What was the last meal you cooked?

Options

Replies

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Baked Southwestern Beans and Rice (Topped With Eggs)

Meatless Wednesday: another lockdown dinner dish using pantry stores (beans and brown rice). Inspired by YouTube, "Food Wishes - The Best Baked Rice and Beans," (link below). Of course, I had to make some adjustments due to limited on-hand pantry items (brown rice rather than white basmati [changes the amount of liquid and cooking time], a spicy pasta sauce rather than salsa, my homemade taco powder [which matched pretty well the recipe's spice ingredients and had the only cumin in it left in the house]). MFP macros for the casserole are, per serving, 721 cals, 18g protein, 12g fat, 122g carb (13g fiber). This tray I called 6 servings. Eggs are extra. Oh, and a small side salad also.

1oyus9n5m9g0.jpg

Link: https://youtu.be/YVxASSr6B_Q
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Pasta w chickpeas, rosemary, garlic, black pepper, and EVOO.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Baked Chicken thighs, Roasted veggies (Broccoli, Cauliflower, Carrots and Kabocha) with a side of cucumber radish sunomono (pickled salad) forgot to take pics.
  • privy95
    privy95 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Tacos/burritos with ground beef and all the fixings!
  • snowflake954
    Options
    Pulled pork tonight!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,622 Member
    Options
    Chicken satay with peanut satay sauce. Cucumber with mint and nuoc cham. Canh soup. Sticky rice.
    7w95ow3efdmb.jpeg
  • privy95
    privy95 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Burgers and chicken sandwiches, (I ate a boca burger.) also served tater tots and watermelon. My teenager made a side salad with theirs.
  • widgit808
    widgit808 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    CV19 Lockdown Adlib Moroccan-Influenced Chicken Over Couscous

"You feast first with your eyes," is a saying, and this doesn't look like much in the pic. But it tasted great and was filling. More interestingly, this is mostly a product of cans and long-term stores from the pantry: canned chicken, dried couscous, dehydrated vegetables, canned tomato paste, chicken bouillon, canned black olives, golden raisins (only fresh: sauteed onions and some celery for greenery). I also tossed in some leftover canned green beans for the heck of it.

While we wait on our next fresh delivery, produce remains scarce, fresh chicken nonexistent and condiments/etc., pretty much limited to what we have on hand. Fortunately, that includes a jar of Ras el Hanout spice mix, which made this stew savory and rich.

We just got delivery of the canned chicken, and, as in the instance of the beef I posted about last week, isn't really appealing straight out of the can. But it works really well with the proper supporting cast of ingredients and prep method. Note that the chicken is sold as "chunk" but looks shredded here - that's a result of the extended time braising and stirring. I made the tri-color couscous with some dehydrated veg to add some more flavor interest and nutritional side benefits.

MFP approximates a serving of the chicken stew portion at 320 cals, 29g protein, 8g fat, 32g carb. I figure in the couscous separately. The "adlib" in the recipe title is my way of saying, "I threw stuff in the pot until it seemed right."

fzw6j3mz9aa5.jpg

Curious, why are you getting canned meats delivered instead of fresh? Here on LI fresh would be delivered in the time it takes for you to get canned. Is it due to worry over fresh contamination?
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    widgit808 wrote: »

Curious, why are you getting canned meats delivered instead of fresh? Here on LI fresh would be delivered in the time it takes for you to get canned. Is it due to worry over fresh contamination?

Partially contamination worries. My wife works in a hospital, so we're really locked down here on the Jersey Shore with full sterile-field protocols (I must also say I'm in a couple of higher-risk categories, which is why I'm on MFP and pursuing health/exercise). We're only accepting packaged-at-the-plant meats hoping that their protocols are firm, but as the news shows, that's not a 100% assumption. We are not shopping in person.

Partially due to supply. Fresh deliveries are out a couple of weeks' schedule; right now we're waiting on an order that is planned for approx. Monday or Tuesday arrival, hopefully with some fresh chicken (whole or parts) along with produce and a couple of goodies. This is from a local high-end fresh market. Regular grocery stores and Whole Foods have been very uneven in their stuff and the "order pick" process hasn't been at all satisfactory (I had one night seen my WF list get chopped in half as other order pickers got to limited items first - in real time). Commodities and cans we're finding better from regular stores, and just adjust ourselves to the schedule in our plans.

