Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Coronavirus prep

Replies

• GaleHawkinsGaleHawkins Posts: 7,710Member Member Posts: 7,710Member Member
    Spoke too soon. After 2 days of a downward trend in new cases, the North jumped again. Sigh.

Do you hear any reasons why Germany has a much lower death rate than Italy?
  • NovusDiesNovusDies Posts: 7,140Member, Premium Member Posts: 7,140Member, Premium Member
    I think it should be no surprise that the virus hits some people harder even if they have no underlying medical condition. Aren't there always some that do not fit the profile? Is there any reason to believe the outlier percentage will significantly increase at this time?

• snowflake954snowflake954 Posts: 4,666Member Member Posts: 4,666Member Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Spoke too soon. After 2 days of a downward trend in new cases, the North jumped again. Sigh.

Because Germany has been way more proactive in testing and tracking, not just social distancing and shutting things down. The last I checked, Germany was testing 160K + per day and immediately quarantining those infected and then tracing their movements and contacts and quarantining those individuals as well. From what I understand in Italy, it was much the same as the USA...an early laissez faire approach and attitude and only really testing when people are symptomatic to leave a whole bunch of non symptomatic people who are infected running around and infecting others

South Korea had the same general approach as Germany, and both of those countries have fared far better than anyone else in this.

Actually, they did quarantine and track the first cases, and put them in strict quarantine. A Chinese couple came down with COV19 in Rome in the very beginning. The entire hotel was tested and quarantined, as was the rest of their group that had proceeded on in their travels. That's why everyone thought it was under control, that and "it's just the flu". Suddenly the virus exploded in the North and snowballed fast. To be fair, no one yet knew how contagious this was and how fast it could spread. There is talk here that Germany had a case in November. So maybe they knew more before we did.
  • snowflake954snowflake954 Posts: 4,666Member Member Posts: 4,666Member Member

Because Germany has been way more proactive in testing and tracking, not just social distancing and shutting things down. The last I checked, Germany was testing 160K + per day and immediately quarantining those infected and then tracing their movements and contacts and quarantining those individuals as well. From what I understand in Italy, it was much the same as the USA...an early laissez faire approach and attitude and only really testing when people are symptomatic to leave a whole bunch of non symptomatic people who are infected running around and infecting others

South Korea had the same general approach as Germany, and both of those countries have fared far better than anyone else in this.

Actually, they did quarantine and track the first cases, and put them in strict quarantine. A Chinese couple came down with COV19 in Rome in the very beginning. The entire hotel was tested and quarantined, as was the rest of their group that had proceeded on in their travels. That's why everyone thought it was under control, that and "it's just the flu". Suddenly the virus exploded in the North and snowballed fast. To be fair, no one yet knew how contagious this was and how fast it could spread. There is talk here that Germany had a case in November. So maybe they knew more before we did.

What I meant was that Germany was/is providing testing even for those without symptoms or anything to suggest they have the virus. South Korea has done much the same.

We're testing and quarantining and tracking as well...but we in the US aren't testing until someone is symptomatic.

Thank you for clearing that up--yes, testing wasn't done unless one had symptoms or had been in contact. It costs money to test an entire population and you need enough testing kits available.
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Posts: 14,253Member Member Posts: 14,253Member Member

What I meant was that Germany was/is providing testing even for those without symptoms or anything to suggest they have the virus. South Korea has done much the same.

We're testing and quarantining and tracking as well...but we in the US aren't testing until someone is symptomatic.

And in some areas, not testing all those who are symptomatic, if tests are still in short supply - some areas seem still to be testing just severe symptoms.
  • RuatineRuatine Posts: 3,437Member Member Posts: 3,437Member Member
    I don't know if anyone saw this, but the US (per Worldometers) is now the country with the highest number of cases and rising rapidly.

Yep, just saw that on the JHU map too. :neutral: And there are people who still don't think this is serious.....
    edited March 26
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 4,960Member Member Posts: 4,960Member Member
    I don't know if anyone saw this, but the US (per Worldometers) is now the country with the highest number of cases and rising rapidly.

Looks like the numbers of new cases really jumped today lots of places.

IL had been 250 more, 250 more, 300 more since the increased testing really started rolling in and then today +671 (total over 2500). Deaths up from 19 to 26 too.

People did seem to take social distancing way more seriously when I was outside today, at least, although few were out anyway since it was wet and grey.
    edited March 26
  • bmeadows380bmeadows380 Posts: 1,930Member Member Posts: 1,930Member Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

And in some areas, not testing all those who are symptomatic, if tests are still in short supply - some areas seem still to be testing just severe symptoms.

That's the way it is still here in WV. I think when I looked at the state health department website this morning, we had tested just over 1,000 people. There are still all sorts of stories of people who have all the symptoms but aren't considered bad enough to test.

On another note, I noticed today on the John Hopkins map, which is now doing county level in the US, that there is a case cropped up less than an hour away from me and in the town in which my brother and sister in law and niece live, though for my brother's sanity, I truly hope my sister in law doesn't find out. She's already panicking as it is!
  • MikePfirrmanMikePfirrman Posts: 1,318Member Member Posts: 1,318Member Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Looks like the numbers of new cases really jumped today lots of places.

IL had been 250 more, 250 more, 300 more since the increased testing really started rolling in and then today +671 (total over 2500). Deaths up from 19 to 26 too.

People did seem to take social distancing way more seriously when I was outside today, at least, although few were out anyway since it was wet and grey.

To be fair, this was to be expected, since we hadn't been testing. And, compared to Italy, it's a lot more spread out. Bring on the heat. I think that will slow it along with continued social distancing measures, which not enough are following.
  • AthijadeAthijade Posts: 1,992Member Member Posts: 1,992Member Member
    Lots of tests came in today. We are up to 4,651 tested and 645 positive. 17 deaths. It is still concentrating in the same way as before. I am for sure in a hot spot for the state and I only see it getting worse.

I NEED to get to CVS this weekend and just hope they have what I need. May also check out what they have grocery wise too. If I can get there early Saturday then I can adjust my grocery list for Instacart on Monday morning.
  • JRsLateInLifeMomJRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 1,749Member Member Posts: 1,749Member Member
    USA 🇺🇸 today has the most cases of Coronavirus numbers came in an hour ago
    x4rgd6odkauc.jpeg
    lte68rp9183l.jpeg
    gz30er704b9j.jpeg
    yhshbmzn4ojl.jpeg
    jlgml2s1lti7.jpeg
    n6ij9ibonfg4.jpeg
    7asvod0f271p.jpeg
    f246xj9oem06.jpeg
    bf6ryflphm0g.jpeg
    3t1ua40xsedo.png
  • JRsLateInLifeMomJRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 1,749Member Member Posts: 1,749Member Member
    Yes trying to upload with a 3yr old pushing buttons the MFP won’t let me edit so enjoy the cartoons he tossed in.

He also claims he needs to wash his hands every time he sees One of the Congress men so thinking in a speech they mentioned it the baby took it to heart so missing a lot of news as I wash his hands.