Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Wonder if they could still use the drug on the ones who have a severe case of Covid but no history of major health issues still?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    An acquaintance of mine through other friends has just recovered. He was two weeks in hospital with 11 days in ICU in induced coma on a ventilator. Pretty healthy guy of 38 years old. He just got out on Saturday. Our mortality numbers have jumped 55% in the last two days. Currently 1,345 positive cases out of 31,970 tests. 31 deaths now with 87 in the hospital. 304 recovered as designated by DOH.

I'd be really curious to know how many of those hospitalized are in ICUs...the last time I looked, we had around 54 ICU beds available in the state, but that is always a rolling number and I can't find it anywhere now.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I'm going to try very hard to keep this nonpolitical, in the hope that it will be acceptable according to MFP usage terms.

I think it's worth sharing from a human behavior standpoint.

Here in Michigan, various people feel that the governor/state government is not handling the coronavirus crisis properly (in various ways). One segment is organizing a protest in the state capital (Lansing), in which they hope to achieve a major, noisy traffic jam to oppose what state government is doing. I've heard about this from multiple sources, some in favor and others in opposition to the protest.

I have an opinion about this, of course . . . but I'm not sharing it, because that would be political. I think this is interesting, in a non-partisan sense, as an insight to how people may think about protest and civil disobedience in this kind of situation. In this post, I'm not urging others to support or oppose Michigan's policies, or this protest.

Nothing in the graphic I'm posting takes a clear partisan political perspective. It just describes the organization of the protest.

In my understanding, this is what is proposed:

r7br1i5qdokh.png

Please keep any replies non-political.
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely another example of how complex the mind is.

Let's use my co worker who believes chapmans is to blame... I asked him if anything else was also in his freezer at the time this happened and he told me yes, so I asked him why he didnt think any of those other things also contributed to the power surge, and he said because the ice cream was just bought and was new.

I thought that was kind of interesting.. lol.. that would mean that he would have to believe that that whole line of ice cream comes with bad luck not just the specific ones he picked.. and also, if there was no relating stories from others, as I imagine if everyone's appliances all exploded after putting chapmans ice cream in the freezer, it would be on the news lol.. how come he is so sure it was chapmans.. what about the lightning storm we were having? Would that power surge not of happened if he had put a no name brand in his freezer instead? Or would be then think it was the no name? Lol
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77

What are they unhappy about? What is happening in Michigan?
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 my first thought is that expecting people who are upset about the lockdown to show up but adhere to all those rules is... unrealistic. Those looking for the quarantine to end most likely feel the costs outweight the benefit because they think the risks are overblown in the first place.

Also I've never been in gridlock traffic where it was easy to get out of the way of emergency vehicles. I would hope that even with good intentions they don't end up slowing down any such vehicles. Not knowing the area though I'm not sure if there's any real danger of that.

Considering how universally annoying sitting in traffic is, I'm curious how many people will voluntarily put themselves into a purposeful traffic jam in order to theoretically make a point!

Personally, I think the extra risks of drawing people together like that, possible accidents, crowds forming, frustrated drivers, extra work for law enforcement etc is a bad idea.

As background:

Traffic jams are not normally a big deal here, unless an accident/closure/road conditions back things up temporarily. There are two high-travel freeway segments in the city that have very short quasi-traffic jams (mostly slowdowns) at rush hours (I'd say for less than half an hour twice a day), without some unusual conditions. I believe they intend to head toward the capitol building, which is surrounded by 2 to 4 lane surface roads, some of them one-way. If there are enough cars, it will be possible to create gridlock there, especially when intending to do that.

I know some people who've implied that they will go to this (by posting positive things about it in social media). I didn't try to confirm their plans.

If I learn anything useful about how popular/well-attended this was, or how people behaved, I'll report back after the fact, if it makes sense, assuming there's politically-neutral information that can be shared. If it turns out to be heavily-attended, I'd be surprised if there wasn't national coverage.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    @AnnPT77

I can't really answer that, I think, without being partisan/political. If you Google the #hashtag in the graphic, you'll see many reports - probably mostly from supporters - about what's going on.

The protestors do not support the state government's current orders, which have locked things down quite tightly for a now-extended period (I believe until the end of April, at this point), allowing only fairly narrowly-defined "essential businesses" to be open. Among people I know, those supporting the protest were not fans of the current administration even before this. Supporters predict 15,000 or more will show up.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    That is an odd one, Krissy.

