Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I don't believe that we've seen the worst of it yet, due to those refusing to socially distance themselves. Only once everything recreational's shuttered & all open shops implement distance rules, then after approximately 2 weeks'll reach peak.

Of course we haven't seen the worst of it, regardless of social distancing, as we are on the upswing of the curve.

That's true, I mistakenly said yet. What I meant's that without those whom've been refusing to socially distance, we'd reach peak sooner.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    bearly63 wrote: »
    bearly63 wrote: »
    @snowflake954 Lol! The mask is going to be the fashion accessory to have in 2020 and beyond.

Can't you just see the fashion models walking the catwalk next year in masks? We'll all be wearing them. :D

That is precisely what I pictured....."I'm too sexy for this mask.....too sexy for this mask....so sexy it hurts"
    - Right Said Fred

I'm in the middle of my second book about the 1918 flu epidemic, and both talk about people starting to wear masks anytime they went out, and the first had photos of some US city (I forget which) in which everyone is wearing masks.
    Dummy me left both my homemade mask and hat at home yesterday when I finally ventured out to the grocery store for the first time in two weeks - if it weren’t 20 minutes from home, and needing to get in and out ASAP because kids were home alone, I would have gone back for them. (The hat because my germaphobe mind imagines cooties crawling around in my hair much like lice I guess). I sat in the car and seriously pondered what to do... ended up just taking a deep breath and headed in, strategically holding my breath when I passed people. Probably a feeble attempt at protecting myself but better than nothing (thankfully it wasn’t a madhouse).

My sister took her dh shopping the other day, they both wore masks(you're not seeing it much here....yet). Somebody yelled across the aisle at her, telling her she's not supposed to be using them, they're for other people. :/ She's 75 and her dh is 80, has Alzheimer's. Seriously??? And I've offered to stay with him or get food for them countless times. But until Friday, when her dd sent her a couple more masks for extra caregivers to wear, she wouldn't allow me in their home.

If you read the CDC website, they do not recommend wearing masks...they are of little to no value to the general public in coronavirus protection. This is not an airborne virus and masks only really serve as a false sense of security. They are necessary for medical workers as they can obviously not socially distance themselves from their patients and there is more aerosol transfer in a hospital setting.

Sorry, but I can't agree with you. Masks are useful, if not essential. However, there are not enough to go around, so they tell you that you don't need one. After watching the panic buying of TP, you can imagine what would happen with masks. Watch the news coming out of China--everyone has a mask. In Milan, the director of the largest hospital there (which is overwhelmed with serious cases) was asked if masks are necessary. He paused, looked uncomfortable, and then said "I can't answer that question for you". It was so obvious. Lockdown will not be lifted in Italy until the general public has masks, and then we will be required to wear them. It will be interesting to watch the gymnastics of our leaders, who assured us that they aren't necessary. The general public isn't buying it. People out and about are all wearing masks--even if they have to make their own. Look at photos of the Spanish flu epidemic--people are wearing masks.

Then how come even our health care professionals are saying the only thing that is really going to protect them is N95 masks?
  • DecadeDuchess
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    Do gloves and masks matter? I think they do but we all know there's not enough for the first responders and medical community. The grocery store clerks, mail and delivery drivers, all those preparing food for curbside takeout...they have families and children they go home to every single day.

We were only given 4 tests in our town and now we're down to 3 tests because they've used one and it was positive. Where did that person come into contact with it and how many people did they expose as emergency room staff. There's not a whole lotta transparency going on so I believe my small corner of the world has been lulled into a very false sense of security. We received a Grade F for social distancing. The grocery store is jam packed. I went for drive and saw all kinds of cars parked at homes and ranches. People are getting together and nothing much has changed. They keep saying our numbers are low but that's only because there's no testing to reveal the true picture. People think we're immune out here but they're just blowing smoke into their own eyes. We're behind the curve but it's imaginary thinking to believe that will last.

We are a clearinghouse for tourists from all over the world. When they blow in here our small facilities cannot handle it. I had a dream and I know that's just the brain trying to make sense of things but I saw college dorms being used for hospitals. The kids were upset because they left their belongings thinking they'd be going back. Then they had to pitch stuff they couldn't wash. I see gyms, schools and dorms, community centers and ice rinks being used as makeshift hospitals.

