Coronavirus prep

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    mkculs13 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Manufacturers have increased production and others are converting lines to help with production...but it's not like flipping a switch and all of a sudden ventilators and PPE equipment comes rolling off these lines. Also, these companies supply a global market, not just the USA. It's a global market and global demand for a global crisis.

It's not quite as easy as snapping one's fingers and getting production to match worldwide demand. Not particularly a fan of this administration, but they're pretty limited in what they can really do here. The only thing they could really do is basically take control of the US stockpile as an emergency and distribute them where they see most fit...but at current, there would still be shortages around the country.

There are numerous articles showing production of new ventilators has not started, at least as of a few days ago. Decisive action, based on the information coming out of China, would have made a difference.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marleycoyne/2020/03/23/gm-and-ford-are-not-yet-making-ventilators-despite-trumps-assertion/#3e7ef6214784

Also: "What is really needed, a number of public health experts and former government officials say, is for Washington to take control of the nation’s existing ventilator supply. Because peak coronavirus infections will hit cities and regions at different times in the coming months, a centralized federal effort could send unused machines to hospitals that need them most." https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/health/ventilators-coronavirus.html

Yeah...that's pretty much what I said...you don't just snap your fingers and convert manufacturing lines. It'll take weeks, if not months for Ford, GM, etc to convert lines. There has been some increased production as GE, the world's largest supplier of ventilators did start around the clock production. I also mentioned the federal government taking over the US stockpile...doing that will help in epicenters, but also leave others lacking. I think they should, but it still won't fully make up for a supply shortage.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    supposedly, the virus has made it to my county; however, I could find only one report on it on one local tv station's website and cannot confirm it anywhere else.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    I think quite a lot is being withheld from the public in the U.S. How is it that we have 68,000 reported positive tests yet only 995 deaths?

I don't believe either of those numbers. I think they are both much higher.

actually, John Hopkins is showing over 92,000 positive and 1,380 deaths:

gzdgbfts2c53.png

Yeah, I was using WHO numbers as of yesterday's reporting time/at closing.