I'm descended from Chapmans. I should call him. :lol: His car would probably die.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    As of yesterday we're officially homeschooling with google classroom. It's pretty sucky. When the teachers were initially talking to us about this it sounded like it would be a couple of hours per day, but they've rolled out entire daily assignments as if they were back in the classroom. Very difficult to keep up as both my wife and are are working from home most of the time and we still have to work and meet our deadlines, etc. We're doing the best we can, but there's no way we can keep up with what is actually being sent out while working full time.

I feel like these expectations are so unfair to parents.

I wonder whether, on average, this will translate, post-crisis, to better support for schools in appreciation of what they do; or to (essentially) punishing them for over-burdening parents in what is already a difficult time.

(Either way, I'm not suggesting the result would be planned, considered behavior - wonder more what the subtle influence on attitudes will be, and how that may translate into voting decisions on future school funding, for example.)
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Options
    That is an odd one, Krissy.

I'm descended from Chapmans. I should call him. :lol: His car would probably die.

🤣🤣🤣

He would probably believe that to happen if someone mentioned it, he would be paranoid all day
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77

Not sure about Michigan, but there have been grumblings here in NM and I've seen some talk of similar things though nothing to the extent of planning an actual protest. There are a lot of people here who think the measures taken were too stringent since we have 1,345 cases and 31 deaths as of current, and most of those are in Bernalillo and Sandoval Counties which are largely comprised of the Albuquerque/Rio Rancho metro area.

What a lot of people fail to realize is that our numbers are low because we locked things up pretty quickly and if that hadn't happened, our numbers would be much higher. That said, I can certainly understand the grumblings of the many in small rural settings that have had there already limited options shuttered for something that isn't particularly prevalent or completely non-existent in their communities.

It is also hard for people to understand shuttering everything up when good chunk of our new cases (around 100ish +/- per day) are occurring in places like assisted living facilities, nursing homes, and with infected health care professionals. Basically, if you live outside of the ABQ metro, Santa Fe, or Las Cruces, all of this seems insane and people are starting to get pissed off.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    As of yesterday we're officially homeschooling with google classroom. It's pretty sucky. When the teachers were initially talking to us about this it sounded like it would be a couple of hours per day, but they've rolled out entire daily assignments as if they were back in the classroom. Very difficult to keep up as both my wife and are are working from home most of the time and we still have to work and meet our deadlines, etc. We're doing the best we can, but there's no way we can keep up with what is actually being sent out while working full time.

I feel like these expectations are so unfair to parents.

I wonder whether, on average, this will translate, post-crisis, to better support for schools in appreciation of what they do; or to (essentially) punishing them for over-burdening parents in what is already a difficult time.

(Either way, I'm not suggesting the result would be planned, considered behavior - wonder more what the subtle influence on attitudes will be, and how that may translate into voting decisions on future school funding, for example.)

Yes, I don't think teachers are necessarily getting a fair deal either. If the expectation is that kids don't lose *any* progress, then teachers are in a difficult situation where they're essentially having to create assignments assuming that parents will take on the full-time work of teaching. Nobody wins here.

Teachers are over-burdening parents (in many cases) because the expectations for what will be accomplished during this period are inherently unrealistic. The teachers aren't generating this, they're being treated unfairly too.

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Holy moly, the Gov of Michigan has gone too far.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    An acquaintance of mine through other friends has just recovered. He was two weeks in hospital with 11 days in ICU in induced coma on a ventilator. Pretty healthy guy of 38 years old. He just got out on Saturday. Our mortality numbers have jumped 55% in the last two days. Currently 1,345 positive cases out of 31,970 tests. 31 deaths now with 87 in the hospital. 304 recovered as designated by DOH.

I'd be really curious to know how many of those hospitalized are in ICUs...the last time I looked, we had around 54 ICU beds available in the state, but that is always a rolling number and I can't find it anywhere now.

At that covidtracking site they have the information for the states who have been releasing it. Looks like NM is not.

As of yesterday, IL had 3680 in the hospital with coronavirus, with 1166 of those in the ICU. 821 of them were on ventilators. (For comparison, that's was with 22,025 positives and 794 deaths, yesterday's numbers; today there are 1222 more cases and 74 more deaths, but the hospital stuff hasn't been updated yet.)
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Options
    Sometimes I dont understand people..

Here in nova scotia all municipal parks, trails and beaches are closed and have been for 3 weeks now.

The city has made a pathway with orange flags Indicating where people can walk to travel passed but they're not allowed to stop or gather, it's just essential travel.

The other day a guy got ticketed for walking in the park that wasnt on the designated path. He claims he saw the path was closed off with caution tape and he ducked under it, claiming now he was confused about if he was okay to walk there.

Hes going to challenge the ticket.. but.. if the tape was there and you went under it... and you knew the park was closed, can you really claim you didnt understand? Especially when this is your usual route of travel for the last 6 years?