Many of the older folks are scared. They're asking their grandkids to go to the grocery store for them but those in the younger age groups are taking it all in stride. Oy vey. :|

What worries me the most's the grandparents, that're raising their grandchildren. They're unable, to socially distance via them.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I understand social distancing, not shopping anymore than you absolutely have to, washing your hands all the time, covering coughs, etc. But how many of you take it to the point of setting your groceries aside for 3 days, or wiping them all down when you get them home? I'm more than willing to do my share but isn't some of it taking this all to over the edge? Maybe I'm wrong?
    So please tell me how far you're taking the cleaning and bleaching, etc.? Just curious about all of this and certainly do not want to stir up a battle but do wonder if I'm doing enough.
    The way I figure it, I think I've won a battle of sorts on the home front, seeing dh spray water over his hands once a day. :/ Absolutely no kidding. :(

I see infection risk in probabilistic terms. Some actions increase odds of exposure, some actions reduce it. Some risk factors you can control or influence, others you cannot. How vulnerable you are (other health conditions) and factors you don't control will guide how much effort you make on the things you can control.

E.g. for my family of 4 locked down together:
    • None have health conditions that put us in the vulnerable population, but I have 4 octogenarian parents who do, and I am their first call (no other sibs local) for any emergency. 2 family members last traveled 2 weeks ago, so they are through the 2-week incubation window. One last traveled 1 week ago, so we're still acting as though we are infected. We will wait at least another week before we consider physical contact with the grandparents. If the third college kid returns home, we will wait at least 2 weeks after her return. We may just stick with video conferencing until new-cases-per-day starts decreasing.
    • Risks we're taking: our 2 college age kids have dinner with their other parents (blended family) once/week. We don't control the other parents' exposure. Risk reduction of forbidding them from seeing their other parents not worth the psychological costs at this point for us.
    • Risks we're reducing: no restaurant take out, having groceries delivered vs. shopping, and yes, I am wiping groceries down when they come in the house. Also cleaning surfaces in the kitchen a ton because everyone is using the kitchen at this point.
    • If someone in our household (or the other parents' households) became symptomatic, we would change a lot of what we're currently doing to reduce risk further.
  • DecadeDuchess
    Options
    Reporting on New Jersey: the governor (or his account) on Twitter telling people they still cannot pump their own gas, and numerous NJ residents commenting about how very dangerous that would be in this time and how good it is that they are protected from that danger and just generally wondering why anyone would ever want to have self-pumped gas. Occasional residents of other states are remarking that pumping or not pumping gas is unlikely to be a big difference and mentioning that one can wash hands after pumping or wear gloves. The apparent NJ disdain for pumping one's own gas is something that always amuses me.

I'm wondering if I can get through this without needing to get any gas at all.

Being a pedestrian, I completely forgot about this.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Here is an interesting article regarding the conversation of what is considered "essential" here in the U.S.
    http://thehustle.co/03302020-coronavirus-esential-businesses

Interesting.

Here in Massachusetts we have both medical and recreational MJ. Medical is remaining open; recreational is closed.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Reporting on New Jersey: the governor (or his account) on Twitter telling people they still cannot pump their own gas, and numerous NJ residents commenting about how very dangerous that would be in this time and how good it is that they are protected from that danger and just generally wondering why anyone would ever want to have self-pumped gas. Occasional residents of other states are remarking that pumping or not pumping gas is unlikely to be a big difference and mentioning that one can wash hands after pumping or wear gloves. The apparent NJ disdain for pumping one's own gas is something that always amuses me.

I usually have to fill up twice per week. I'm now on my third week since my last fill up.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I usually have to fill up twice per week. I'm now on my third week since my last fill up.

I don't drive very much normally (once a week, usually, maybe twice), and haven't driven at all since I stopped going to work (last day March 19 -- I was only driving to work because of the virus, as I normally take the L). The only problem is I probably should drive the car for its own health, at least a little.