April 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any running apps that they can recommend that DON'T use Google maps?
    Strava, Runkeeper, and MapMyRun are all down for me since yesterday. They crash immediately upon opening the app. Runkeeper tweeted that Google maps is having an outage and they're trying to fix it.

Does Zombies, Run use Google maps or just your phone's GPS?

I have a RunBet I'm in and no access to a treadmill. They said they're willing to accept screenshots of runs from other apps that they don't usually accept, but the problem is they're all down.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any running apps that they can recommend that DON'T use Google maps?
    Strava, Runkeeper, and MapMyRun are all down for me since yesterday. They crash immediately upon opening the app. Runkeeper tweeted that Google maps is having an outage and they're trying to fix it.

I have a RunBet I'm in and no access to a treadmill. They said they're willing to accept screenshots of runs from other apps that they don't usually accept, but the problem is they're all down.

Odd. Garmin/Strava both use Google Maps and both are working for me.

Do you have an Apple Watch? I would guess their activity monitor uses their own maps.

If you just need GPS data, what watch are you using? Most of them only record GPS data and do not need any mapping software to do that. You can then export the GPS data and send that maybe?
  • brittanystebbins95
    Options

Do you have an Apple Watch? I would guess their activity monitor uses their own maps.

If you just need GPS data, what watch are you using? Most of them only record GPS data and do not need any mapping software to do that. You can then export the GPS data and send that maybe?

I haven't been able to try and reopen them for a good two hours (I can't bring my phone to work) so maybe I'll send my husband an email and have him try opening them again.
    I have a FitBit that's got GPS, maybe I'll have to try that if they're still down tonight.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

I haven't been able to try and reopen them for a good two hours (I can't bring my phone to work) so maybe I'll send my husband an email and have him try opening them again.
    I have a FitBit that's got GPS, maybe I'll have to try that if they're still down tonight.

Try rebooting your phone? Not only is Strava working for me, but I just looked and my feed has updates from other runners. Not saying it is not down for you, or some segment of users, but it is working for at least some of us.
  • brittanystebbins95
    Options

Try rebooting your phone? Not only is Strava working for me, but I just looked and my feed has updates from other runners. Not saying it is not down for you, or some segment of users, but it is working for at least some of us.

Believe me, I've tried :( Strava works just fine, but the moment I click on "record" it crashes and closes the app. Runkeeper won't even open. The loading screen comes up and then it crashes. I even updated both apps.
    I just had my husband check and they're both still doing it.
    Hopefully if its working for some people that means they're working on getting Google maps back up. I've got another 10 hours before I'm off work, so fingers crossed its solved by then.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    4-1 7k easy
    4-2 7k easy
    4-3 8k slow
    4-4 7k moderate
    4-5 7k moderate
    4-6 7k easy
    4-7 rest
    4-8 7k moderate
    4-9 7k easy
    4-10 7k easy
    4-11 7k easy
    4-12 7k moderate
    4-13 7k easy
    4-14 rest
    4-15 7k moderate
    4-16 11k slow
    4-17 7k moderate
    4-18 7k easy
    4-19 7k threshold
    4-20 7k easy
    4-21 rest
    4-22 7k easy
    4-23 7k easy
    4-24 7k moderate

April Total: 152k
    April Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k

2020 Total through March: 509k

Cloudy, mid 40s F today, with a little misty rain on occasion. The two other runners I saw still had their winter gear on, while I was prancing around in shorts and a short sleeved tech shirt. Somebody missed the memo...
    Did manage to catch a bunch of trout yesterday, so that was a good thing.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020K in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

5-23 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson OH
    6-20 Freedom Run 5k, Aurora, OH
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    @brittanystebbins95 - Strava is working for me. I was able to start a run just fine. I agree with @pastorvincent on deleting the app and reinstalling it. I have had to do that a few times in the past with Strava when it wouldn't start or froze.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Re: the discussion about apps -- I was able to use Strava this morning, but there was a warning when I opened it that it might not be working due to the Google Maps issues.

4/1: 7.75m
    4/2: 4m
    4/3: 2.5m
    4/4: 7.25m
    4/5: 13.5m
    4/6: 1.25m
    4/8: 7m
    4/9: 4m
    4/10: 3.75m
    4/11: 7.5m
    4/12: 15.25m
    4/13: 1.5m
    4/14: 4m
    4/15: 5m
    4/16: 4m
    4/17: 1.5m
    4/18: 3.5m
    4/19: 12.75m
    4/20: 2.5m
    4/21: 4m, 2.25m
    4/22: 4m
    4/23: 8m
    4/24: 2m
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

Believe me, I've tried :( Strava works just fine, but the moment I click on "record" it crashes and closes the app. Runkeeper won't even open. The loading screen comes up and then it crashes. I even updated both apps.
    Hopefully if its working for some people that means they're working on getting Google maps back up. I've got another 10 hours before I'm off work, so fingers crossed its solved by then.

