Coronavirus prep

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

It's about time! The photo they shared of the LSD path a day earlier was a completely different image. I'm glad Mayor Lightfoot put a stop to that.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

It's about time! The photo they shared of the LSD path a day earlier was a completely different image. I'm glad Mayor Lightfoot put a stop to that.

Agreed.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    @AnnPT77 my pastor just put out a call saying his wife is asking church members to help her make masks based upon a few patterns she's found online. Are these masks considered disposable, or can they be washed and re-used, or bleached or something?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    mkculs13 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Manufacturers have increased production and others are converting lines to help with production...but it's not like flipping a switch and all of a sudden ventilators and PPE equipment comes rolling off these lines. Also, these companies supply a global market, not just the USA. It's a global market and global demand for a global crisis.

It's not quite as easy as snapping one's fingers and getting production to match worldwide demand. Not particularly a fan of this administration, but they're pretty limited in what they can really do here. The only thing they could really do is basically take control of the US stockpile as an emergency and distribute them where they see most fit...but at current, there would still be shortages around the country.

There are numerous articles showing production of new ventilators has not started, at least as of a few days ago. Decisive action, based on the information coming out of China, would have made a difference.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marleycoyne/2020/03/23/gm-and-ford-are-not-yet-making-ventilators-despite-trumps-assertion/#3e7ef6214784

Also: "What is really needed, a number of public health experts and former government officials say, is for Washington to take control of the nation’s existing ventilator supply. Because peak coronavirus infections will hit cities and regions at different times in the coming months, a centralized federal effort could send unused machines to hospitals that need them most." https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/health/ventilators-coronavirus.html

Elon Musk stated it would take them 8-10 weeks to get a line to produce ventilators. Not sure if he was thinking of 3D printing like they use in building their rocket engines but metal 3D printers may not be required so the more common plastic 3D printers could work I expect base on the article below.

https://3dnatives.com/en/3d-printed-respirator-230320205/

• RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Also. I think they prefer the ones with ties rather than elastic because of the high temps they use for sanitizing. If one is making them for home use, I think elastic is fine.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    edited March 2020
    @AnnPT77 my pastor just put out a call saying his wife is asking church members to help her make masks based upon a few patterns she's found online. Are these masks considered disposable, or can they be washed and re-used, or bleached or something?
    That’s my question... because, I admit quite selfishly, I don’t want to use my pretty fabric if they are just going to be tossed :neutral: I have a resource for quite a bit of older fabric I was told I could have, though!

ETA: thanks for the added info! I was posting and hubby came in from work so there was a few minutes lag, enough time for others to chime in!

• ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Not my carrier but- apparently Verizon is providing free data to their (its?) customers. The message my relative received said "We have added 15GB of data to your plan at no charge for use from 3/25-4/30. No action is needed." I have ATT, I don't know if they are doing something similar.
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 585 Member
    In slightly creepy synchronicity I’m in the UK, watching an old (2005) Australian hospital drama on Prime.

A Spanish man with a Diplomatic passport is admitted to the ER with pneumonia like symptoms. Visa stamps in his passport indicate he was most recently in China. The doctors stare wide eyed at each other and say ‘coronavirus’!

I’m waiting to see if the episode ends in his death or recovery! 😱😂

What's the series called?

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    All Saints - series 8 ep 23
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I think it may depend on who gets them. I believe at least one of our local health systems is considering them reusable, based on how they phrased it on their list of what they're accepting. They're washable, so should be sanitizable. I don't know if they use bleach, or some other method. The ones I've seen are made from normal quilting type cotton, but multi-layer. Anecdotally (i.e., people on Facebook, not publicity from those health organizations), some health care staff are using them as covers for N-95 masks, to prolong useful life of the latter.

It is my understanding some will use an autoclave and others will use high temp water, the same as they do for fabric scrubs and scrub caps.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    COGypsy wrote: »
    That’s my question... because, I admit quite selfishly, I don’t want to use my pretty fabric if they are just going to be tossed :neutral: I have a resource for quite a bit of older fabric I was told I could have, though!

ETA: thanks for the added info! I was posting and hubby came in from work so there was a few minutes lag, enough time for others to chime in!

My mother and I were just laughing yesterday about people making fabric masks. We're pretty sure every quilter on the planet of Earth is probably chortling about how this is the time they've been waiting for all their lives--a deep societal need for items made from all the fabric remnants they've been stashing for years! :D

I know the introverts thought this was their time to shine, but it looks like it's the quilters that are going to save the world!

Based on previous calls to crafters for help (like the recent call for mittens to help koalas burned in the Aussie wildfires) there will soon come a time when health organizations will have to say "Stahhhhhp!". Isolate a crafter in the house with their stash and a project and mayhem ensues.

Not making masks right now. I am working on another project to donate to a kitten rescue for their fundraiser. I DID find some suitable fabric in my stash so I can if I stay isolated longer.