Partially due to timing. Our daughter lives in Ottawa, Canada. We were up visiting when things escalated, and got back just before the border crossing became an issue. That was good. Unfortunately, that was also the Great Grocery Panic down here, and there was no fresh to be had at that time. We are sailors, on a classic boat [no mechanical fridge], so we know where to procure provisions, generally shelf-stable or canned. And you're right, the lead times, especially in this crisis, are pretty long -- we got in some beef last week which was a relief, and some chicken, which was welcome, this week. I ordered them weeks ago. We also were concerned about total collapse of the supply chains, which it seems now, hopefully, is not going to occur.

It's become my challenge to cook from this limited assortment of non-fresh stuff meals (dinners and home-baked breads, mostly, as the family fends for themselves the rest of the day) which are tasty, diverse, reasonably healthy and correspond to nutritional needs - you'll see most of my postings I have figured out the dietary macro counts via the recipe.

That was a good question, thanks.

Whereabouts in LI? When this lockdown eases, I'd like to get back out there, it's been a couple of years, riding my bike out at the eastern end. NYC dominates the news, I'm hoping Suffolk isn't being as hard hit and recovers/opens fast. Our family, I suppose like everyone, is getting a serious case of stir crazy building.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Lunch was a cod fish and pot barley stuffed red bell pepper topped with zatar and garlic. Dessert was popcorn with 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Pizza.

Well ...... ok ..... I called the pizza place myself (didn't even get myself one).
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    Lockdown Shredded BBQ Chicken (over Bulgur)

Another pantry-goods meal while sheltering-in-home: canned chicken, canned corn, barbecue sauce with sauteed red onion on a bed of plain bulgur wheat and a side of canned carrots. No extra story today, my response posting to @widgit808 above is prob more than anyone wants, LOL. Filling and simple. Tasty, too, mostly attributed to the sauce. With the bulgur included, but not the carrots, MFP estimates 444 cals, 32g protein, 10g fat and 56g carbs per serving, with 815mg sodium (to be expected with canned -items meals, I guess). I allocated 6 servings from this prep.

nn3tzlrx8ibp.jpg
  • MyFitnessPaths
    MyFitnessPaths Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    White rice with 2 pan fried eggs, cabbage with carrots (its prepackaged coleslaw!), sauteed zuchinni with a little bit of sesame seed oil, lots of garlic, some salt and pepper. I top it off with chili garlic sauce and eat it with chopsticks. It's such a favorite comfort food of mine.
  • snowflake954
    Options
    Cream of asparagus and potato soup, fish cakes made with salmon and potato topped with tartar sauce.
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    Lockdown Pantry Dinner: "Jumpin' Jack" (var. of "Hoppin' John")

There's a Southern (USA) traditional meal called "Hopping John," which is based on black-eyed peas, rice and some sort of smoked pork. It's apparently a good-luck meal when served for New Year's.

Well, here's a variation of that dish, using my CV19 pantry stores only. I'm calling it "Jumpin' Jack" because it resembles "Hoppin' John," but is different.

Improv ingredients: spam instead of bacon or other pork item, spicy hot peppers ("sandwich toppers") rather than green bell peppers and cayenne for "heat," and dehydrated mixed vegetables rather than celery/etc. Oh, and dried chives to garnish, as I have no fresh scallions. I had an onion and brown rice, and of course a bag of dried black-eyed peas. Looking for ways to use the peas led me to Hoppin John. There was a bit of process involved in creating this dish, starting from rehydrating the peas. It was filling and tasty, but left us wondering what the "real McCoy" would be like.

MFP places this at 305 cals per serving, 8g fat, 49g carb, 11g protein, and 613mg sodium (probably mostly from the spam).

As Hoppin John is considered a lucky New Year's dish, maybe this'll be our lucky dish to approach the light at the end of this virus lockdown tunnel.

xh2fc33h5g8p.jpg
  • MaltedTea
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Tahini cookies.

Do tell. A recipe too, if you please.

The two promising ones I saw (one a choco-chip redux, the other was sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds) require a stand or electric mixer.
  • MaltedTea
    Options
    Being the impatient *kitten* that I am, I went ahead and tried a small batch of the choco-chip redux (which, like yours, is now sitting in the fridge). From the raw cookie dough batter, I'm certain to like it.

That means yours is for next weekend @just_Tomek so thank you for the super easy recipe! Do not think for one moment that this means I've stopped planning to kidnap you for culinary duty at some point. Just saying!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,622 Member
    Options
    Breakfast maki made from last nights leftovers
    a8lnsyy6aqz4.jpeg
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Banana bread, slow cooked chicken soup, temaki-sushi rolls, baked chicken with potato salad and zoodles.
    All made over the weekend.