Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Things are looking promising here. It has been a few days since the last new case. 2-4 cases daily, all are either children who are already at the hospital with their sick parents or import drivers who test positive at the border before entering the country (but mostly drivers).

Most things are open now under strict sanitation and distancing rules (even non-essentials). There aren't any plans to open gathering places yet (churches, mosques, wedding venues, clubs...etc). Restaurants are all open for delivery and pickup. Almost half the provinces are almost back to life as usual and can drive freely. The rest can drive but with restrictions. Cars with an even plate number drive one day, and cars with an odd number drive the next. No more than 2 people in one car. Public transport is now also open at 30% capacity.

People are...well... people.
    They're not distancing as much as they should be. It's Ramadan and they're flooding to buy food without any regard for safety. Some places are better organized than others - we've been buying and freezing bread once every 10 or so days to avoid crowds at bread bakeries and buying our vegetables at the grocery store (more expensive) because produce stores are less organized. I used to get upset at people, but I feel less upset now, probably because it's looking good right now. I have resigned to "people are people, and will keep doing what people do"

This is what concerns me. I think we could reasonably safely open up a lot of businesses, if people were just capable of continuing to obey social distancing advisories. They had a piece on "60 Minutes" yesterday of an automobile plant that has retooled to produce ventilators, and they have erected plastic barriers between work stations, everyone was wearing masks, and they had smart watches that buzzed if they got within six feet of another smart watch (also storing data on what watches they were near, for future contact tracing if necessary). And the company is doing all that because people are people, and if you don't have systems in place to stop them, they're going to go back to their old ways of swapping germs and not washing their hands.

They are adding a mask requirement for indoor shopping and places where you can't maintain 6 ft of separation, but opening up some of the closed outdoor areas and then adding as new essential businesses "greenhouses, garden centers and nurseries" (many of which were already doing business through curbside and delivery, and Home Depot was open). "These stores must follow social distancing requirements and must require that employees and customers wear a face covering."

"Animal grooming services may also re-open," and "[r]etail stores not designated as non-essential businesses and operations may re-open to fulfill telephone and online orders through pick-up outside the store and delivery."

This seems reasonable to me. However, a politician downstate sued to prevent the order from applying to him, so clearly others disagree. I don't think a majority, and I get the impression the police here are enforcing the orders and concerned for their own safety in that they are on the front lines of having to deal with people who may have the virus and are not compliant. (Mostly enforcement is ticketing and breaking things up.)

To clarify, I have concerns far short of intentional violations of restrictions.

I think there's a difference between effective social distancing and nominal, perfunctory compliance with the bare letter of restrictions. I don't have a lot of faith that folks wearing homemade cloth masks and bandanas (not their fault -- that's what's available), touching their faces right over their mouths and noses about every 20 seconds (based on my observations of folks in essential businesses and out walking -- I've even seen this in interviews with medical personnel on local news), mistaking three feet for six feet, not comprehending that talking when you're standing that close to someone presents increased risk, just as sneezing or coughing does .... I don't have a lot of faith with that as our baseline, that lifting restrictions with rules about social distancing will lead to effective social distancing.

Not sure why this is the response to my post, but I will say that I don't think people are mistaking 6 ft for 3, and most of the time in my neighborhood I see 6 ft of distancing, and it's easy outside.

Masks are a mixed bag, of course.

I really don't see a big deal with opening up curbside pickup and most outdoor spaces.

The issue with violations of social distancing aren't people mistaking 6 ft for 3 ft, but people who, for whatever reason, don't care at all, like a crazy huge house party that was shut down here or people trying to make points for social media. I don't get it, but it's happening.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    This explanation fits my observations much better than the "people are using more household TP and less commercial TP" story: https://nationalpost.com/life/covid-19-toilet-paper-shortage

I'm not arguing it's untrue that people use more at home, just that it isn't so much more that it can explain the severity of shortage I am seeing. Then again, it sounds like the severity I am seeing is much worse than what people in other parts of the U.S. are seeing.
  • lemurcat2

With the lock down being effectively over in the USA where law enforcement are not authorized to mow down unarmed citizens with machine guns . . .

Dude, what on earth?

I noted I was only speaking about USA laws. The news article explains how states are removing more and more restraints on people. This will help prevent social unrest even if medically if it is a step backwards. No one knows what to do in these times.

Even with the restrictions, nobody was authorized to mow down unarmed citizens with machine guns. This is the kind of rhetoric that is incredibly unhelpful. I don't even know how you got there. It's like some kind of fever dream fantasy.

Have you been reading about the mental health issues related to COVID-19? I just see an undercurrent that is dangerous for the safety of law officers. Some are losing everything and we know alcohol sales are up and gun sales are up. Did you read Cwolfmann's link over the number of COVID-19 deaths?

Law officers are starting to stand down over governors orders because they understand the time/risk factor on unproven restrictions is increasing. I think everyone posting here wants to do what is best and understand they are going to get COVID-19 sooner or later but want it to be much later.