Bouncing of @PastorVincent suggestion, Have you tried 1) updating either apps? or 2) uninstalling reinstalling either app.
    I've noticed a glitch if i have a system or security update and it goes wonky. Mid march I lost bluetooth to my computer over a hiccup in a Dell update.

Worst case, can your FitBit do a step count and you can back out the number of steps when you start your run and use the guesstimate of 4000 steps/mile and use that?

ETA. Oh I should have kept reading. PV already covered this... carry on...
    Is fitbit apple? if so, go buy a Garmin, hahah!
    No idea if it's a thing, but upon googling who makes the fit bit, it looks like google has purchased it. could there be a glitch with google futzing with it?
  • brittanystebbins95
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Bouncing of @PastorVincent suggestion, Have you tried 1) updating either apps? or 2) uninstalling reinstalling either app.
    I've noticed a glitch if i have a system or security update and it goes wonky. Mid march I lost bluetooth to my computer over a hiccup in a Dell update.

Worst case, can your FitBit do a step count and you can back out the number of steps when you start your run and use the guesstimate of 4000 steps/mile and use that?

ETA. Oh I should have kept reading. PV already covered this... carry on

I only JUST downloaded Strava for the first time yesterday because Runkeeper wouldn't work, even after I updated it. I'm gonna try uninstalling and reinstalling both when I'm home. Otherwise, I'll just have to fall back on my Fitbit's connected GPS to my phone
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

ETA. Oh I should have kept reading. PV already covered this... carry on

I only JUST downloaded Strava for the first time yesterday because Runkeeper wouldn't work, even after I updated it. I'm gonna try uninstalling and reinstalling both when I'm home. Otherwise, I'll just have to fall back on my Fitbit's connected GPS to my phone

AWW.. Good luck with it.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    4/3 - 3
    4/4 - 3
    4/7 - 3
    4/9 - 2
    4/10 - 3
    4/11 - 3
    4/12 - 2
    4/15 – 3
    4/16 - 3
    4/18 - 3
    4/19 – 3
    4/21 – 2
    4/22 – 3
    4/24 - 3

39 of 40 miles

@Teresa502 I’m with you I’m done with my 40 hour workweek by Thursday afternoon now. I like having Fridays off. My big boss has a tag up at 11:30 on Friday I call into that and that’s about it.

@Avidkeo going to maintenance is a big shocker

@quilteryoyo glad things are moving along with your cousin in the legal sense so you can better be in charge of his care. My Mom had macular degeneration it’s really a hard thing for them.

@Faebert great job! I’m working on increasing my mileage after a couple of physically rough years, I was easily between 160 to 180 a month, now I’m back at 40, but it will come.

@brittanystebbins95 I’m with PastorVincent I just opened strava with no problem and it logged my run this morning, but I track my runs with my Garmin and they sync to Strava. Okay just tried to open and record, no problem at all.

@dreamer12151 there are days it’s hard to get motivated for sure. Make yourself go and .5 mile is better than no mile. Usually once I get out there I’m ready to go more. Hugs. The virtual run for Emma sounds emotional but a great cause.

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,018 Member
    Options
    @dreamer12151 Some weeks are just hard. At least you are getting out and walking. You aren't just sitting on the couch, so give yourself credit for that. Sometimes the hardest part of running is those first couple of steps. The virtual 5K sounds like a good one for you to do. Prayers for little Emma's family.

Today's plan called for speed play...basically intervals. I had a treadmill session due to a cool rain I wasn't willing to run in. I ran 2.5 miles total. I miscalculated somehow and only walked (warm up and cool down) 0.8 miles today. I meant to walk a total of 1 mile. Geeze.

exercise.png

• PastorVincent
    Options
    @dreamer12151 Some weeks are just hard. At least you are getting out and walking. You aren't just sitting on the couch, so give yourself credit for that. Sometimes the hardest part of running is those first couple of steps. The virtual 5K sounds like a good one for you to do. Prayers for little Emma's family.

I agree. Often the first 10 seconds of a run is hardest.

Focus on the wins, not the lost run. The more you focus on the misses, the worse they seem.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,018 Member
    Options
    Cheering you on from afar @Avidkeo !
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Hi all. I'm up, had breakfast and now just waiting for that to digest a bit before heading out.

It's ANZAC day here - kind of like memorial day for you guys. So it's going to be relatively quiet. There are usually dawn services held around the country but of course this year they can't, so many people stood at their driveway at dawn. Sadly I slept in (needed that sleep) but this morning my FB feed is flooded with beautiful dawn pictures.

There is always light in the new day.

Lest we forget.

7mxn78zep0b0.jpg

I’m glad I’m not the only one who stayed in bed this morning, although we were woken at 6am by one neighbour playing a brass band recording of The Last Post while another played a bagpipe version at the same time! Not exactly tranquil but I appreciated the sentiment from the cosiness of my warm bed and then went back to sleep for another two hours!

I hope your run is going well (you should be nearly done) and I’m sending you energy boosting thoughts for those final few kilometres.