Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lcullerton
    lcullerton Posts: 4 Member
    I like this milk. No need to refrigerate unless opened. lunch box size that comes in a box with multiple lunch box milks. Bought at King Soopers https://horizon.com/organic-dairy-products/organic-milk/shelf-stable-organic-plain-1-percent-milk/
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I am in Iowa. Daughter was in Costco a week ago & still no TP. When I have done an online for pickup at grocery store, TP was one thing I did not receive. Getting about 1/2-3/4 of what we order for other stuff. But Target had a bunch of TP according to son in law, so he got some for us, lol.

Our Governor is starting to open up 77 of 99 counties on Friday because they show no or little virus activity. The rest still shut down until at least May 15. Our daily positive case numbers are about 4x higher than a week ago, but they say it is because they are testing more. I feel like it shows that there is more spread than we knew.

I've heard from Omaha (not in IA, but close) and from people in IA: Clarinda, Des Moines, and Iowa City that they have some TP available and have for the last week. Friends and family from IA and one from IN offered to mail some to me, but I think the shipping costs are not worth it, at least unless I run out of paper towels too.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited April 2020
    They did have paper towels & tissues, tho.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I am in Iowa. Daughter was in Costco a week ago & still no TP. When I have done an online for pickup at grocery store, TP was one thing I did not receive. Getting about 1/2-3/4 of what we order for other stuff. But Target had a bunch of TP according to son in law, so he got some for us, lol.

Our Governor is starting to open up 77 of 99 counties on Friday because they show no or little virus activity. The rest still shut down until at least May 15. Our daily positive case numbers are about 4x higher than a week ago, but they say it is because they are testing more. I feel like it shows that there is more spread than we knew.

I've heard from Omaha (not in IA, but close) and from people in IA: Clarinda, Des Moines, and Iowa City that they have some TP available and have for the last week. Friends and family from IA and one from IN offered to mail some to me, but I think the shipping costs are not worth it, at least unless I run out of paper towels too.

Do you belong to Costco? I went to Walmart at 8:30 this morning - no TP. Last I looked there was none in Target, Food Lion, Harris Teeter, CVS, or Kroger either. But my dad said Costco has had some every time he's been. I'm still working my way through a 9 pack I luckily bought right before all this started, so I don't have to worry yet! Had to buy store brand tissues though, which I'm not thrilled about :lol:
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Another thing in short supply is hand soap. Cousin says hard time finding dish soap.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Another thing in short supply is hand soap. Cousin says hard time finding dish soap.

My typical shopping destination has had trouble keeping stock of dish soap and dishwasher detergent, although I haven't looked any other places. They have had plenty of hand soap.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    kimny72 wrote: »

Do you belong to Costco? I went to Walmart at 8:30 this morning - no TP. Last I looked there was none in Target, Food Lion, Harris Teeter, CVS, or Kroger either. But my dad said Costco has had some every time he's been. I'm still working my way through a 9 pack I luckily bought right before all this started, so I don't have to worry yet! Had to buy store brand tissues though, which I'm not thrilled about :lol:

No, but even if I was a member, I think the nearest Costco is probably Memphis. That's about a 2 hr. drive and while that would not normally be uncommon for a weekend trip, I'm trying to limit movement these days. Plus Memphis area has a lot more known cases, so is a higher risk area anyway.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited April 2020

Not sure about the US, but in Canada, you don't have to have a membership. Someone bought me a cash card some time ago and I finally used it a couple weeks ago. I had to go to the desk and get a day pass. I exceeded the cash card value by $75. They were fine with that as long as I paid by debit, they wouldn't accept credit card for the extra. Alternatively, they do allow members to bring a guest, but right now it is being limited to one non-member guest (at least it was here two weeks ago - it could be different regionally, and as time has passed).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Just got back from Aldi. They had plenty of TP and paper towels, no sanitizer, fresh meat was a bit low, no yeast but plenty of flour.