We know with the schools closed it is causing some kids harm because they may not have a safe environment and food like when the schools were open. The schools will not be opening in 4 months from now if we do not get more COVID-19 cases behind us. Sweden may be proven wrong yet time will tell.

https://aljazeera.com/news/2020/04/sweden-avoids-full-lockdown-pm-insists-restrictions-continue-200420173945004.html

According to some metrics, like alcohol sales, it is totally possible that people are drinking more. I still don't understand how you get to law enforcement being authorized to "mow down unarmed citizens."

Maybe I'm wrong, but I read Gale to be sad police were not authorized to use machine guns to mow down unarmed citizens. I hope he corrects me if I am wrong.

Alcohol sales are up across the board in the US. Gun sales are up in Kentucky, which might be affecting Gale's POV. Crime is up here, so I somewhat get it, although shooting a cop (or anyone) is still not in my imagination, so I don't get that.
  • lemurcat2
    earlnabby wrote: »
    jo_nz wrote: »
    The only grocery item I am continuing to have trouble finding is yeast!
    Luckily sliced bread supplies have settled down, so it's not a big deal, but I do like to bake bread on a fairly regular basis.

Other than that, there has been the odd thing out of stock, but mostly easily substituted for something similar.

Oh, and hand sanitiser I think is a rare thing, but being home on lockdown, I haven't needed to replenish my small supply.

Might be time to harvest all of that wild yeast in the air and try sourdough starter. I am having fun with mine.

Nice day to work on my garden!
  • lemurcat2
    edited April 2020
    This explanation fits my observations much better than the "people are using more household TP and less commercial TP" story: https://nationalpost.com/life/covid-19-toilet-paper-shortage

I'm not arguing it's untrue that people use more at home, just that it isn't so much more that it can explain the severity of shortage I am seeing. Then again, it sounds like the severity I am seeing is much worse than what people in other parts of the U.S. are seeing.

As I noted before, I went to the grocery store at 6 pm and got TP, so at this point it seems a regional issue. Maybe TN is more of a hoarder state.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member

As I noted before, I went to the grocery store at 6 pm and got TP, so at this point it seems a regional issue. Maybe TN is more of a hoarder state.

Yes, I've heard from people I know in NE, IA, and IN that tell me they can get it also. I just don't understand why we are different, but very well could be that there are more hoarders here. It could also be that it just isn't getting shipped here. I don't know, but it bothers me.

I am surprised TP is still an issue. I'm in IL and when this started back in March everyone hoarded TP and PT (paper towel). Now we have no problem. The problem now is I cannot find hand sanitizer, Lysol or wipes anywhere.

I did break down and got two 4 oz bottles of hand sanitizer from a Shell gas station for $6.99 per bottle. :/
  • lemurcat2

Yes, I've heard from people I know in NE, IA, and IN that tell me they can get it also. I just don't understand why we are different, but very well could be that there are more hoarders here. It could also be that it just isn't getting shipped here. I don't know, but it bothers me.

Seems like more hoarders in TN. That doesn't really surprise me,
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited April 2020

With the lock down being effectively over in the USA where law enforcement are not authorized to mow down unarmed citizens with machine guns . . .

Dude, what on earth?

I noted I was only speaking about USA laws. The news article explains how states are removing more and more restraints on people. This will help prevent social unrest even if medically if it is a step backwards. No one knows what to do in these times.

Even with the restrictions, nobody was authorized to mow down unarmed citizens with machine guns. This is the kind of rhetoric that is incredibly unhelpful. I don't even know how you got there. It's like some kind of fever dream fantasy.

Have you been reading about the mental health issues related to COVID-19? I just see an undercurrent that is dangerous for the safety of law officers. Some are losing everything and we know alcohol sales are up and gun sales are up. Did you read Cwolfmann's link over the number of COVID-19 deaths?

Law officers are starting to stand down over governors orders because they understand the time/risk factor on unproven restrictions is increasing. I think everyone posting here wants to do what is best and understand they are going to get COVID-19 sooner or later but want it to be much later.

We know with the schools closed it is causing some kids harm because they may not have a safe environment and food like when the schools were open. The schools will not be opening in 4 months from now if we do not get more COVID-19 cases behind us. Sweden may be proven wrong yet time will tell.

https://aljazeera.com/news/2020/04/sweden-avoids-full-lockdown-pm-insists-restrictions-continue-200420173945004.html

According to some metrics, like alcohol sales, it is totally possible that people are drinking more. I still don't understand how you get to law enforcement being authorized to "mow down unarmed citizens."

Alcohol sales are up across the board in the US. Gun sales are up in Kentucky, which might be affecting Gale's POV. Crime is up here, so I somewhat get it, although shooting a cop (or anyone) is still not in my imagination, so I don't get that.

