allowing foreign workers who live in factory compounds to work at 40% capacity. Things have been going well so far, but I hope it won't get worse when more sectors start operating and more actively social people start working. Many people don't care to keep a safe distance.
    bldin5wqnn5p.png

This may be different from country to country. Here in the U.S., we salaried employees can still be laid off temporarily and not paid. Where I work, there are many in that category next week. We make parts for cars, and since auto manufacturers (our customers) are shut down, so are we. The plant I used to work at (same company, different division) makes auto parts also, but a different type of product. Unlike my current plant, their parts are also used in equipment of all kinds. They had a sudden business increase because one of their parts is used to make a ventilator.

Fortunately I am still WFH next week (all of us salary employees had a temporary pay cut, though), but much of the administrative staff even is laid off for the next week.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Here in Italy 3 weeks of lockdown and it's been extended to May 3rd. The government keeps pushing opening back, saying "Just a little more". I think it's because they don't know what to do. Many businesses will have to stay closed for a longer time, including hairdressers, gyms :'( , and coffee bars. These are places with close personal contact.

There is a need to know who has antibodies and is no longer contagious. It was asked why it takes so long for the results of the test. Because it takes 2 weeks after being cured to do the test, then wait another 2 weeks to retake it because many in that time frame test positive again. So it takes a month or more.

Our new cases here are in decline, which is good news. Fewer patients are in intensive care. For the Easter weekend there is a crackdown on movement. Roadblocks are everywhere but especially on roads leading out of the city. No transfering to second homes in the country or beach. Helicopters will be checking for large groups on the roofs of buildings.

Even though New Zealand is tracking really well, I won't be at all surprised if we stay in lockdown past the initial four week period, just because they want to be sure it's well enough under control that we're not just going it end up going into lockdown again, and that there are no unknown pockets where it's quietly bubbling away.