Our governor is lifting a few restrictions but the Safer At Home orders are in place. Places like pet groomers can open but they have to be no contact, curbside drop off and pick up only. Any retailer can open for curbside pickup. Outdoor recreation is slightly opening too. For example, state parks and trails are open but welcome centers, picnic areas, etc. are closed. Public and private boat launches and marinas can open but must restrict how many vehicles are launching at any one time. Golf courses can open but only for golfing and cart rental, clubhouses have to stay closed.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Things are starting to go a little sideways for the mayor of Grants, NM...He has repeatedly called the governor a Nazi and the state police her Gestapo...and at the same time he's firing anyone employed by the town that won't go back to work in defiance of the governor's stay at home order, including the golf course manager who initially opened up, but was cited by the state police and afterwards refused to open the golf course...you're fired!

I can actually see being a bit rebellious here and being a mayor of a small rural town and wanting to open things up...but when you start canning people who want to be consistent with state orders, you're just creating a *kitten* storm for yourself. He's going to end up with lawsuits so far up his *kitten*, he won't know what to do. Not a particularly bright individual.

Wow, not thinking things through very well. Or he is assuming that the city (taxpayers) are going to pay for the outcome and he won't have any personal responsibility. I'm not sure I would take that gamble.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member

My typical shopping destination has had trouble keeping stock of dish soap and dishwasher detergent, although I haven't looked any other places. They have had plenty of hand soap.
    My husband’s company/plant is the supplier to P&G for Dawn dish soap lids... his plant manager texted him a pic of a very empty dish soap aisle a couple/few weeks ago and said “THIS is why we are considered essential.” Pretty crazy!
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member

No, but even if I was a member, I think the nearest Costco is probably Memphis. That's about a 2 hr. drive and while that would not normally be uncommon for a weekend trip, I'm trying to limit movement these days. Plus Memphis area has a lot more known cases, so is a higher risk area anyway.

And unlikely to find TP at a Memphis Costco. My husband struck out this afternoon and last. Amazon claims I’ll be getting some on Thursday, so fingers crossed.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited April 2020
    In Oklahoma, 3 counties have over 1/2 the corona cases. Our governor tries to work with the mayors in the 3 big cities in these counties. Both OKC and Tulsa mayors present a totally united front with him. The Norman mayor keeps bad mouthing the gov, then doing exactly what the gov wanted. I wonder if she’ll be re-elected? Probably not in trouble, just not a loveable front.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    I haven't seen toilet paper in a store in six weeks. Last time I was in a grocery store they had small packages of flushable wipes, limit two per household, so I bought one. Haven't had to use it yet, though. Not sure I trust it to be flushable and not damage my plumbing.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Things are starting to go a little sideways for the mayor of Grants, NM...He has repeatedly called the governor a Nazi and the state police her Gestapo...and at the same time he's firing anyone employed by the town that won't go back to work in defiance of the governor's stay at home order, including the golf course manager who initially opened up, but was cited by the state police and afterwards refused to open the golf course...you're fired!

I can actually see being a bit rebellious here and being a mayor of a small rural town and wanting to open things up...but when you start canning people who want to be consistent with state orders, you're just creating a *kitten* storm for yourself. He's going to end up with lawsuits so far up his *kitten*, he won't know what to do. Not a particularly bright individual.

Is it a public golf course? I mean, it seems weird that every job in town is subject to firing by the mayor?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2020
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Things are looking promising here. It has been a few days since the last new case. 2-4 cases daily, all are either children who are already at the hospital with their sick parents or import drivers who test positive at the border before entering the country (but mostly drivers).

Most things are open now under strict sanitation and distancing rules (even non-essentials). There aren't any plans to open gathering places yet (churches, mosques, wedding venues, clubs...etc). Restaurants are all open for delivery and pickup. Almost half the provinces are almost back to life as usual and can drive freely. The rest can drive but with restrictions. Cars with an even plate number drive one day, and cars with an odd number drive the next. No more than 2 people in one car. Public transport is now also open at 30% capacity.

