Coronavirus prep

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Yeah guess I can't talk. I'm kind of rebelious sometimes. I just want everyone to be ok. I was doing the washing the groceries too and now stopped and the leaving it to sit for a few days. Over it all. I feel I was a bit paranoid really about how clean everything was if I left the house. That is not good. I feel better I've let it go a bit now.
  • mockchoc
    Here's a pic from Huntington Beach in CA from today. Yeah, I think people have given up on social distancing, at least at the beaches here. I grew up between HB and Newport Beach in CA and while this isn't crowded by many standards, I don't think folks are really obeying the rules here. No clue what that might mean but as a 70 year old, I kind of think I'm going to be staying home for a long time even though I'd love nothing better than to go to the beach. :'(

vp59jmnvwxyi.jpg

Wow. That is just so wrong.
  • mockchoc
    yes I'm sure rebelliousness is not confined to USA- and obviously there are degrees too.

from mass protests to the person who just went to the shop for a non essential item or excercised for 5 mins more than the allowed time or whatever minor infraction applies to rules where you live

I am unaware of any actual group protests here like I have seen in US though.

whether that says we are less rebellious, less organised, just less of us - who knows?

also of course we are not at the "'there is no way to contain it at this point" place here - in SA where I live it is contained, and new cases are down to single figures in the last week - total new cases for the week was 3, I think. Only 33 active cases remain in the state. (all in isolation, of course)

Last time I checked we've had zero here new cases in in 2 or 3 weeks. No deaths yet. No one in hospital right now. I don't really like our government but they are doing something right. Only cases are from overseas travellers.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    So, yesterday my state (Tennessee) had its largest single-day increase in number of cases so far. Day after tomorrow the state reopens. In what universe does this make sense?

The political universe. It would really be more surprising if you did not open.
  • lemurcat2
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    If some people don't see something, it's unpersuasive. And seeing "people not dying from a virus" or "hospitals not being overwhelmed in most places" is not "seeing something". Seeing nothing is unpersuasive.

Ann I haven't quoted your whole post and its interesting paralells to Covid 19 crisis - but yes I can see exactly this same phenomenon in area in which I work

Vaccinations: what can be seen: minor side effects like sore arm, redness, swelling, muscle ache
    What can't be seen; no case of polio, tetanus, measles etc

Along with, like Covid restrictions, some The government cant tell me what to do, its not a nanny state, type thinking

So I won't get my children/myself vaccinated because I had a really sore arm afterwards and the government cant tell me what to do and and nobody gets polio/tetanus/measles these days anyway m0946.gif

Interesting you mention "The government cant tell me what to do". I don't live in the USA but in conversation with my wife i predicted that Americans would protest the restrictions. The overriding claim of liberty, freedom, and rights, would never tolerate lockdowns and curfews like everybody else in the world. Now the protests have started. And the freedom to "do as I please" will be everyone's downfall.

I reread Connie Willis's The Doomsday Book at the beginning of all this, and recommend it in general for anyone who likes time travel fiction, but there also are some interesting parallels to the current situation, including Americans not accepting quarantine (and allegedly not having done so with a virus epidemic in the 21st century).

We actually are doing better than I think the book projects.
  • lemurcat2
    edited April 2020
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how the US protests are being reported in other countries, but sometimes I feel like media in one country don't necessarily get the full picture across exactly proportional to reality, when they're covering stories in another country. (I'm not saying "other countries get the US wrong", I'm saying media in many countries are a little off-tone sometimes when reporting on countries that are not their own.)

I believe that the protest in Lansing, Michigan, US, was one of the larger ones in the US, if not the largest so far. (I live in Michigan, near Lansing.)

From what I've heard the one in IL (in Springfield) was about 20 people, so I am not taking it all that seriously. I think it's basically an ill-designed Trump rally.

Also this: https://www.businessinsider.com/michiganders-approve-of-whitmer-on-coronavirus-despite-protests-poll-2020-4

And as noted before, I respect Ohio's governor DeWine, who is doing what he thinks is right (even if he is an OSU fan, but that's not as bad as being an MSU fan). ;-)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member
    Ann, yes I get that the number of people protesting is quite a small percentage (and not sure where the brandishing guns part came in?) - nevertheless - again reporting facts - there have been no such group protests that I know of in Australia of any size.

Individual people breaking rules in relatively small ways - having illegal parties, doing non essential travel, etc - yes they are here as in all countries.
    and there have been fines for non compliance

But organised protests of any sort - none that I have heard of.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    The Memphis protest had like three guys at it. It rained, and no one was invested enough in the protest to get wet. One of the three wasn’t even from here, he drove in from Fayette county.

The few protesters we do have in Tennessee are a nasty breed, however. Nashville had some chick with a sign that said “Sacrifice the Weak.” Sign went viral. I always wonder, don’t any of these people have elderly parents? Or do they just really not like them much?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »
    yes I'm sure rebelliousness is not confined to USA- and obviously there are degrees too.

from mass protests to the person who just went to the shop for a non essential item or excercised for 5 mins more than the allowed time or whatever minor infraction applies to rules where you live

whether that says we are less rebellious, less organised, just less of us - who knows?

also of course we are not at the "'there is no way to contain it at this point" place here - in SA where I live it is contained, and new cases are down to single figures in the last week - total new cases for the week was 3, I think. Only 33 active cases remain in the state. (all in isolation, of course)

Last time I checked we've had zero here new cases in in 2 or 3 weeks. No deaths yet. No one in hospital right now. I don't really like our government but they are doing something right. Only cases are from overseas travellers.

can i ask where your here is?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    I can't remember where i heard this, mainstreem news is all I hear. The cause of higher male deaths were considered to have something to do with the single x chromosome, women having two therefore the female body has two immume imputs thought one is usually dominant.

I read an article about this as well. I think it was in the NY Times or the Atlantic. I'm thinking a week or more back, but I find that "corona-time" is distorted, and most things feel like they were longer ago than they actually were, possibly because the news changes so quickly.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »

can i ask where your here is?

I believe Sue is Queensland.