My n=1 is I am for sure drinking more right now ☺️ Didn't buy any guns though, that's not my jam. Though interestingly the VA legislature just ruled that while shooting ranges are not "essential" under the current def, they are covered under the 2nd amendment so they must be allowed to stay open if they choose. Not sure I agree, but I'm not too concerned with that one way or another. I'd rather folks shoot there than other places

Here in the Charlottesville area crime is actually down. Its a pretty safe place to live regardless, but there was a story on the local news about how local police are being used more to distribute meals & supplies, help with social services, and doing more community outreach type stuff as there's less need especially for traffic and parking enforcement as well.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    On the TP thing. Besides going when the store first opens I go to stores that are large chains that have their own warehouses and distribution networks. Kroger here in Washington has had everything I wanted every time I went - including TP - although in early March the shelves were fairly empty - but I still bought some each time I went.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    I went to two stores on Saturday, looking for rice for my sick dog. No luck. Today I went back to the same two. There was none in the larger chain store, but they had hand sanitzer and Chlorox bleach up near the checkout line. The smaller store had both white and brown rice. Small boxes, but at least I got some. I've only seen TP twice in the past 6 weeks. Walmart had some small packages, and i bought two as backup. Then a week later DH found a 16 pack. Now we don't have to think about it. My husband also found a box of supplies he had stored in the garage in case of disaster about 6 years ago. I knew nothing about it. We now have enough mac n'cheese, Spam, and dried milk to get us through a couple of weeks.

For the person looking for dried milk: an Hispanic grocery or the Hispanic section of your grocery might sell it as NIDO. It's whole milk, rather than the skim that is usually sold. We use it backpacking.

FYI: If the mac n'cheese has been sitting out there for 6 years there's a good chance the cheese powder has gone off. If the color is more brown than orange it won't taste good. Noodles should be fine to use though.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited April 2020
    kimny72 wrote: »

Dude, what on earth?

My n=1 is I am for sure drinking more right now ☺️ Didn't buy any guns though, that's not my jam. Though interestingly the VA legislature just ruled that while shooting ranges are not "essential" under the current def, they are covered under the 2nd amendment so they must be allowed to stay open if they choose. Not sure I agree, but I'm not too concerned with that one way or another. I'd rather folks shoot there than other places

Here in the Charlottesville area crime is actually down. Its a pretty safe place to live regardless, but there was a story on the local news about how local police are being used more to distribute meals & supplies, help with social services, and doing more community outreach type stuff as there's less need especially for traffic and parking enforcement as well.

I can physically only shoot 2 guns at any given time since I am not dextrous enough to shoot with either foot. So I was covered long before the pandemic was a thing. I haven't even tried to buy a gun all year. Meanwhile, I am working on increasing dexterity in toes, but that has nothing to do with shooting and more related to specific running strength.

Here in TN, the increase in handgun sales in 2020 and in concealed carry permits has a lot more to do with legal changes than the pandemic. Prior to Jan. 1, all handgun licenses here required both a class and specific range qualifying standards. On Jan. 1, those of us with existing handgun licenses became "enhanced" license holders (similar to the MS "enhanced" licenses) and a new "concealed only" license became available. To get a "concealed only" license, one must take a class only. No shooting qualification is required for that new version of handgun license. Consequently, more people got this license and more handguns have been sold in 2020.

ETA: Class for concealed carry license can be done online and the fingerprinting can be done at some essential businesses like I know locally, the UPS store does this. Only thing I dont know is if the state Driver Service center is open to gake the application and photo for new licenses.

Either way, increased gun sales could also be due to licenses applied for before state Driver Service centers would have closed, if they did at all late Mar. Increased gun sales, at least in TN. are partly due to laws making it easier to get a carry license.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member

I've seen it on the shelves in MI, too. They're sometimes low stock, and early on some were no-stock (week or so?), but it's definitely available, and I'm hearing the same impressions from local friends, FWIW.

kimny72 wrote: »

Dude, what on earth?

FWIW, most outdoor shooting ranges (based on ones I've been to) should be able to maintain 6-foot distancing without much difficulty. I don't have much experience with indoor ranges (enough rural areas here I've mostly shot outside), and their design may differ, but it's not unusual for them to have partitions (not necessarily full walls, but a barrier) between stations. The big ones could go every other position for bigger distancing. Might not be too terrible, on the scale of "able to stay safe". Whether they take those steps is a whole other matter, of course.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    I am in Iowa. Daughter was in Costco a week ago & still no TP. When I have done an online for pickup at grocery store, TP was one thing I did not receive. Getting about 1/2-3/4 of what we order for other stuff. But Target had a bunch of TP according to son in law, so he got some for us, lol.

Our Governor is starting to open up 77 of 99 counties on Friday because they show no or little virus activity. The rest still shut down until at least May 15. Our daily positive case numbers are about 4x higher than a week ago, but they say it is because they are testing more. I feel like it shows that there is more spread than we knew.