People are...well... people.
    They're not distancing as much as they should be. It's Ramadan and they're flooding to buy food without any regard for safety. Some places are better organized than others - we've been buying and freezing bread once every 10 or so days to avoid crowds at bread bakeries and buying our vegetables at the grocery store (more expensive) because produce stores are less organized. I used to get upset at people, but I feel less upset now, probably because it's looking good right now. I have resigned to "people are people, and will keep doing what people do"

This is what concerns me. I think we could reasonably safely open up a lot of businesses, if people were just capable of continuing to obey social distancing advisories. They had a piece on "60 Minutes" yesterday of an automobile plant that has retooled to produce ventilators, and they have erected plastic barriers between work stations, everyone was wearing masks, and they had smart watches that buzzed if they got within six feet of another smart watch (also storing data on what watches they were near, for future contact tracing if necessary). And the company is doing all that because people are people, and if you don't have systems in place to stop them, they're going to go back to their old ways of swapping germs and not washing their hands.

They are adding a mask requirement for indoor shopping and places where you can't maintain 6 ft of separation, but opening up some of the closed outdoor areas and then adding as new essential businesses "greenhouses, garden centers and nurseries" (many of which were already doing business through curbside and delivery, and Home Depot was open). "These stores must follow social distancing requirements and must require that employees and customers wear a face covering."

"Animal grooming services may also re-open," and "[r]etail stores not designated as non-essential businesses and operations may re-open to fulfill telephone and online orders through pick-up outside the store and delivery."

This seems reasonable to me. However, a politician downstate sued to prevent the order from applying to him, so clearly others disagree. I don't think a majority, and I get the impression the police here are enforcing the orders and concerned for their own safety in that they are on the front lines of having to deal with people who may have the virus and are not compliant. (Mostly enforcement is ticketing and breaking things up.)

To clarify, I have concerns far short of intentional violations of restrictions.

I think there's a difference between effective social distancing and nominal, perfunctory compliance with the bare letter of restrictions. I don't have a lot of faith that folks wearing homemade cloth masks and bandanas (not their fault -- that's what's available), touching their faces right over their mouths and noses about every 20 seconds (based on my observations of folks in essential businesses and out walking -- I've even seen this in interviews with medical personnel on local news), mistaking three feet for six feet, not comprehending that talking when you're standing that close to someone presents increased risk, just as sneezing or coughing does .... I don't have a lot of faith with that as our baseline, that lifting restrictions with rules about social distancing will lead to effective social distancing.

Not sure why this is the response to my post, but I will say that I don't think people are mistaking 6 ft for 3, and most of the time in my neighborhood I see 6 ft of distancing, and it's easy outside.

Masks are a mixed bag, of course.

I really don't see a big deal with opening up curbside pickup and most outdoor spaces.

The issue with violations of social distancing aren't people mistaking 6 ft for 3 ft, but people who, for whatever reason, don't care at all, like a crazy huge house party that was shut down here or people trying to make points for social media. I don't get it, but it's happening.

I had posted expressing doubts about people's ability to comply with social distancing constraints that government officials at all levels keep emphasizing should be followed even as businesses reopen. You responded to my post with one about (1) what the rules are in your area and (2) people who are actively opposing the rules. I wanted to clarify that I wasn't talking about either of those things -- I don't think the biggest problem is what the specific rules are or people who are actively opposing the rules but the large majority of people who will things think rules are a good idea, but just not for them right now in this particular situation. Or that situation. "Yes, of course we need to keep safe, but it's not going to be a problem if I just go over to a friend's house for a few drinks with them and one other person from one other household ... It's been a tough time being apart from everybody for so long. Just one evening isn't a big deal."

In effect, my whole last post was my explanation of why I wasn't sure what your response had to do with my post, or to clarify what I meant if my earlier post was being misunderstood as being about people actively protesting against rules.

Okay. I misunderstood your prior post.

Mine was intended to say that the rules had been loosened as you suggested could work and that I thought it was going to, as I see most following the rules -- certainly most who care at all.

I do disagree with the notion that people cannot comply with social distancing.