Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    *edit* NM. I don't have the energy to defend that post.

Sweet dreams everyone.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,756 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    So there was a rally in one of our towns with one person declaring "They didn't die of it....They died with it." They were all going to die within 6 months anyway. They were sick to begin with."

As my grandfather used to say, 'There's so many brains in this place because no one is using any.'

May I steal that? (come to think of that, I've said the same for some other quotes you've posted)
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    So there was a rally in one of our towns with one person declaring "They didn't die of it....They died with it." They were all going to die within 6 months anyway. They were sick to begin with."

As my grandfather used to say, 'There's so many brains in this place because no one is using any.'

May I steal that? (come to think of that, I've said the same for some other quotes you've posted)

Go ahead. I'm a throwback to the wild, wild west and family traditions because we've been here for a very long time. Their words matter to me, especially now. We are bent on survival.
  • cmriverside
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Yeah, the unfortunate thing is that the initial outbreaks came in nursing homes and yeah - the ones here in Washington were in a hospice.

So I can see how people got the idea that it was only the elderly and infirm, and really if you look at the numbers it still mostly is, as far as deaths. There are a lot more cases for the younger ones, but many more deaths per case as age increases.

At least in my state the demographics are:

https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/Coronavirus

4hqwabhw20yz.png

kvt0nix5mjid.png
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering because they don't really say or explain in detail What and how are they treating these people in the hospitals or outpatients. What kind of meds are they giving them. They don't say. Prednisone and standard antibiotics, breathing treatments with albuterol. Maybe they're throwing everything UP against the wall,too. I'm wondering what Rx's or standard treatments they're being given. I've heard about the oxygen on their stomach protocol and that's all we had here at home. The survivors, what Rx's were they given.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Chicago's latest:

60% of deaths are in people 70+

18% in people 60-69

12% in people 50-59

7% in people 40-49

Smaller percentages below that.

But as I understand it, the number of hospitalizations is not so skewed to the elderly, and people hospitalized but not on a ventilator usually recover, so running out of hospitalization space would be disastrous to the otherwise healthy or younger folks who get this. (See, e.g., Boris Johnson in the ICU.)

Current IL numbers on available hospital or ICU beds is pretty good, and interestingly enough less bad in Chicago (where the largest number of cases are focused) than elsewhere in the state, likely because urban areas often have more hospitals, etc.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Interestingly we have more women infected in Italy, but more men die from the virus.
  • cmriverside
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Interestingly we have more women infected in Italy, but more men die from the virus.

Yeah, my graphs above show the same stats.

I figured 1. There are more women who are likely to go and get tested. Probably there are generally more women than men in the older age brackets and 2. Men are more likely to be out of the home and in more risky professions that include inhaling contaminants, but are also more likely to drink and smoke and not eat very well and not really take as many precautions about basic health. Seems to be some kind of weird macho thing.

Additionally, in our area older people are being tested at a higher rate than younger. Younger people are being advised to stay home if they feel sick and only go for testing if they get seriously ill.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,803 Member
    Options
    :#:# You know what is crazy? The original ship 🚢 of the damned still has active and critical cases.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I can't remember where i heard this, mainstreem news is all I hear. The cause of higher male deaths were considered to have something to do with the single x chromosome, women having two therefore the female body has two immume imputs thought one is usually dominant. (UK) Testing is really difficult more or less everywhere. The comodidites needed to create, is it the reagents are depleated because its an international need. Another issue is the accuracy of the tests where the tests are inaccurate there is a greater risk of spread. Regretably there are always people who will try to make money off the backs of desperate people.

Here in the last couple of days testing has been opened up to keyworkers and family members who are symptomatic, the sites have been over subscribed. The expectation is as number of testing opportunities increase and those being tested things should eventually balance out. There needs to be something by way of support given to those who put the" care and support of our societies" before themselves, if this is all we can offer at least for now, its a relief.

Best wishes to everyone, keep safe.